• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I can tell you that faculty are different, but the rules _still_ apply to them. You posted nothing with your link, as all it stated was that the policy in that link doesn't apply to faculty. This doesn't mean faculty can carry guns, though one could read it that way. Faculty, being the chosen ones, have their own "I'm special" book of rules and regulations.

Here is the relevant link for Non-Tenure-Track folks:

http://www.indiana.edu/~vpfaa/download/ntt_handbk_2002.pdf
    Page 45, #13. I will say that it is vague, but the part that state: "...possession or display of any frearm on university property frequented by the public, except, in the course of an authorized activity..." is a pretty blanket statement. One would argue "Well, a profs office isn't "frequented by the public" and they would be correct, but the parking lots they park in, the sidewalks they use to walk to their office, and the building hallways, staircases, and elevators are. To me, this is pretty much a blanket ban.

The full-time academic handbook is even more restrictive:

http://www.indiana.edu/~vpfaa/download/acad_handbk_web_08.pdf
    Page 60, #14 and #15 (#15 should be made more well known. I am shocked by it actually. Even going onto this website to bump your classified ad could fall into the category.).
    "14. Possession of any weapon or potential weapon on any university property contrary to law or university policy; possession or display of any frearm on university property, except in the course of an authorized activity.
    15. Sale of any frearms from university property or using university facilities, including through computer and telephone accounts; intentional possession of a dangerous article or substance as a potential weapon."

Another academic guide:
    http://www.indiana.edu/~vpfaa/download/Academic_Guide.pdf
    Page 457, #13
    "13. Possession of firearms or other weapons on university property contrary to law; possession or display of any firearm on university property frequented by the public, except, in the course of an authorized activity, possession of weapons in residence halls on university property in violation of residence hall rules; and intentional possession on university property of a dangerous article or substance as a potential weapon."

The above is actually part of the student code of conduct, which the powers that be adopted as their own rules. I will give them a :yesway: for this, as they are basically stating that if we apply these rules to students, they should apply to us as well.

Trust me, faculty can't have guns on campus just like the other employees and students. A full-time prof, back in 1997 quasi-admitted that she carried a gun to campus. She said that she had recently received a priority e-mail from the dean or chair of her school/department which stated that the gun ban includes faculty blah blah blah. She said she replied back with a one word response: "Riveting." We all got a good laugh and then she looked at her big purse, which was facing her and open wide, and pushed the opening shut. Again, we all laughed.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Wanted to add: Given this discussion, I would strongly encourage folks to start getting the word out about #15: "15. Sale of any frearms from university property or using university facilities, including through computer and telephone accounts; intentional possession of a dangerous article or substance as a potential weapon." This could easily apply to logging on to INGO and "bumping" your classified ad posts. It also could include going onto Gunbroker just prior to an auction ending and posting a bid. As such, I am no longer going to engage in those type of activities using any sort of IU network, including e-mail. I make sure my Gunbroker and INGO e-mails are Yahoo based. I also know that IU keeps electronic records, as does any ISP, so be very careful in what you are doing on-line. I really wish that IU would publish a university wide memo making this rule more well known. I guarantee you that there have been sales using IU e-mails and such. I am changing my habits accordingly. If you have something on gunbroker you want, and the auction ends while you are at work on break, I would strongly advise to use a non-IU network to place your bid, this _includes_ using your cell phone and a wireless connection that is connected to an IU system. Better to go over to say Starbucks and use their network to handle this sort of business.

MuncieKat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Muncie
    Excellent points. I can tell you that the policies are the same at Ball State. Be careful out there! Your 2nd ammendment rights don't extend into your employers equipment, resources, or time.

Wanted to add: Given this discussion, I would strongly encourage folks to start getting the word out about #15: "15. Sale of any frearms from university property or using university facilities, including through computer and telephone accounts; intentional possession of a dangerous article or substance as a potential weapon." This could easily apply to logging on to INGO and "bumping" your classified ad posts. It also could include going onto Gunbroker just prior to an auction ending and posting a bid. As such, I am no longer going to engage in those type of activities using any sort of IU network, including e-mail. I make sure my Gunbroker and INGO e-mails are Yahoo based. I also know that IU keeps electronic records, as does any ISP, so be very careful in what you are doing on-line. I really wish that IU would publish a university wide memo making this rule more well known. I guarantee you that there have been sales using IU e-mails and such. I am changing my habits accordingly. If you have something on gunbroker you want, and the auction ends while you are at work on break, I would strongly advise to use a non-IU network to place your bid, this _includes_ using your cell phone and a wireless connection that is connected to an IU system. Better to go over to say Starbucks and use their network to handle this sort of business.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I can't say it's a violation of equal protection or due process. Also, I'm sure if a big enough stick is made about the matter, they would simply disallow faculty from carrying, too, and I'm not sure I want that to happen. :dunno: Any suggestions?

why not those college proffessors are MEAN WITH A GUN from what i see on the news. They recruit women because no one will suspect their ninja abilities.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Here's from when it happened:

BLOOMINGTON FACAULTY COUNCIL
    Faculty votes for campus gun ban
    by Andrew Welsh-Huggins
    February 7, 1996

