• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I am considered a "staff" member at IU. Therefore, I am not authorized to carry my firearm on any of IU's campuses:

Unauthorized firearms, weapons, ammunition, explosives and other items that the campus police consider to be dangerous are prohibited on university premises and at IU events. This policy includes activities such as introducing, possessing, using, buying, or selling firearms. Even if you have a valid state permit to carry a firearm, you are not authorized to carry the firearm on university premises. Only law enforcement officers and others in exceptional circumstances who have prior approval by the police chief are authorized to carry a firearm on university premises.
    If you know of a violation of this policy, immediately notify the campus police department or your supervisor. Anyone violating this policy can be immediately terminated.

However, faculty members are exempt from this prohibition, as outlined in the employee handbook, section D1: Firearms and Weapons Prohibitions | Policies for All Staff at Indiana University | UHRS I have read where IUPUI, IUNW and other regional campuses define faculty, staff, and hourly employees, as having the same restriction. So, there appears to be a double-standard at the Bloomington campus.

I plan to inquire about this practice over the summer, because I don't understand, (1) why staff and faculty are treated differently on the Bloomington campus, and (2) why faculty members on other campuses are not considered the same as Bloomington's faculty members?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    When I worked at IU Bloomington in the early 90s there wasn't a campus policy on it. Then in the mid to late 90s, the university board voted to make it against policy, except for faculty, of course. This was in part in response to all of the nationwide anti-gun hype that lead to the AWB, and in part response to a couple of campus shootings that happend at the time.

It was nice when I worked there, my boss knew I kept a gun in my locked desk and we'd go out to the range after work together occasionally.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    When I worked at IU Bloomington in the early 90s there wasn't a campus policy on it. Then in the mid to late 90s, the university board voted to make it against policy, except for faculty, of course. This was in part in response to all of the nationwide anti-gun hype that lead to the AWB, and in part response to a couple of campus shootings that happend at the time.

It was nice when I worked there, my boss knew I kept a gun in my locked desk and we'd go out to the range after work together occasionally.

I can't say it's a violation of equal protection or due process. Also, I'm sure if a big enough stick is made about the matter, they would simply disallow faculty from carrying, too, and I'm not sure I want that to happen. :dunno: Any suggestions?

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    As an IU Staff member, I have discussed this issue with other staff members, including my wife, who is also IU Staff. It seems to me to be another eliteist university policy, showing that staff members just can't be trusted, and only academia is worthy of such a privelege. It is an attitude that permeates the campus. I'm sure if we complain about it something will be done :rolleyes: ..... The University will make everything equal by removing faculuty carry priveleges too!!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Dang...Ya beat me to it!

I wonder how many INGO members work at IU. The Board has changed drastically over the last few years. I wonder if they would be more accepting of carrying these days? At least we will be able to leave our guns in the car, beginning in July.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I wonder how many INGO members work at IU. The Board has changed drastically over the last few years. I wonder if they would be more accepting of carrying these days? At least we will be able to leave our guns in the car, beginning in July.

I work 3rds for a night mobile crew as of last week. I'd LOVE to be able to carry more than a flashlight as I lock down buildings and wade through campus during the late night 'fun times' of campus life. I can just see me being involved with inebriated group who just came from Kirkwood looking for a fight.
    Tuesdays, Thursdays and the weekends that I work; I've already seen some 'stuff' that amazes me.
    last night I see a guy 'waddling' past the IU library in what looked like a whole set of soaked through clothes. It looked like he had passed out and urinated through everything the way the 'pool' had left it's signs. :):

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I work 3rds for a night mobile crew as of last week. I'd LOVE to be able to carry more than a flashlight as I lock down buildings and wade through campus during the late night 'fun times' of campus life. I can just see me being involved with inebriated group who just came from Kirkwood looking for a fight.
    Tuesdays, Thursdays and the weekends that I work; I've already seen some 'stuff' that amazes me.
    last night I see a guy 'waddling' past the IU library in what looked like a whole set of soaked through clothes. It looked like he had passed out and urinated through everything the way the 'pool' had left it's signs. :):

I don't live in Bloomington, but I've been there some late evenings for student events. It may appear to be a nice, quiet town during the day, but it's just scary to me at night. They barely provide lighting around Balentine Hall!

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else

Yeah, back then some of us would shoot in the Tuesday pistol league at the Union. It was not uncommon at all to have a cased pistol under your desk back then. I even took my MP5 to the range at lunch and sat at my desk and cleaned it in the afternoon! Myles Brand killed all of that and drove out Sycamore Valley, too.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    Purdue student here, I say push for it. There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to carry just because the "academic faculty" can. You are staff, and you are important to the way the school functions, and a main reason how the school functions. You are in the same position everyone else is if something were to "happen".

TMK our staff at purdue can't carry either, but our faculty can't as well. You have a chance to make a difference and make a statement a lot easier then other schools. Hopefully the large amount of hippy liberal students at IU don''t hold anything back. I know several students at IU who consider themselves conservatives who think dicks sporting goods is an evil place because within an hour you can walk out with a 22. But if done over the summer you may have more luck.

