• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Man, I cannot believe how hard this has hit my family.

We had Louie, our cat for 10 years, he was 8 when we got him. Before him I HATED HATED HATED cats. But this guy was a dog in cat clothing. A lap cat, came when you called him, ran to to door to see who was there, begged for treats, etc etc.
    Long story short, he suddenly started losing weight, and then BOOM couldnt walk. The Vet said it was time :( He probably had cancer, and we never knew it because cats hide their weaknesses, unlike a dog who will let you know they are sick.

It's kind of ridiculous, how much it is like losing a family member. A few days later, and we still look for him before we close a bedroom door, so we dont lock him in. Still check for his food bowl. Still see if he is on our bed. Etc etc.

The thought I will have to do this again some day with my dogs is almost overwhelming.

OK enough whining, time to HTFU :)

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I had to do it with my dog. it was a very tough. I asked the veterinary one more time is there anything else we can do. the doctor said no I watched as the shot plunged in and I carried the limp body back out and put it in the trunk of my car to bring home to a grave on our property for our lab. the thing that hurts the most is after I went in the house and started taking a shower and realizing how warm her body still felt as I put it in the ground. it was in October actually two years ago and all I can think about was that warmth seeping out of that still warm limp body and being swallowed up by the cold. now I have a cat that sounds a lot like the one you just lost. a friend of mine once told me that one of the purpose of pets is the to teach about death and I've come to believe that it helps children understand it a little better and hopefully it helps us appreciate the human beings around us a little more. I am sorry for your loss

Last edited:

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Sorry to hear this. You realize how much you interact with a pet after they are gone and those daily routines are no longer necessary. Well, except to remind you how much you miss them.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Sorry buddy. I know the feeling. I had to put down my buddies a month or so ago. Both beagles were 16 and born here, lost them a week apart. I still miss them more than a man can imagine. I cried like a baby that day, and in fact it is a little dusty in here now.

Take care. And remember how lucky Louie was to have you as his buddy....the good times and knowing the life they lived helps.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    7 yo yellow lab, a shelter dog. Put him down due to arthritis and kidney problems 9 years ago.

it sucked big time.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Ubu my cat of 8 years. They gave me a few moments alone and then took him away. I'll never forget that look on his face and I'll never take another pet to a vet to end their life.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    My wife still has a bowl set out for "her" cat that we put down two years ago! The other cats will not eat from it, it just sits there, but she won't do anything about it?

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Thanks all, hearing your stories is helping.

They gave us as much time as we wanted with him in a little private room with comfortable chairs(like a little living room), before they administered the sedative. She said it would take a minute or 2 for it to take effect, but he was gone in seconds. She said that was a good sign that he was much more weak than we even knew.

I know in my head we did the right thing, but the heart isn't convinced yet.. stages of grief and all that

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    We had to put down one of our cats about 5 years ago. He was a mean SOB, ruined carpet in 2 of my rooms almost had to replace the subfloor in one it was so bad. A jerk to us and our other cat. He had moments of kindness but rarely. It still saddened greatly me when he had to be put down.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    We lost one dog to a twisted stomach(bigger dogs get this, kills them quick unless you get surgery for big $$) and then we had to put one down. It was harder to lose one quickly than to have to put it down from my experience. Hard, nonetheless. We are now on Gen II of the IROC Family's dogs...not looking forward to when this generation starts to pass on. They all have personalities like people and you lealrn to treat them as family.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Our cat Lex. He was a shelter cat my wife got on Christmas day. Somehow, he just took to me. If I was in the house, he was on my lap or at my side. He had a hard life. BBs in the fat layer in is stomach and half a tail that was broken. He got bound up and stopped eating. Had that taken care of and 2 days later he had a stroke. We gave him a little time and I carried him to the litter box and he peed, then just layed down on it. Our vet was awesome and came to the house to put him down. I really miss that cat. He had a hard life, but we gave him one hell of a retirement. To this day, I still feel like I gave up on him when he needed me most.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yes.More than once.

It sucks.

Same here. Dog was worse than the cat. I remember my wife and I were in the room with one of our dogs along with my son and his fiance. They couldn't stay. My wife and I did. Very sad day.

They say the only flaw a dog has is that they don't live long enough. I tend to agree.

Roadie, it has nothing to do with HTFU. Grieving is a natural thing and everyone experiences it to some degree. How much is dependent on how close you were to the deceased. The closer, the more the grieving. Sounds like you had a cool cat.

"It is better to have loved and lost, then to have never loved at all."

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    15 year old dachshund lab mix.

Had that dog half my life.

Was tough. One of the toughest things I had to do. Still remember it like yesterday.

Top Bottom