Facebook, Appleseed & an AK47 at 700 yards.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Still confused.
    Help this old Marine out. Did he shoot the pictured targets at 700rds?

Now you have me confused too. Not the targets held up by others. He said Army "D" targets which is man sized to my knowledge (half of a man - waist up).

You said that it is the AQT I see. Do you mean the pictures?

This is what we shoot at 25 yards:

astargets.jpg

I know the round will go that far (700 yrds) and that its really only matter of elevation so no it’s not unbelievable to hit a MAN sized target. The pictures are not man sized targets. Maybe hand size and at 700yds most can not see it. **** I hit a milk jug at 300 yrds with a 12 gauge slug after about 4 shots and holding it like a mortar. I just think this needs a little clarity, I guess to make me a true believer I need to see it for myself.

I do not see any actual pictures in that particular post, so assume was using full sized targets.

You want to see amazing shooting sit behind the 1000 yrd line during the National at Camp Perry this summer. Now days they are even using 5.56 that far, I am going to try it this year with an AR15. The rifle that you will not see there is the AK47. I am probably going to ruffle a few feathers by saying this but the AK47 is fine battle rifle, reliable, and scary as hell if you are the intended target. But I would not trust it past 300 yrds for that must make one shot one kill.

You ruffle no particular feathers. The AK was not designed for long range and that is what made the shooting so nice, i.e. that with a sling and a good position, he was able to get a group on target at 700 yards. As I read the article, he got 80% hit rate which is pretty darn good considering all the handicaps. That is very different than the shotgun example which would be a 25% hit rate. Many instructors thought the AK could never qualify and many do not like it as a platform. We tend to warn people away from it and if they really want to use it, we give hints that help (i.e. 10-20 round mags help alot).

I have been thinking about going to an Appleseed event but I am not interested in reduced targets and any distance under 200yrds is a waste of my time. Not be arrogant but I like to play in the wind. Are all AS events on these short ranges? For me the real reason for wanting to go is to learn more about our history and the fellowship with patriots. Ok another reason is I want to show off a little too.:D

Each Appleseed is different with some being short and long range and some are only short. Check as each comes up. If under 200 is a "waste", then you might have a problem. But consider this, we have people of all kinds who come, even highpower competitors and nearly all learn from the experience (not only history, but skill sets too). And I have yet to have someone come and ace the test from the get go. You want to be the first? Come on down!

More often people find it far, far more challenging than they ever thought. Between the lack of bench, the multiple positions, the size of the targets, etc. experienced shooters find the program something to work at. At the same time new shooters also manage to do quite well.

If you want to come and show off, be my guest as we can always use experienced shooters. At the same time be ready to learn at some level or the day may be no use. The history is the most vital part of the day, but the skills are something that everyone can learn something from.

Last time at Riley we did not realize it but we had a world class small bore shooter with us. He took two days to make rifleman. Two days. On reduced size, 25 yards range, small bore shooting. Go figure. But he did do it.

Mainly, we are looking to make a Nation of 4 MOA shooters, 4. Everyone I meet is a 1 MOA shooter until they get to the event and suddenly they are 6 MOA or more. Maybe it is the lack of benchrest, sled, whatever. But getting down to sub 4 with surplus ammo and surplus rifles - doing it like you would need to in the field and not in a match perfected state. Learning why it is that our Forefathers did what they did, and what skills they had to do it with, are what we do. And every single person I have met finds it a challenge and an inspiration.

Can some people shoot .25 MOA from a match rifle, with match ammo, and match gear? Sure. But that's not what we are looking for. We want men and women and kids who can plop down in a field with iron sights and surplus ammo and proceed to hammer a 3'x3' target at 500 with only the help of a simple web sling. They also are the people who will get to know the debt that they owe their ancestors that made this country a free nation.

I do hope we see you this year!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I can't WAIT to come! Everytime I read about it I get this bug building up inside. My girl don't understand it but by God I'm dragging her ass down there to learn something. If she doesn't want to shoot a whole bunch, fine. But at least she's free of charge and will still learn SOMETHING.

I know I'm not that great a shot. It's been years since I've been shooting prone, or kneeling. I was standing shooting with my SKS and was a HORRIBLE shot since it's heavy. But leaning against a tree I could steady myself.

I just want to learn and get better. What better place than an Appleseed!?!?

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Now you have me confused too. Not the targets held up by others. He said Army "D" targets which is man sized to my knowledge (half of a man - waist up).
    I do not see any actual pictures in that particular post, so assume was using full sized targets.

Ok I understand now, we take his word for it, I got no problem with that.

You ruffle no particular feathers. The AK was not designed for long range and that is what made the shooting so nice, i.e. that with a sling and a good position, he was able to get a group on target at 700 yards. As I read the article, he got 80% hit rate which is pretty darn good considering all the handicaps. That is very different than the shotgun example which would be a 25% hit rate. Many instructors thought the AK could never qualify and many do not like it as a platform. We tend to warn people away from it and if they really want to use it, we give hints that help (i.e. 10-20 round mags help alot).

The 25% hit rate was only because I had to use kentucky elevation.
    Once elevatin was set I bet the percentage goes way up.

He made those shots becasue he knew where to start from if that makes any since.

Each Appleseed is different with some being short and long range and some are only short. Check as each comes up. If under 200 is a "waste", then you might have a problem. But consider this, we have people of all kinds who come, even highpower competitors and nearly all learn from the experience (not only history, but skill sets too). And I have yet to have someone come and ace the test from the get go. You want to be the first? Come on down!

I shouldn't have said a waste of my time. Shooting any where any time is never a waste and I know there is all ways something to learn. I all ready have access to 100 and 200 yrds anytime I want, I only get to play in the wind a few times a year. When I do get some wind to read I really excel over most.

I doubt I would ace it so it still would be a challenge for me. I shoot the rifle like a lot of people play basketball. I like to talk trash, I don't know why that is but it makes me focus on what I need to do to make the shot. It’s like ok I opened up my mouth I better back it up. I don't like the taste of humble pie. (But I will eat it if I deserve it):D

Mainly, we are looking to make a Nation of 4 MOA shooters, 4. Everyone I meet is a 1 MOA shooter until they get to the event and suddenly they are 6 MOA or more. Maybe it is the lack of benchrest, sled, whatever. But getting down to sub 4 with surplus ammo and surplus rifles - doing it like you would need to in the field and not in a match perfected state. Learning why it is that our Forefathers did what they did, and what skills they had to do it with, are what we do. And every single person I have met finds it a challenge and an inspiration.

To make the rifle and pistol team in the Marines I first had to prove myself with the mil spec service weapons. No match barrels trigger jobs, spotting scopes or any other fancy high priced equipment. 6th award expert in both rifle (M16) and pistol (1911 and M9). The Marine Qualification test I would argue is harder then the Army’s at least it was when I served.

We want men and women and kids who can plop down in a field with iron sights and surplus ammo and proceed to hammer a 3'x3' target at 500 with only the help of a simple web sling.

I can do this now.
    They also are the people who will get to know the debt that they owe their ancestors that made this country a free nation.

This is what I am looking for, I think I have some understanding of this but I know I am missing a lot.

I do hope we see you this year!

If you are at the one ATM and Bill of Rights are going too you will see me there all so. I can only imagine what the camp fires will be like.

I all so want to bring my son and wife(maybe):D They will need a good coach they won't listen to me now anyways.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I love appleseed. Only been to one but it was great. I'm hoping to make another this year. Like to bring my wife if we can find a sitter.

For those who think shooting at 25 meters is easy.... try shooting a a one inch square... for 6 hours hours a day for 2 days continuously transitioning from standing to sitting to prone over and over and over and over again. And over again, lol. By the end of the second day your body aches, and your eyes hurt. Bring advil! It's a lot of fun and learned a lot. I figured that being on the range for two strait days would improve my skills alone... ha. After getting their instructions I shrunk my groupings by HALF in the first hour of being on the firing line. By the middle of day two I had shrunk my groupings by about 75% of the starting string of fire the day before.

I'm feel priveleged to have experienced that and I can't wait to do it again. Great experience.

Top Bottom