Eric Holcomb pushing for refugee resettlement in Indiana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    They aren't. Simple misdemeanor can lead to deportation and revocation of refugee status. I think people are thinking refugees as illegal entrants. They are not.

Three guys leave Honduras and come to the US.
    One guy knocks on the door and says - "Hi, I am a refugee."
    The other two sneak across the border and become illegal aliens.
    Same crowd.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    The state of being a refugee comes at least part from their origin and why they are leaving that origin. When we separate them into our categories at our end and say this one is a refugee and this one is not is kind of horked up.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    The state of being a refugee comes at least part from their origin and why they are leaving that origin. When we separate them into our categories at our end and say this one is a refugee and this one is not is kind of horked up.

No refugee is a legal status that we are talking here, not a social one. The refugees Holcomb is talking about are vetted legal tax payers. Not illegal immigrants saying their are refugees. You are mistaking terminology

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    No refugee is a legal status that we are talking here, not a social one. The refugees Holcomb is talking about are vetted legal tax payers. Not illegal immigrants saying their are refugees. You are mistaking terminology

I am talking about the real terminology of refugees as defined by...
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/refugee
    refugee

ref·​u·​gee | \ ˌre-fyu̇-ˈjē , ˈre-fyu̇-ˌjē \

Definition of refugee

: one that flees especially : a person who flees to a foreign country or power to escape danger or persecution

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    refugee

Definition of refugee

: one that flees especially : a person who flees to a foreign country or power to escape danger or persecution

Well, yeah, but the topic is Holcomb and the immigrants he wants to bring in.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    refugee

Definition of refugee

The refugees in question are very specific. I'm not for illegal immigration in the least.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Lol a group of Congolese or burmese are just going to swim on over?

LOL. Swim?? No, that is silly. Is that the intent or are you just being facetious?

People are coming from all over the globe to Mexico to cross into the US either legally or illegally.
    This is about a group of 3,600 that came from Republic of the Congo, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Angola, Cameroon and other African countries. They are in Mexico and reports are that some of them can't swim.

African Illegal Immigrants Stuck in Mexico Violently Clash with Authorities, Demand Passage to US: Report
    https://www.westernjournal.com/afri...o-fight-authorities-demand-passage-us-report/

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    FIVE THOUSAND African Illegal Immigrants Attempt to Cross US-Mexico Border
    Illegal Crossings at the Border Getting More Diverse

https://nationalfile.com/five-thousand-african-illegal-immigrants-attempt-to-cross-us-mexico-border/

Most migrants from Africa have arrived from Congo and Angola, yet Africans from other countries have begun arriving in droves.
    African migrants by the thousands are making the windy journey from Sub-Saharan Africa to the North of South America, by plane, before moseying up through the Central American countries into Mexico to penetrate the porous US-Mexico border.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Dude you are missing the point. This is about a quota of throughly vetted refugees given legal status in the US. There will always be those that try to come illegally. We are not discussing immigration, illegal or legal, we are talking legal status refugees. They wait in camps for slots to open on host countries.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Taking in any, without regard to the impact on the targeted communities, is just as immoral. Those of us who can agree that both of those statements are true, really don’t disagree on much of the broader topic. I suspect that in real life, there is not such agreement, because it only seems to work one way.

Disagree.

We cannot declare funding a military coup in Honduras (which the U.S. did as recently as the Obama administration) as equivalent to people in America being frustrated with new neighboring who speak a don't language, keep their yard differently, cram 20 people into a single-family house, etc. Even if you want to classify accepting refugees as an inherent negative, I simply can't agree that anything refugees have done in the U.S. is a moral equivalent to atrocities of supporting colonialism or inciting civil war. They are not on the same level.

I am breaking silence here for an idea you all need to mull over.
    How to deal with these people. What policy's are in place or need to be in place to properly and "Gently" assimilate them into out society.
    And what steps to be taken in this assimilation process so we all can get passed the bad stuff.
    What actually makes a person/person a refugee. There has to be standards and they have to be met.

OK stepping back now.

I think the #1 priority should be making sure that our policies do not create more refugees.

I agree that the way refugees have been introduced into the U.S. for the last few decades has been imperfect (and we'll agree that's understating it). That by itself cannot be the reason to stop accepting all refugees.

I don't have a great solution for providing justice to the refugees we have already created, but I am listening.

Last edited:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Dude you are missing the point. This is about a quota of throughly vetted refugees given legal status in the US. There will always be those that try to come illegally. We are not discussing immigration, illegal or legal, we are talking legal status refugees. They wait in camps for slots to open on host countries.

There is a difference, but I think part of the problem here is you guys are talking past each other. Refugees are different from illegal immigrants, but thanks to the Obama administration, the two have become inexorably mixed-up in the minds of many people. Obama changed administrative procedures to allow people to stay in the country while their asylum claims were being processed. Then, he set an artificial time limit on how long the detention centers could hold them, after which time, they were cut loose and remanded into the hands of compassionate people I'm going to casually refer to as "people like you." Once the word got out that this was happening on our end, it led to rampant abuse of the asylum process among border crossers.

Stuff like this leads people to be sick of the issue, not care about the difference between illegals and asylum-seekers, and just want to see them all stopped. You have to acknowledge the role that excessive compassion-seeking plays in creating the attitudes you are arguing with here. Americans are generous people, but it has its limits. And the previous administration exceeded those limits.

Now, maybe I'm wrong about you. Maybe you don't defend this practice as encouraged by the Obama administration. Maybe you're not one of the ones shouting at the Trump administration for "splitting up families" at the border. But somehow, I seriously doubt it. You sound like precisely the sort of person who had "no problem" with what Obama was doing, and who are shouting at the top of their lungs about the Trump administration "splitting up families?" Care to correct me?

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

And you are trying to separate the water from the lake. Or pick up a turd by the clean end.

Meanwhile back in the congo... chilemba says to lapipa - "You go ahead and get asylum in the US. You know with my prison record I could never get in so I'll go the long way. See you in Indy."

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Disagree.

We cannot declare funding a military coup in Honduras (which the U.S. did as recently as the Obama administration) as equivalent to people in America being frustrated with new neighboring who speak a don't language, keep their yard differently, cram 20 people into a single-family house, etc. Even if you want to classify accepting refugees as an inherent negative, I simply can't agree that anything refugees have done in the U.S. is a moral equivalent to atrocities of supporting colonialism or inciting civil war. They are not on the same level.

There is nothing left to discuss then if you’re incapable of understanding, or you refuse to acknowledge, the moral reasoning of the other perspective. You have no grander moral position than anyone else. You only think you do. You haven’t even stated the other perspective accurately.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I'm still looking forward, with abated breath mind you, to see which of the advocates for illegal aliens amongst this group will take it upon themselves before plundering their neighbor.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom