• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Have you ever had a firearm stolen from or with a vehicle?

• Total voters

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Unfortunately, my kids school won't let me carry there while I'm eating lunch with them, so it's locked in the vehicle. And the post office also frowns on it too.
    You do know that leaving your gun in the car on school grounds is illegal, right? Hopefully, you're parking off the school grounds.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    This thread...
    explosion-cool-gifs-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1041.gif

ARdysfunction

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Indy West Side
    I had a pistol stolen out of my car about 6 or 7 years ago while it was parked in my driveway with me home asleep. I bought the pistol for the one reason to leave in that car.

I am sad I lost the pistol... I don't leave guns in the car anymore unless on trips and such... But as guns do not shoot people the same way pens do not miss spell words... I do not feel bad about it at all.

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    You do know that leaving your gun in the car on school grounds is illegal, right? Hopefully, you're parking off the school grounds.

I would like to hear from a LEO on this. Both Federal law and State law that I have read says a "Proper Person" can have a firearm in the car while picking up and dropping off kids at school. While eating lunch with your kid may be a stretch but would still seem plausible in the intent of this law. but... I'm no lawyer.
    I asked a LEO once if I could have it on school property while picking up my kids, and he even called it in, and said absolutely not! I had it with me at the time. I call B.S. What say you? :dunno:

I didn't mean to hijack this thread...but I kinda did. sorry.

IC 35-47-9
    Chapter 9. Possession of Firearms on School Property and School Buses

IC 35-47-9-0.1
    Repealed
    (Repealed by P.L.63-2012, SEC.78.)

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    Sec. 2. A person who possesses a firearm:
    (1) in or on school property;
    (2) in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function; or
    (3) on a school bus;
    commits a Class D felony.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Another poor attempt at snarky humor. Is school out already.

Honestly people, if you think leaving you firearm "hidden" in a locked car is secure then you live in a fantasy world. A secure lockbox bolted to your vehicle is the BARE minimum.

You spend thousands of dollars buying guns to defend yourself and your families but then leave that firearm hidden (read-unsecured) in your car. You just armed the gang bangers...thanks.

For G*ds sake, use your brains and think.

Personal responsibility is a real thing folks, take some.
    If not for all of the silly infringements on my rights I would never leave my firearm anywhere but my hip or my night stand.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I would like to hear from a LEO on this. Both Federal law and State law that I have read says a "Proper Person" can have a firearm in the car while picking up and dropping off kids at school. While eating lunch with your kid may be a stretch but would still seem plausible in the intent of this law. but... I'm no lawyer.
    I asked a LEO once if I could have it on school property while picking up my kids, and he even called it in, and said absolutely not! I had it with me at the time. I call B.S. What say you? :dunno:

IC 35-47-9

IC 35-47-9-0.1
    Repealed

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.

IC 35-47-9-2
    Possession of firearms on school property, at school function, or on school bus; felony
    (3) on a school bus;
    You cannot get out, you cannot leave it locked in the car while you go into the school. If you do so, you are violating the law.

No way around that. Park off school grounds or disarm before going there are your only options unfortunately. Sad, I know. If I'm not mistaken - it is a good way to become a felon if discovered and them you kiss all firearms goodbye.

That said, they would need a warrant to search my car, I would never consent.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

IC 35-47-9

IC 35-47-9-0.1
    Repealed

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (A) a school; or
    (3) A person who:

IC 35-47-9-2
    (3) on a school bus;
    Unfortunately for you, the law is very clear. You can be armed as long as you are in the car waiting to pick up or drop someone off. No storing it, no getting out of the car and leaving it. Lawyers and cops have all weighed in on this one multiple times here on INGO and the consensus is that the law is plain and simple. Don't break the law and lose your Rights.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    :rolleyes:

And the "assbag" part overwhelmed the valid points. :D

That is my take on his posts. He did make valid points but I do not take kindly to being called stupid and then there is that "Sport" thing. Really. Points can be made without all of that. I am not thin skinned but in the same breath, will not be demeaned. This is not the core and he is not my D.I.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ...While eating lunch with your kid may be a stretch but would still seem plausible in the intent of this law. but... I'm no lawyer. ...

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    ...(B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11. ...

Good question. I don't mind hijacks so much for good questions.

Firstly, As others have said, look at the bolded and underlined text above. It's is clear. There is also an IN Appeals Court ruling on this you can look up -
    [FONT=&quot]Micah Newson v State of Indiana. Briefly, [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Newson drove someone to a school, and exited the vehicle leaving his handgun inside = class D felony. Lesson: if carrying while picking up/dropping off at school, [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]do not exit the vehicle, and remain in the driver’s seat behind the wheel, otherwise you cease to be operating the vehicle, and cease to be covered under the exemption. Also note, the letter of the law does not cover passengers. You have to be the operator of the vehicle according to the code.

Secondly, LEOs aren't generally the best source for legal advice (or anonymous people in INGO for that matter ;)). The best source is a lawyer.

Thirdly - back to the thread! Please keep your poll responses coming!

I'd like to get the number of respondents that sometimes store firearms in a vehicle (i.e. the total of the last 3 poll options) up to 250 if possible.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][/FONT]

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Also note, the letter of the law does not cover passengers. You have to be the operator of the vehicle according to the code.
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Alright everybody, we're coming up to the school zone now... Go ahead and hand over all of your firearms.

*Officer walks up to the window*: Why do you have 4 firearms on your person?
    *Individual*: Am I being detained? Am I free to go?
    *Officer*: Step out of the vehicle please.
    *Individual*: Sir, I would like to politely inform you that stepping out of my vehicle at this time would, in fact, violate Indiana Code 35-47-9-1 Subsection B and, as such, would make me a felon. If you would like me to step out of the vehicle, I will be happy to do so once you follow me out of this school zone.

I wonder how, exactly, it would be handled... The order to step out of the car on any other day would be a lawful request but in this situation such a request would be telling you to violate the law and would make the request, by nature, unlawful.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][/FONT]
    [/FONT][/FONT]

Last edited:

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    Seems to me that carrying on school grounds while driving your car is a bad idea all together.

Let's say your sitting there waiting for your kid and your car dies, or you get a flat. Now what? Technically you're not an "operator" at this point because the car is not drivable correct?

You've just become a felon if I'm interpreting this stuff right.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Seems to me that carrying on school grounds while driving your car is a bad idea all together.

Let's say your sitting there waiting for your kid and your car dies, or you get a flat. Now what? Technically you're not an "operator" at this point because the car is not drivable correct?

Concealed means concealed, at that point.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County

I don't know that it has to be running for you to be considered an operator. At that point I'd either drive off their property with said flat or probably call a wrecker and stay in the car until they arrived at which point I'd have them hook and pull me. Would have to let them know that you have to stay in the car when they hook and move you, maybe even tell them why or they may refuse.

All of that said, I try to keep maintenance up on my vehicles but :poop: does happen.

grand champ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    Almost never leave my gun in my car. On off chance I'm n friend/family residence & I know they're not comfortable w my gun on my waist. I'll bury under spare tire or deep in trunk. At least then its in decent neighborhood & parked in driveway..not in random parking lot in obvious place like glovebox

brute69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Never had it happen, my carry gun is just that and on range day its in my hands or locked in the trunk.

Top Bottom