• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    With Iran's supreme leader wanting death to America and threatening the use of an emp nuke, what Is the best way to prepare for this? How could you shield a generator? Or would it affect it? What kind of vehicle would be most likely to survive one? Does it affect a battery to start vehicles if there is not a lot of electronics in it? Like an old 80's 6.2 diesel chevy or and older diesel truck?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Nuke them 1st I guess.
    Not being a wise a$$.
    There is a sticky in the survival thread that discusses this at length. Good info in there and you may be surprised.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    An EMP would primarily affect everything connected to the electrical grid that isn't hardened. The majority of automobiles have engine control units that are also hardened as are most diesel engine control units. I know this because I worked for a company that used electronic control units for motor vehicles and one of the design specs was that they be able to withstand an EMP. Yes, I was amazed to find that our controllers were hardened, it made me a little more secure in the ability to get around as long as the power grid to the gas stations (and obviously diesel) were still able to function.

Getting around would be the least of the problem, food containment would be an issue.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If one truly feared this the grid power could be washed through a battery bank (like a UPS) to isolate the appliances/electronics in the home.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I protect all my coms gear in my bags. I have demonstrated this at classes I taught in years past. Easy to do and if it ever comes to that you'll be better off for the extra 2 minutes of work.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    EMPs from nuclear detonations that are strong enough to destroy consumer electronics and most vehicles will have other features that will make the EMP the least of the concerns (i.e. an enormous amount of heat and wind that will crispy critter everything).

The power grid is more vulnerable because the distribution system is a huge antenna. Worry more about replacing the power you won't be getting than your gear.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    If one truly feared this the grid power could be washed through a battery bank (like a UPS) to isolate the appliances/electronics in the home.

Not true. Your appliances/electronics can be connected to NOTHING and an EMP will fry them like toast. You have to provide a completely electrically isolated enclosure (faraday cage) in order to prevent EMP damage to non hardened electrical items.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not true. Your appliances/electronics can be connected to NOTHING and an EMP will fry them like toast. You have to provide a completely electrically isolated enclosure (faraday cage) in order to prevent EMP damage to non hardened electrical items.

Read Rhino's post.
    If you are close enough to the event for this to happen then it really does not matter anyway.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

Any EMP strong enough to fry electronics not connected to a significant antenna or to an external power source will come from a source strong enough that you be around to won't care if they are fried.

People worry about the silliest things.

Top Bottom