• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbnewsom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    St. John
    Ok so i know that i have to change the thermostats on my electric water heater. question is, do i have to drain it in order to do this? Last week I replaced both heating fillaments and the thermostat is definately bad.

I really dont want to drain it all again.

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    NO

all the ones I've replaced,,Around 50+ over the years were on the outside of the tank and cliped into a harness of sorts

Pm me if you like a phone number

sbnewsom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    St. John
    Turns out its not fixed. I dont know what the problem is. Maybe some of you will know. Basically I changed out the heating fillaments and turned it back on. Then the tank water would get super hot and water would be coming out of the discharge valve on top of my tank. So, I figured that the thermostats were not turning the elements off. I then proceded to change the thermostats out. Everything seemed to be fine then. It works good for about 2 days and then the circuit breaker on the top thermostat is popped out. I can't figure out why. Seems to work good and then that happens. I really do not want to have to buy a new one but all the cold showers are getting annoying.

Anyone have any ideas for your experience?

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    There are not a low of things on an electric water heater. If you replaced the thermostat, you have either the physical connection to the tank for the temperature is faulty (build up of sediment, etc.) or the latching to the heating element is faulty (thinking of sticking relays, etc.) Your \"off\" switches are not working. The small off switch is the actual temperature sensor which drives a big off switch, a relay or more likely solid state. I would be leaning towards not getting a good heat sense. Here is a good article in how to check everything. It is possible one of the two thermostats are bad. How to Test a Thermostat for a Water Heater - wikiHow

Top Bottom