• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I'd rather see a bunch of different cars under MUCH more open rules all trying to do a 200MPH lap, than a bunch of cars that are all the same running 230mph laps.
    You can buy many cars off a showroom floor that can do this. Do not need a race team to do it anymore…

And this article is 7 years old…

STopaz1982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 14, 2021
    Hendricks County
    One must add the why to all this, safety and cost. In the 50’s smart guys could innovate cheaply, then by the 90’s a fraction of a second began to cost millions. Then add in the technological advancements that led to cars capable of speeds beyond the physics to keep them on the ground creating safety issues for drivers and fans alike.

As much as I would like to blame a sanctioning body, race track owners, and car owners, it really is science that killed car racing.
    I can't argue with anything you said. It had become a rich man's game and there were some nasty wrecks. That said, I still don't have to like it. Thank you for the perspective.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    NASCAR is phony racing anyway so who cares? Ever see a street Camry exceed even 100 mph on the street? The days of race on Sunday sell on Monday are long, long gone. Just a spec series with phony cars that undermine the name “Stock Cars”!

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    NASCAR is phony racing anyway so who cares? Ever see a street Camry exceed even 100 mph on the street? The days of race on Sunday sell on Monday are long, long gone. Just a spec series with phony cars that undermine the name “Stock Cars”!
    You can buy many cars off a showroom floor that can do this. Do not need a race team to do it anymore…

I would like to see a race of the cars in the story along with any new cars that can hit 200 mph…

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It's one thing to be able to hit 200 mph. It's quite another to drive a 200+mph lap average with 42 other yahoos around you for hours on end.

Personally, I like endurance racing. Except for the prototype classes, the cars are based on real cars and recognizable as such.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis

I meant this as a figure of speech.
    Sure, if the rules had remained more open, progress in speed and innovation would have continued through the years.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It's one thing to be able to hit 200 mph. It's quite another to drive a 200+mph lap average with 42 other yahoos around you for hours on end.

Personally, I like endurance racing. Except for the prototype classes, the cars are based on real cars and recognizable as such.
    I just watched Ford vs Ferrari recently. I was pleasantly surprised by it, even if they messed with what really happened some.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I just watched Ford vs Ferrari recently. I was pleasantly surprised by it, even if they messed with what really happened some.

Some things they did, but it was a good film of the story.

Racing is nothing like it was then......and that is truly unfortunate.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I really liked it and I liked this better.

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 8, 2019
    Larry County
    These guys are turning 10 second laps on a 1/4 mile dirt track and are inches apart. For me, racing doesn't get much better than this! Watch the last 2 laps WOW.
    ( the last couple laps start at the 4:00 minute mark. )

Top Bottom