• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Actually Evolution has absolutely nothing to do with the unfit dying off.

Evolution is neither of what you are stating. In order for Evolution to occur, a progress has to be made, something has to become NEWER or BETTER and the "not so good" or "bad" disappearing or dying off does not count.

There has to be the addition of a positive, not just the removal of a negative.

Evolution and Natural Selection go hand in hand but are nowhere near the same thing.

Evolution is the horselike animal that mutates and one day his neck is long enough to reach the uppper leaves of a tree (giraffe). That animal evolved by gaining a positive feature.

Natural Selection is the dying off of all that do not have tall enough necks to reach those upper leaves when there are no lower leaves to eat. That animal dies because he is not fit to eat the leaves that are too high for him.

Most importantly, Natural Selections is merely one of two main components of Evolution. The other has to do with chance or some BS. But the point is, Evolution and Natural Selection cannot be interchanged.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Randy-

I simply made a correct statement and someone tried to insist I was wrong. I don't let that happen and if I seem like a curmudgeon because I defended my correct statement, then so be it. I'm sorry.

I'm 32- old enough to know the English language and old enough to not like to be wrongfully "corrected".

Like Evan said- Natural Selection is what I'd consider given an option between two women- one beautiful with a nice rack and one with flies circling her waist. My natural selection would be the one sans flies.

Actually, that's a GOOD example because I would most likely want to mate with her, leaving the one with poor hygiene (and defective brain?) with less of a chance to reproduce...

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    Randy-

I simply made a correct statement and someone tried to insist I was wrong. I don't let that happen and if I seem like a curmudgeon because I defended my correct statement, then so be it. I'm sorry.

I'm 32- old enough to know the English language and old enough to not like to be wrongfully "corrected".

Like Evan said- Natural Selection is what I'd consider given an option between two women- one beautiful with a nice rack and one with flies circling her waist. My natural selection would be the one sans flies.

Actually, that's a GOOD example because I would most likely want to mate with her, leaving the one with poor hygiene (and defective brain?) with less of a chance to reproduce...
    Just because you are right doesn't make it a good idea to pump it. Unless you don't care about having friends. Maybe you don't, and that's fine with me. Just offering some advice as an older guy who used to be you.

You aren't the only smart guy on INGO, by the way.

And on your girl with the nice rack, remember that she is also exercising natural selection, and you don't have a chance.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    All I have to say is know what you're talking about before trying to correct me. It's insulting AND annoying for someone to try and correct you when you're right.

You have the right to try and I have the right to express my displeasure in it, no?

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    All I have to say is know what you're talking about before trying to correct me. It's insulting AND annoying for someone to try and correct you when you're right.

You have the right to try and I have the right to express my displeasure in it, no?

You have the right. I didn't try to correct you on your facts, only on your approach. The word "curmudgeon" was carefully chosen and so was the link I included in my admonishment. The rest is up to you.

You see, it all started with you correcting someone who didn't really need to be corrected in the first place. Should he have been insulted and annoyed?

People who are insulted and annoyed by common everyday banter and the give-and-take that is a forum made up of many different kinds of people with many differing skill sets are their own worst enemy.

I'm just saying.

Biggdogg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    Indianapolis/Greenwood

Yeah...anyone who needs prrof of this fact...go read the "500 carry" thread whre he had NO friggin' idea about what he was talking about. Hypocrite anyone??

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    It wasn't banter and I wasn't correcting anyone. I was pointing out that they were different. I didn't say "you're wrong, you're a fool- don't you know the difference?" I simply stated the difference for anyone that cared.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Yeah...anyone who needs prrof of this fact...go read the "500 carry" thread whre he had NO friggin' idea about what he was talking about. Hypocrite anyone??

I apologized when I realized "Speedway" was a town and not a generic "speedway" that people were watching races at. I apologized for thinking that a venue passed a rule when in fact it was a town that passed an ordinance.

Biggdogg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    Indianapolis/Greenwood
    I apologized when I realized "Speedway" was a town and not a generic "speedway" that people were watching races at. I apologized for thinking that a venue passed a rule when in fact it was a town that passed an ordinance.

But you wanted to bash me and try to tell everyone something being "unlawful" is not the same as it being "illegal"...come on now. Everything you just recently posted about "knowing what you're talking about BEFORE you start posting" and all that...but oh no, you may have apologized about the "speedway" part of it, but you still had NO IDEA about the rest of it.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    What the hell are you talking about? Go grind your axe elsewhere. You know what they call people who are out for blood with a chip on their shoulder and follow people into other threads to hash out their differences? They're called trolls.

You know how many threads I've been in the last week or two where someone argues with me back and forth for 40 posts before they finally realize they didn't read the OP correctly? At least I realized it within 7 or so and then apologized.

I have a thread for you to visit. Have fun:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/36659-you_tell_me.html#post397382

Randy- You're more than welcome to join.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Actually Evolution has absolutely nothing to do with the unfit dying off.

Evolution is neither of what you are stating. In order for Evolution to occur, a progress has to be made, something has to become NEWER or BETTER and the "not so good" or "bad" disappearing or dying off does not count.

There has to be the addition of a positive, not just the removal of a negative.

Evolution and Natural Selection go hand in hand but are nowhere near the same thing.

Evolution is the horselike animal that mutates and one day his neck is long enough to reach the uppper leaves of a tree (giraffe). That animal evolved by gaining a positive feature.

Natural Selection is the dying off of all that do not have tall enough necks to reach those upper leaves when there are no lower leaves to eat. That animal dies because he is not fit to eat the leaves that are too high for him.

Most importantly, Natural Selections is merely one of two main components of Evolution. The other has to do with chance or some BS. But the point is, Evolution and Natural Selection cannot be interchanged.

If you're going to be pedantic (about a title for a thread that was intended to be humorous and which is also a literary allusion*), then you might want to look again. Natural selection is the primary mechanism: the least fit dying off before they can pass on their genes more often than the more fit is the mechanism by which the mean fitness of the population increases. Natural selection- mechanism. Evolution-result. When Darwin wrote his "On the Origin of Species" the idea of Evolution was already extant. What he provided was a mechanism (Natural Selection) which could explain not just the small changes that were readily apparent but the far more extensive changes visible in the world. The variation seen in the world (some finches have longer beaks, some shorter, some fatter, some narrower; some deer can run faster, some slower, some have brighter coloration, some duller) leads to different "success" rates (finches with longer, narrower beaks find eating a particular diet easier so they are less likely to starve before having offspring; fast deer with duller coloration are less likely to be grabbed by predators).

"Think of it as going faster in action."
    "It's not 'going faster'; it's 'pressing the pedal harder'."

Um. Okay.

* [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Oath-Fealty-Larry-Niven/dp/1416555161/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242844033&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Oath of Fealty: Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle: Books[/ame]

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    Isn't it interesting that you end up in an argument on so many threads you participate in? What is the common factor?

I'm trying to tell you that it is your approach. This is a gun forum, not a science forum. This is a gun forum, not an English forum. This is a gun forum, not a trivial pursuit forum. Try to focus here a little. We are trying to help you. You don't seem to want help.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Nice copy and paste dburkhead. Wordiness does not equate to correctness.

Natural Selection is one mechanism of Evolution.

Evolution is a change in the species and NS is the removal of an unfit gene.

One is essentially a cause, and the other an effect. You can't interchange them both.

Rob, yes it is a gun forum. This is not a gun thread. Your point?

Top Bottom