• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    How many Govt Agents have told you you cannot drink alcohol? Maybe I'm living a sheltered life because that has never happened to me nor anyone else I know.

You've never known someone who was busted for underage drinking? Wow. Yes, incredibly sheltered indeed.

Police are out in force to stop Americans from drinking the forbidden beverages. You and I are both paying for this bureaucratic nonsense.

Open a newspaper sometime and read about all the arrests for "underage consumption" and "contributing to the delinquency of minors". Parties raided by the beverage police. Businesses getting harassed. Waitresses getting fined. Stupid crap that free people shouldn't have to pay for or deal with.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    This is from a middle-school social studies book.

9rsz_212social_studies_amendments1321498111258.jpg

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    My daughter got hit in Crawfordsville. Asian girl with "boyfriend" chatting on phone behind her. Yep, stupid daughter sold beer without checking ID. Girl and guy walked outside, he walked back inside and dropped wallet with badge on counter with a thud. $500 fine. She works the next 2 weeks for free.

That's illegal. The company is responsible for the fine as your daughter doesn't hold the license. She can be disciplined/terminated, but she can't be held responsible for the fine. The company should go to the card everyone policy and then they have reason to terminate if someone gets tagged.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    That's illegal. The company is responsible for the fine as your daughter doesn't hold the license. She can be disciplined/terminated, but she can't be held responsible for the fine. The company should go to the card everyone policy and then they have reason to terminate if someone gets tagged.

Getting a fine from the Excise Police is illegal? Last I knew the one selling the alcohol got fined along with the establishment, at least at a liquor store, not sure about a place that serves food

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Getting a fine from the Excise Police is illegal? Last I knew the one selling the alcohol got fined along with the establishment, at least at a liquor store, not sure about a place that serves food

He said his daughter is working for free for 2 weeks. I worked in a grocery store, and the ticket was in the company name, not mine.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    This question is a great indicator. Anyone who asks it clearly has no use for actual liberty.

Actually I'd say it's a great indicator that someone doesn't know the Constitution. Specifically the 9th Amendment.

True, and the Bill of Rights is a list of Inalienable rights which are beyond question by the Govt. To compare one of them with this fictitious right to not be carded when buying alcohol is silly at best.

See above and below.

This is from a middle-school social studies book.

9rsz_212social_studies_amendments1321498111258.jpg

Spot on.

He said his daughter is working for free for 2 weeks. I worked in a grocery store, and the ticket was in the company name, not mine.

I took it to mean that her wages for the next two weeks will be going to pay her fine, not the fine the business got. But I could be wrong.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Actually I'd say it's a great indicator that someone doesn't know the Constitution. Specifically the 9th Amendment.

See above and below.

Spot on.

I took it to mean that her wages for the next two weeks will be going to pay her fine, not the fine the business got. But I could be wrong.
    I read it that the company is withholding her wages to pay the ticket, which when I was ticketed was what was threatened upon me. I was NOT the cashier, but approved the transaction. I called the excise dept, and was told the company or whomever holds the liquor license is who gets ticketed. It's their license to protect, not the cashier's.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I read it that the company is withholding her wages to pay the ticket, which when I was ticketed was what was threatened upon me. I was NOT the cashier, but approved the transaction. I called the excise dept, and was told the company or whomever holds the liquor license is who gets ticketed. It's their license to protect, not the cashier's.

Servers (who serve alcohol) and bartenders must have their own "employee permit" liquor licenses and also must take an excise class and pass a certification test. Employees are responsible for their own fines.

The establishment can be fined as well (a much larger fine, as much as $10k per offense) but this usually doesn't happen on the first offense. That is why some places, like BW3's a few years ago, will require multiple verifications of ID. If they've already had one ding, the next one will be much more severe.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Servers (who serve alcohol) and bartenders must have their own "employee permit" liquor licenses and also must take an excise class and pass a certification test. Employees are responsible for their own fines.

True, did not know OP's daughter was a bartender. Cashier's just have to be 18 in Indiana to sell alcohol in a retail setting. Weird huh?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    True, did not know OP's daughter was a bartender. Cashier's just have to be 18 in Indiana to sell alcohol in a retail setting. Weird huh?

It's actually 19 now.

Those persons under 21 years old may be employed at a permit premise provided they do not handle, serve, or sell alcoholic beverages. (IC 7.1-5-7-13) Individuals who are at least 19 years of age can "ring-up" the sale of alcoholic beverages in the course of their employment at a drug or grocery store if there is at least one other employee on the licensed premise who is twenty-one (21) years of age or older, and responsible for supervising the minor. (905 IAC 1-15.3-1)

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I have to side with the more libertarian views here. The .gov has overstepped it's bounds, it's hard to believe what our definition of free has become. Really how free are you? Can you speak out against the .gov, without fear of having the IRS, BATFE, etc., dropping a boot on you? Maybe, maybe not. You turn 18, you can be drafted, buy tobacco but not drink. WTF?

I'm not trying to be an asshat. Just giving some thoughts.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I sent a note to a local brewery in Greenwood, because they hadn't checked my ID the past 4-5 times I went there. Nor did I see them check other customer's IDs

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North

See above and below.

Spot on.

You might follow up your reading with the 10th Amendment. As the 21y/o number is the law, fight to have that law reversed. You don't arbitrarily decide which laws are worth following and which aren't. Otherwise you should stand right along side your lord and savior B. Obama.

Is it BS that there is an Age law? Sure. Is it BS that it's mostly used for revenue? Certainly is. Will it make the hind-end probing or Bank account draining any less troublesome when you run around deciding which laws you want to follow today? I'm guessing no.

Don't like it? Vote it out. Can't be arsed to do anything but get on a website and complain and spin conspiracy theories? I hear that Death Ray guy on the East-side is looking for a Roomie.

Since so many people are so passionate about it, I'd like to suggest a collection be started to help the daughter pay the fine. Since it's such an injustice it should be an honor to stand with her!

With that, I'll agree to disagree and bid you all a good day.

Top Bottom