• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UltraRick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Georgetown
    I am typing this so you know it came out okay.

Short version.
    I was deer hunting with a friend today with my cellphone set on vibrate. My phone rings and it my hunting partner's wife. I let it go to voicemail and then listened to it. It seems their home alarm was going off and no one was at home, she was at work. She could not get a hold of her husband and knew I was with him so she called me. I was set up about 250 yards behind the house and my friend was 200 yards beyond me. I tried to call him and got his voice mail and he had not replied to my text message from earlier.

I called her back and told her I would check it out (their home had a break in last May). I got down from my climber (left it in the woods) and went to the house. As I walked up to the back of the house, I looked in the driveway and there were no vehicles there. I went to the back door that was kicked in before and it was secure. As I was walking around to the front of the house I came face to face with a Harrison county deputy holding a Glock 40 and the low ready position. We seen each other at about the same time. I was in camo with a orange stocking cap on carrying a T/C .50 caliber muzzleloader. He had pulled in after I went to check the back door.

Thank God he held his fire! :yesway:
    The deputy recognized me from the break in last May (I was the first person there when they had the break-in last May). He was the same officer that responded to the last break in. We checked out the rest of the house and found it secure.

Kudos to the deputy for his quick arrival and calmness after confronting an ugly camo-ed hunter with a loaded rifle in the side yard (me).

The alarm was set off by a motion sensor from their dog. I went back to get my friend and found out he had left his phone on the charger in his house.

Last edited:

Viper393

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Clark County
    I had a similar experience a couple of years ago but no weapons were drawn. I was about 1/2 mile from my house when ADT called and said my alarm was tripped. They asked if I wanted them to call the police and I said don't bother because I would be at the house before they could place the call. I got home and didn't find any signs of forced entry and no cars in the driveway. I was in the driveway when our local PD showed up (ADT called them anyway). He was a new officer and looked about 15. He walked up to me with his hand on his weapon and I told him I was the homeowner and everything was ok. We chatted for a minute and he got back in his car and started backing out of the driveway when I saw the lightbulb go off over his head. He pulled back up, got out and asked to see some identification. I told him I was wondering when he would remember to verify that I was actually the homeowner.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Muzzleloader

Running into bad guys while armed only with a muzzleloader led me to start bringing my daily carry gun along when hunting. You're lucky you ran into a friendly and not a bad guy armed with that 40.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My experience was little funny!

it was a year or more ago the in the middle of trhe night we were awakened at our NE side home in indy by lights and noises outside. While I was retrieving my 1911, My wife cracked the front door open and yelled "You'd better get the f--- out of here." The response was "Police, Ma'am!" We found out the next day that a VP at 38 & Franklin had been robbed at gun point and they were searching for the suspect. I also scolded my wife for even opening the front door a little with out being armed!

UltraRick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Georgetown
    Running into bad guys while armed only with a muzzleloader led me to start bringing my daily carry gun along when hunting. You're lucky you ran into a friendly and not a bad guy armed with that 40.

I did have my carry weapon on me (P3AT). If there would have been any sign of someone there ( car, open door, etc.) I would have had it in my hand. Coming out of the woods, I could see the drive and no vehicles. If I am not in bed, I have a weapon on!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

I always have my G27 with me when I'm hunting.

How easy would it be to get a drop on a guy with a $400 treestand, $200 range finder, $350 scope on a $700 muzzleloader?

I started carrying mine when an uncle got robbed of his over/under a few years back.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Glad it all worked out. Just curious, did you immediately stop and put your hands up? In otherwords, quickly make sure he knew you were not a threat? I realize you recognized each other, but I'm sure that was in part good luck.

Just wondering what I would do if I was in a similar situation, and it was a case where the officer didn't know I wasn't the perp. Obviously I'd comply with all requests, plead my innocence, etc.

The reason why is because I was in a situation years back that could have been very bad for me based on circumstantial evidence.

Around 6 years ago last Easter, my buddy called me to go check on his parents, whom he hand't heard from that day (they were supposed to come visit him in Ohio and didn't show up).

I went to thier house, saw all the lights were off, and both vehicles were in the drive. I called him back, and we quickly came to the conclusion that something was wrong, such as maybe a gas leak or something that made them pass out, or something that would have otherwise caused them to not go visit and to also not answer the phone.

He asked me to go in and check on them, and told me where the spare key was. I told him I was uncomfortable doing that, especially since it was now about 11pm. I told him I thought we should call the police first and have them come do the check.

Cops came, and it turns out we made a good decision. The police entered the house, with me outside, and found his parents were dead, from a murder-suicide.

Had things been different, I may have gone into the house, found them (which I wouldn't have wanted to see anyway), and then had to call the cops AFTER I had entered. While I would have had a very good reason to have entered, it still would have been a potentially bad situation.

Anyway, I've replayed that situation thousands of times in my head, thinking about what I would have done if I had entered the house, and then the police showed up. There I would have been, in someone's house, late at night, with two dead bodies inside. Somewhat different circumstances than the OP, but also in the same vein with very circumstantial evidence that could in effect make the good samaritan (the buddy that goes and checks things out) look like a prime suspect.

Any else have thoughts?

UltraRick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Georgetown
    Glad it all worked out. Just curious, did you immediately stop and put your hands up? In otherwords, quickly make sure he knew you were not a threat? I realize you recognized each other, but I'm sure that was in part good luck.

I was holding my muzzleloader pointed to the ground and was not a threat to him. I think he was as surprised as I was, but he immediately recognized me.

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    You let a cop sneak up on you? That could be why you are still out trying to get a dear instead of eating one. In all seriousness though, sounds like you made the right plays on this one. And fortunately the officer you got seems to be a cool customer. Things could have played out differently with allot more explaining to do. Staring down a cops gun is always a memorable experience, you should try it with 5 state and 3 county when the guns are at your face.

UltraRick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Georgetown
    Staring down a cops gun is always a memorable experience, you should try it with 5 state and 3 county when the guns are at your face.

Uhhhh... No thanks!

Deputy527

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Indy WestSide
    Here is another perspective.

A woman calls stating that her estranged husband may be in her house, again. She had left her house and when she returned she found her garage door open. I'm a few miles away when I get the run. While enroute, a detective calls me on the cell and tells me to be careful, the guy was found hiding in one of her closets a month ago, holding a shotgun.

Arrive at the house, find a tactical position for the car and grab my patrol rifle. Second officer arrives and he decides he would carry only his handgun. We both enter through the garage and begin our search of the house. We get two thirds through the house when we hear a males voice and noise behind us!! Oh S*$t, did we miss this guy?

We return back the way we came and find a male standing in the kitchen. He has an AR and G21 pointed in the middle of his chest. I'm thinking things could go really really bad quick. The male does listen to our commands and we determine that this guy is the current boyfriend of the woman who called us. He saw our cars outside and decided to come in to ask 'is everything alright?'.

What scared me the most was at the moment we heard the noise, we both assumed we had missed locating this guy and now he was behind us, possibly armed and with an advantage. The immediate thought scared the crap out of me. I'm sure the boyfriend has a different perspective and reason for being scared! But we all did as we expected, gave commands, responded to commands, and we all went our separate ways.:)

While dealing with the boyfriend in the kitchen, I'm still faced with the same scenario. We didn't finish the search, hubby with shotgun may still be in the house and I'm vulnerable dealing with the boyfriend. Hubby could come from the back of the house and still get the drop on us while we are dealing with the boyfriend. Not a good feeling knowing there is a threat out there and you are vulnerable.

The estranged husband was not located in the house or property that evening. He had left before we had arrived.

Top Bottom