Indiana University has moved to ban virtually all guns from campus.
    IU's Bloomington Faculty Council voted unanimously Tuesday in support of a resolution creating a gun-free campus. Once adopted, the policy will extend to all IU employees -- including professors -- students and visitors.
    "I'll accept the recommendation, it will become campus policy," Bloomington chancellor Kenneth R.R. Gros Louis said following the 39-0 vote. "What has to be done now is getting the exact wording in from the various handbooks and university guidelines."
    The vote was good news for critics of the partial gun ban that IU announced last November.
    That ban prohibited non-faculty employees from carrying guns, even if they had the proper permit, but did not address students or professors.
    Until Tuesday, the policies governing students and professors allowed those with permits to carry guns on campus.
    "I'm anxious to see the final result," said Barbara Lentz, president of the Communciations Workers of America Local 4730, which represents about 1,700 IU clerical and technical workers.
    "I think they're certainly going in the right direction," said Lentz, scheduler at the IU Conference Bureau. "This seems to have removed the two-class system."
    Many faculty members contacted Gros Louis when the original ban was announced in November to say they felt there should be one policy for all.
    In addition, the faculty council heard from many clerical and professional staff members who were concerned they'd been singled out, said Ann Bristow, a member of the council's agenda committee.
    "When we read the policy and saw the philosophy behind it, we agreed we thought we should movee forward to clarify what it meant," said Bristow, head of the Main Library's reference department. "The best way to do that was make sure the prohibition was extended to everyone."
    Once IU began to research the issue, Bristow said, the university discovered that many Big Ten universities were surprised that IU's ban exempted faculty and students.
    "And the winning, clinching argument was that Purdue has a policy similar to this," she said, referring to the resolution adopted Tuesday.
    The policy adopted last fall prohibits non-faculty employees -those in the trades, food services, custodial services and professional ranks - "from introducing, possessing, using, buying, or selling unauthorized weapons, firearms, ammunition, explosives or items deemed by campus police to be dangerous."
    The prohibition extends to all university property, including "sites where university employees are working or university directed activities are being held."
    Violation of the policy "may result in immediate termination of employment."
    Exceptions to the ban include activities held on one of IU's firing ranges or possession involving police officers.
    Andy Heck, IU's vice president for human resources, said Tuesday he was in favor of IU having a consistent policy.
    "It's just going to take different processes to get there," he said.
    Radio and Television services lighting coordinator Bud Rodman is not a fan of the firearms policy.
    But he is interested in "equal treatment under the university's umbrella," which Tuesday's resolution will provide.
    "If they're willing to write the same stringent policy as for us and force it down the throat of students and faculty, that's fine," said Rodman, a CWA member who has carried a pistol in his car for protection.
    "My reasoning is we should have been included in the existing policy rather than single us out and force us into line."

Copyright: HeraldTimesOnline.com 1996

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I can tell you that faculty are different, but the rules _still_ apply to them. You posted nothing with your link, as all it stated was that the policy in that link doesn't apply to faculty. This doesn't mean faculty can carry guns, though one could read it that way. Faculty, being the chosen ones, have their own "I'm special" book of rules and regulations.

Here is the relevant link for Non-Tenure-Track folks:

http://www.indiana.edu/~vpfaa/download/ntt_handbk_2002.pdf
    Page 45, #13. I will say that it is vague, but the part that state: "...possession or display of any frearm on university property frequented by the public, except, in the course of an authorized activity..." is a pretty blanket statement. One would argue "Well, a profs office isn't "frequented by the public" and they would be correct, but the parking lots they park in, the sidewalks they use to walk to their office, and the building hallways, staircases, and elevators are. To me, this is pretty much a blanket ban.

The full-time academic handbook is even more restrictive:

http://www.indiana.edu/~vpfaa/download/acad_handbk_web_08.pdf
    Page 60, #14 and #15 (#15 should be made more well known. I am shocked by it actually. Even going onto this website to bump your classified ad could fall into the category.).
    "14. Possession of any weapon or potential weapon on any university property contrary to law or university policy; possession or display of any frearm on university property, except in the course of an authorized activity.
    15. Sale of any frearms from university property or using university facilities, including through computer and telephone accounts; intentional possession of a dangerous article or substance as a potential weapon."

Another academic guide:
    http://www.indiana.edu/~vpfaa/download/Academic_Guide.pdf
    Page 457, #13
    "13. Possession of firearms or other weapons on university property contrary to law; possession or display of any firearm on university property frequented by the public, except, in the course of an authorized activity, possession of weapons in residence halls on university property in violation of residence hall rules; and intentional possession on university property of a dangerous article or substance as a potential weapon."

The above is actually part of the student code of conduct, which the powers that be adopted as their own rules. I will give them a :yesway: for this, as they are basically stating that if we apply these rules to students, they should apply to us as well.

Trust me, faculty can't have guns on campus just like the other employees and students. A full-time prof, back in 1997 quasi-admitted that she carried a gun to campus. She said that she had recently received a priority e-mail from the dean or chair of her school/department which stated that the gun ban includes faculty blah blah blah. She said she replied back with a one word response: "Riveting." We all got a good laugh and then she looked at her big purse, which was facing her and open wide, and pushed the opening shut. Again, we all laughed.

Thanks Indy317, I stand corrected. I asked for this information from HR and was directed to what I posted. I was not provided any additional information and my own searches proved to be fruitless.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom