• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrockStrader22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 21, 2021
    Covington, IN
    I bought a cheap used scope to put on a .22, it came in with electrical tape wrapped around the scope under the rings. Never seen this before, guessing they bought 30mm rings for a 1” tube and filled it with electrical tape. I have plenty of rings and plan to switch them out but curious if that is a viable solution. Anyone ever try that? I’ve seen rings with a thin layer of anti friction tape in them that I assume isn’t an issue.

Attachments

• IMG_2952.jpeg
      IMG_2952.jpeg
      379.4 KB · Views: 39

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Back In the days when CNC machines and good mass produced rings were expensive and few and far between scope lapping (to reduce extra metal) and electrical tape (to add extra material) was common practice. I still have a 1 inch home made to lap rings and I don't remember having to use one since we were worried about the computer not turning the clock's when they reached 00.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Not a precision idea by any means but it wouldn't surprise me if you could get away with it on a .22.

I have also seen cheap rings with some kind of tape or filler strip inside. Must just be that 30mm/1" thing.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I have taken milk jugs and cut strips for scopes before. It works especially if you are elevating the bell of the optic above the barrel. I try to keep them as close as I can without hitting while firing.

These days with AR platforms people don't mind them being inches apart from the bore. On flat trajectory guns I want them as close as possible...

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    One layer of tape for the right size rings is not uncommon.

Using tape to take up the slop for putting a 1" scope in 30mm rings is a terrible idea. Might work OK for a back yard plinker but throw any sort of accuracy/consistency is right out the window.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I've mounted hundred of various optics working behind the counter. With recent new products of the last few years, I've only seen friction tape on highly inexpensive Chineseium rings.

If they are made right and torqued right, there's no need for the tape. The thought never crosses my mind. But yeah for a rimfire it would be okay id think.

But hey I admire someones drive to be resourceful. :yesway:

If you want a set of proper sized rings, PM me and I'll send you some.
    :cheers:

Methane Herder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pitchfork Union
    McMaster Carr sells adhesive backed precision shim tape and shapes.

MH

Top Bottom