Eric Holcomb pushing for refugee resettlement in Indiana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I addressed the foregoing points individually in an attempt to be fair with you, but my overall intention was not to get into a point-for-point, sentence-for-sentence tit for tat type discussion like so many here wish to do. Rather, my objective is to examine the overall "Big Picture" moral justification you are using for refugee resettlement on a large scale.

OK, let's do that.

And I have pointed out one large, concrete, local example which undermines your moral justification.

A ten square-mile section of Indianapolis has taken in a quantity of refugees in the last ten years which exceeds the quantity taken by other entire (and usually Blue) states, if the above statistical citations are taken at face value. And the situation they are fleeing has nothing at all to do with US intervention in their local affairs. It's entirely related to the precise sort of "ethnic-craphole" malaise which is prevalent in so many countries of refugees who want to come here, and while we can have empathy for that country's situation, it must be pointed out that the situation is entirely of their own making. While the US is certainly addicted to overseas intervention (a fact which many Trump voters, it should be noted, are attempting to attack head-on), it cannot be used as the excuse and justification for everyone who wants to come here.

Is it your position, then, given the example of Burma, that United States Citizens are morally responsible to take in refugees of every country which had a non-democratic government and/or economic crisis brought on by civil war or ethnic clashes? Because that's an incredibly tall order.

You are in a bit of a position here. You either have to admit that the example of the 13,000 Burmese in South Indy do not fit into your moral justification for refugee resettlement based on inimical US intervention. Or, you must admit that what you are actually advocating is the use of government power to enforce your religious views (rooted in compassion as they may be) upon the rest of the US population. And, that US foreign intervention really has nothing to do with it, and is just a convenient excuse on your part, in certain cases.

If you are truly just a compassionate "no such thing as an illegal human" resettlement advocate, that is a defensible position. However, I think it would be more intellectually honest for you to simply man-up and admit that fact, without making excuses based on past US adventures.

You have done an excellent job at crushing an argument that we both agree I didn't make. Why do you hunt the straw man?

I did not say that the U.S. has a moral debt to refugees from Myanmar. I said that the U.S. played a role in creating refugees among Hmong people in Vietnam and among people in Central America, specifically Honduras. A lack of debt to one party does not mean a lack of debt to every possible party. After all, should I be able to use the fact that I don't have a mortgage to get out of paying a credit card bill?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    What is regular America, if you can't describe it without racism that is very sad.
    What's racism. I dont treat anyone different based on race but I dont have to want to or be forced to hang around ANY group of people for whatever reason. Cultural differnces are a very real thing. I dont want to be around people I dont like. I dont like people who like refugees either. So im sorry but we cannot be friends.
    Better than me blowing smoke up peoples ass right?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Did you miss the part where I said I've actually worked with the ngo that has the responsibility to take care of them through citizenship? Easy to google and they will gladly share their struggle with you. I'm not an expert, but I'm not ignorant on this topic.
    What I didn’t miss was your changing of the goalposts from no public assistance, to well, public ****ing assistance!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    When our government collapses becauae it cannot sustain all of the welfare programs anymore and all of these refugees you guys love so much start killing your families, just remember that Trigger Time and Vigilant told you so. Seriously I want that to be one of the last things you remember before one of these nice refugees goes jeffrey dahmer on you and eats your liver.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Can we make them canadian citizens instead of American citizens? Is there a paper we can slip in there somewhere? Like SURPRISE!!!!! It's still North AMERICA

Sending American Refugees to Canada (or Mexico) is an immediate "Hard No."

You see: Canada wants their immigrants to have a demonstrated, immediate "net positive" economic contribution to their country. (What an incredible concept, right?)

The fascination with massive and yet endlessly-increasing numbers of penniless, unskilled immigrants - justified by the theocratic-utopian ideals of the "Crying John Boehner Wackjob Evangelical Business and Cheap Labor Lobby" - is a uniquely American trait.

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Go to a rural Indiana bar and ask how many rednecks they've thrown out for fighting, what exactly does that tell us?
    A lot fewer than you think. Smaller communities police their own and dont have near the same problems as a big city. I know because i grew up as a redneck in a redneck community and im damn proud of it.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Canada wants their immigrants to have a demonstrated, immediate economic value to their country.

The fascination with massive and yet endlessly-increasing numbers of penniless, unskilled immigrants - justified by the theocratic-utopian ideals of the "Crying John Boehner Wackjob Evangelical Business and Cheap Labor Lobby" - is a uniquely American trait.
    Yep exactly. Only America gives the farm and milk away for free. We will collapse because of these idiots running our government but also the mindset of the people who want to save the world

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    When our government collapses becauae it cannot sustain all of the welfare programs anymore and all of these refugees you guys love so much start killing your families, just remember that Trigger Time and Vigilant told you so. Seriously I want that to be one of the last things you remember before one of these nice refugees goes jeffrey dahmer on you and eats your liver.

Yes, Jeffrey dahmer, the cautionary tale of illegal immigration and poster child for wholesome midwest american values.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    A lot fewer than you think. Smaller communities police their own and dont have near the same problems as a big city. I know because i grew up as a redneck in a redneck community and im damn proud of it.

Bull****, I grew up in a rural town as well so i too know which bars, like clockwork, will have rednecks fighting in the parking lot at 2am.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Yep exactly. Only America gives the farm and milk away for free. We will collapse because of these idiots running our government but also the mindset of the people who want to save the world
    Funny though, those that want to save the world want to do it with OPM. But when it comes down to it, take away OPM, they gone!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom