• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    I got a chance today to clear up some misconceptions about OC in our beloved state. I stopped by a used car retailer today, and I was looking at a used truck. The salesman came out, and we got to talking guns. He told me that he was a longtime holder of a "Indiana Concealed Carry Permit". I asked him what he meant, and he told me that we have to carry concealed here in Indiana...... I told him nooooooo....... he said "well yeah, it says it right on top of the permit!". I took mine out of my wallet, handed it to him, and asked him to read it - and to see if he could find the word "concealed" ANYWHERE on that LICENSE. After a few moments, he admitted that it, in fact, did not. We talked about the laws regarding OC (none), and moved on to talk of off limits places. He was not aware that he could not take his pistol to a church that has a preschool in it.

He asked how I knew all of this stuff - what sources did I have...... I told him to read up on handgun laws in Indiana via the internet, and while online, check out INGunowners.com! I told him it has been an invaluable resource for me, and it could help him out as well! :D

As much as I love helping out my fellow man, I have to wonder..... He told me that he was told that Indiana is a CC only state - by the police when he applied for the LTCH. As for the lack of knowledge of basic firearms laws, I guess that just goes to show that some folks are lazy in the regard that with something so serious - the decision to arm oneself for the defense of self or others - there is an inherent need to know all the facts involved.

My question is this - why would LEO's mis-inform someone about the legalities involved with carrying? Anyone know?

jmo2003bu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Indianapolis
    First of all, +1 for informing someone about Indiana laws and INGO!
    As for the misinforming that takes place, I think there are several factors. First of all, there are countless threads on here that discuss the ignorance (for lack of a better word) of many LEOs when it comes to gun laws. I think they simply aren't informed and therefore pass along incorrect information. Also, let's be honest, there is a lot of BAD information on the internet. The Indiana code is boring, wordy, and a slow read. So, people go to the internet and believe anything/everything they read....My thoughts anyway.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    :+1: and repped! Thanks for getting good info out there!

You don't mention where you are, and this could be key to answering your question. It's been posted many times (though not in a while; anyone know if it's still true?) that the Terre Haute LEOs often cite some nonexistent "law" or local ordinance that outlaws OC, and the Ft. Wayne area, IIRC, is also unfriendly to the concept.

Thanks again for your efforts!

Blessings,
    Bill

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    All depends on the officer. I've spoken with officers who agree that OC is legal, end of story (I respect this cop). Others agree that OC is legal, then go on and give me their personal view on it (I respect this cop, and agree to disagree). When you run into a cop who says OC isn't legal they either A: know the law, and lie or B: don't know the law, but tell you OC is illegal. There's no way to definitively know if they are lying or just don't know. Either way if they don't check up on what the law says and offer an apology for being wrong I don't respect this kind of cop. I currently don't respect the chief of police of my city, which really irks me since I support cops.

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    :+1: and repped! Thanks for getting good info out there!

You don't mention where you are, and this could be key to answering your question. It's been posted many times (though not in a while; anyone know if it's still true?) that the Terre Haute LEOs often cite some nonexistent "law" or local ordinance that outlaws OC, and the Ft. Wayne area, IIRC, is also unfriendly to the concept.

Thanks again for your efforts!

Blessings,
    Bill

I live in Elkhart, where I have yet to have a negative interaction with the local PD or the county Sheriff's dept., and I have always been a huge supporter of police everywhere - they have a very tough job, and I am thankful that they do what they do. I have read about different areas of our wonderful state where there are LEO's that oppose OC, and as such will present their personal views as some sort of arcane ordinance; in order to discourage, and to further their views. Fortunately, I don't live in one of those areas......:D

Top Bottom