• ...and so much more!
  • Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    +1 cubby

I have everything from cheap chinese to Randall made, and do not regret one dime I spent.

The higher end semi-production line, Bark River, offers top drawer knives at a very good value. The attention to detail is what you pay for. From metallurgy to heat treating, to handle material, fit and finish, and superior edge retention abilities, all quality all the way.

Also, RMK and Bark River will refurbish for free. Bark River's warranty covers the knife, not the owner. So even one bought used is covered.

BR's convex edge geometry pops hairs, holds an edge, and is easy to resharpen using the stropping process.

I could pay less, and have. Nothing wrong with my old Schrades. (USA made)
    But, I personally will spend a little more, have a nicer finished, more durable, handmade product, USA made.

Check out Knifeforums.com

You may become a believer!

BArk river makes some very great knives, and attention to detail is very impresive for a production blade, and they offer neat options like Mosaic pins.

ANother knive company ( if looking for a smaller bladed fixed blade) to look at is http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/r4s.html A lot of their knives canbe found for sale for under a hundred bucks.

bigkahunasix

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Kevinj110,
    It is not a matter of your age, nor mine. When you hang around places like this it is usually to learn about the subject matter. There are younger men here that know far more about high-end and custom knives than I, KokomoDave, Cubby, paddlin'_man pop to mind right now and there may be others.

The secret to knowledge is to open your eyes, your ears and your mind to the experiences and opinions of others and then gleen all the useful information for future use. Apply your knowledge and pass it on to others less knowledgeable than yourself.

On a forum, always read twice and then type once. It helps avoid situations such as this. And remember, older guys are only smarter because we have already made the mistakes you are about to. If we are trying to pass info along it is because we survived those mistakes.

Good luck in your life.

btw- It's Sultan, not Saltin.

BK6

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    As I have and will still state maybe yours weren't but I am sure mine were designed to.

RAT Cutlery Co.
    I am 100% sure that Jeff Randall designed his knives to be able to cut, chop and other things that a knife is designed for. Can a quality knife do many other jobs? Yes. Will other tools do the job better if they were designed to do it? Yes. Ican use a drill as a hammer but how long before it's not going to be any good at either job?
    OP: If you can buy another one when you break it then fine. The knives I buy are the ones that you won't be able to just go to the store to get another one because SHTF and the store is gone.
    I don't understand your attitude. People are giving rational opinions. Dial back a little and enjoy the boards. I don't care how old you are. The older I get, the younger my teachers are.
    Bob

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    I am not trying to be a jerk or anyhting but I just keep getting the feeling no one is looking at what I am posting a link to. The knife wasnt designed by Jeff Randall it was designed by Robert Young Pelton and if you then follow the link from Rat who was commissioned to manufacture them you will see that in fact it was designed to be used as a pry bar a can opener etc etc.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    if you then follow the link from Rat who was commissioned to manufacture them you will see that in fact it was designed to be used as a pry bar a can opener etc etc.

not true. the knife has can opener and prybar features on it but the blade was not designed for those uses, just looking at the grind lines you'll see it won't pry anything for long. if I want a hard use knife I won't buy one designed buy a journalist.

bigkahunasix

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I am not trying to be a jerk or anyhting but I just keep getting the feeling no one is looking at what I am posting a link to. The knife wasnt designed by Jeff Randall it was designed by Robert Young Pelton and if you then follow the link from Rat who was commissioned to manufacture them you will see that in fact it was designed to be used as a pry bar a can opener etc etc.

Yes I did look at your link, but out of respect for Jeff Randall (whom I have a great deal of respect for) I did not want to call that thing the "abortion" that it is. But hey, guy has to make a living somehow.

Life lesson: Have the tools you bet your life on designed by those that are survivors themselves- not well financed, politically connected, "documentary filmakers".

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I stand by my statement. It says was designed with RAT Cutlery. The prybar pommel is of little use as you have no real leverage unless you grab the blade. Also, I have snapped 3 knives made with 1095 steel doing light prying. If you carry this thing on your belt that little pointy prybar is going to gouge you sooner or later. I am basing my opinions on being a former S.E.R.E. instructor at Ft. Bragg and seeing a lot of tools fail at the worst times but maybe your experience and blade uses are different than mine so this may work for you.
    :twocents:
    Bob

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I stand by my statement. It says was designed with RAT Cutlery. The prybar pommel is of little use as you have no real leverage unless you grab the blade. Also, I have snapped 3 knives made with 1095 steel doing light prying. If you carry this thing on your belt that little pointy prybar is going to gouge you sooner or later. I am basing my opinions on being a former S.E.R.E. instructor at Ft. Bragg and seeing a lot of tools fail at the worst times but maybe your experience and blade uses are different than mine so this may work for you.
    :twocents:
    Bob

so what knife would you recommend? :patriot:

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    If you are using a knife on someone any cheap knife will do, it only has to work one time. If you are going to use it on things then it needs to have a good design, heat treat and edge retention.

My favorite knife for things, hands down is the Al MAR SERE 2000. Mine is going strong after over five years.

Emerson set the mark for high quality production folders costing over $100 in the late 80's / early 90's. That is what you can expect to pay for a full size combat type folder. The cool thing is that there are so many great custom makers around that you can get one to make you a custom for $200-$300. My favorite is Polkowski Custom Knives - Quality Handmade Knives for the Professional and Adventurer

bullet293

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    OMOKOK
    when itg comes to any tool gun knife fishing pole computer rain gear tractor stereo tires etc.dad always said you get what you paid for!!!!

Top Bottom