I look forward to seeing what kind of proposal you come up with, hopefully you all are successful!

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    At least we will be able to leave our guns in the car, beginning in July.
    :xmad: Universities are one of the exceptions to the law going into effect in July. We university employees got nothing out of the "parking lot" part of the law, except the satisfaction of seeing our friends who work elsewhere become a little less intimidated by employer policies. :dunno: Oh well, good for them!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    :xmad: Universities are one of the exceptions to the law going into effect in July. We university employees got nothing out of the "parking lot" part of the law, except the satisfaction of seeing our friends who work elsewhere become a little less intimidated by employer policies. :dunno: Oh well, good for them!

Wow, I did not realize that was the case. So, if the state will not allow a university employee to keep a gun in his car, is IU violating the law by allowing faculty to carry on their person? Does the state define faculty similar to IU?

Well, I don't keep a gun in my car and never would anyway.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Wow, I did not realize that was the case. So, if the state will not allow a university employee to keep a gun in his car, is IU violating the law by allowing faculty to carry on their person? Does the state define faculty similar to IU?

Actually, the updated law simply says that employer policies cannot prevent you from having a firearm secured in your vehicle. There are several employers "exempt" from this law, which means they could still enforce a parking lot policy.

IU could still allow whatever they want. In this case, they can also dis-allow whatever they want.

MuncieKat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Muncie
    this discussion about IU came up a while back, but was never resolved.
    thread here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._-_carrying_a_gun_on_campus_-_open_forum.html

In looking through IU policies, I found the Academic Handbook, that contains policies for both faculty and students. http://www.indiana.edu/~vpfaa/downlo...dbk_web_08.pdf

Quoting from pp. 59-60:
    Academic personnel, therefore, accept and adopt the provisions of the Indiana University Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct pertaining to personal misconduct on University property (Part II, Section H), which is printed below.
    Personal Misconduct on University Property
    The university may discipline a student for the following acts of personal misconduct which occur on university property, including, but not limited to, academic and administration buildings, residence halls, athletic and recreational facilities, and other university serviced property, such as sororities and fraternities:
    14. Possession of any weapon or potential weapon on any university property contrary to law or university policy; possession or display of any firearm on university property, except in the course of an authorized activity.

Sure sounds to me like any faculty member is risking their employment by carrying a firearm, unless they have the clear written permission from the police chief. Just like the rest of us...

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Longbow, you get a rep for that one buddy.

To my knowledge, the IUPD chief has never granted an exception for anyone.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    this discussion about IU came up a while back, but was never resolved.
    thread here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._-_carrying_a_gun_on_campus_-_open_forum.html

In looking through IU policies, I found the Academic Handbook, that contains policies for both faculty and students. http://www.indiana.edu/~vpfaa/downlo...dbk_web_08.pdf

Quoting from pp. 59-60:
    Academic personnel, therefore, accept and adopt the provisions of the Indiana University Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct pertaining to personal misconduct on University property (Part II, Section H), which is printed below. (emphasis added by Zphique)
    Personal Misconduct on University Property
    The university may discipline a student for the following acts of personal misconduct which occur on university property, including, but not limited to, academic and administration buildings, residence halls, athletic and recreational facilities, and other university serviced property, such as sororities and fraternities:
    14. Possession of any weapon or potential weapon on any university property contrary to law or university policy; possession or display of any firearm on university property, except in the course of an authorized activity.

Sure sounds to me like any faculty member is risking their employment by carrying a firearm, unless they have the clear written permission from the police chief. Just like the rest of us...

I don't want to add any verbiage to the actual policy, but all this says is that the faculty adopts this measure as it relates to the students. There can be no policy changes on a campus, relating to the students, without the approval of the faculty council. This only limits the rights of students, not faculty.

MuncieKat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Muncie
    I don't want to add any verbiage to the actual policy, but all this says is that the faculty adopts this measure as it relates to the students. There can be no policy changes on a campus, relating to the students, without the approval of the faculty council. This only limits the rights of students, not faculty.

Here is an updated/corrected link to the academic handbook:
    http://www.indiana.edu/~vpfaa/download/acad_handbk_web_08.pdf

I believe the policy clearly does apply to faculty. It is the academic handbook, not the student handbook. It also specifically says that academic personnel both accept and adopt the provisions. Furthermore, the whole context of that part of the handbook deal with policies that relate to the behavior and employment conditions of "academic appointees" (e.g., research ethics, tenure-track appointments).

Please show me otherwise. We need some confirmation from actual IU policies or an official. How about an IU prof contact the police chief and report back to us. I hope I'm wrong. But, if I were IU faculty, I would NOT, NOT, NOT risk it.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

As I recall, you almost singlehandedly kept the IMU range open one year, volunteering to staff it IIRC. The policy applied to faculty. Around the time the staff policy was implemented, the Bloomington Faculty Council voted to make it an ethical offense for faculty to carry on IU property, gross misconduct for which they could be discharged. I was told by Cliff Travis, IU general counsel back in the '90's that the police chief had authorized on a case by case basis some staff to carry, including a woman being stalked by a ex-spouse with a violent history.

Top Bottom