• ...and so much more!
  • Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Just wondering how do can's work? Well what i mean is... I know that silencers use baffles ect ect to muffle the blast, but what are the difference of wet can's and dry can's? does that mean the suppressors that are "wet" constantly need water in them or what...? Also which of the two types is better suited for long period use...? also who makes the best made Suppressors? I am just sorta curious, but wont be able to buy any of my own till March. :dunno: But would still like to learn and hear thoughts in the mean time....:)

also..... anyone know who makes 380acp suppressors? I ask because the first silencer I plan to get will be for a Walther ppk and yes it's for the James Bond factor, wanted that set up ever since i was a kid....:dumbass:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I believe, but may be wrong, that a 9mm suppressor will work on .380, as both bullets have the same diameter (.355"). As to your other questions, I'll leave those up to the experts :)

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    Just wondering how do can's work? Well what i mean is... I know that silencers use baffles ect ect to muffle the blast, but what are the difference of wet can's and dry can's? does that mean the suppressors that are "wet" constantly need water in them or what...? Also which of the two types is better suited for long period use...? also who makes the best made Suppressors? I am just sorta curious, but wont be able to buy any of my own till March. :dunno: But would still like to learn and hear thoughts in the mean time....:)

Ditto... :popcorn2:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Ok, here goes. Suppressors work by trapping and cooling the excaping gas created by burning gunpowder. If the gas is able to leave the barrel and rapidly expand outside the muzzle, you get a loud report. Trap and cool those gasses and you get a diminished report.
    Some suppressors are more efficient when used 'wet'. What this accomplishes is using an artificial media (usually water) to aid in cooling the escaped gas. Some very small cans are efficient wet where if they were used dry they would be virtually useless. Most modern average size suppressors are most effective dry. You can get a marginal amount of better suppression by adding water or other medium, but to me it is not worth it because what you put in the can will come out, usually in the direction of the shooter's face in the form of back pressure. Also, wet suppressors need to be constantly full of water or other medium. You have to refill the thing after a dozen or so rounds. Current state of the art dry cans are by far the best option for cost-effective high usage efficient cans.
    As for your PPK, it can be done and there are some smaller cans out there that are made for the PPK, but that wouldn't be my first choice for a suppressed platform. You can use any 9mm can, but they are relatively big and heavy for the Walther. For a first can, I always recommend a .22. They are really Hollywood quiet (or as close as possible to get) and ammo is cheap. I really think you would be disappointed in the suppressed PPK as an entry into all things suppressed.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I'd like to have a Skorpion with a can on it. That would be sick.

I'm probably going to fit my MAK-90 for a can on the sheer "cool" factor alone. Granted, it'll suppress flash and noise some, but it'll also help with recoil, as 7.62x39 is known for.

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I want a can that makes the Hollywood "laser" sound. :):

Seriously, though, for a first .22+can, what would be a good recommendation? My only .22 pistol is a Walther P22, but the barrel isn't threaded (or maybe it is and I'm blind). Would it be better to buy a pistol with a threaded barrel, or buy a threaded barrel for my current pistol? What would be a good can to buy?

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Scutter, you ARE blind! ;) Your Walther has a threaded barrel with a bushing on it right now. You can buy an adapter that replaces the bushing with standard 1/2 x 28 threads. I got mine from Tactical Innovations Inc.. There are lots of good choices for a first .22 can, but I still recommend the OutbackII from Gemtech. The ONLY reason I recommend this can is because I own it and I can tell you that you will not be disappointed with it. There are similar cans from other companies that are supposed to be in the same league as the Outback (and most likely are) but I'll still recommend the Outback because it has been thoroughly tested by yours truely to the tune of about 10k rounds. Listen for yourself on NFA day.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    Scutter, you ARE blind! ;) Your Walther has a threaded barrel with a bushing on it right now. You can buy an adapter that replaces the bushing with standard 1/2 x 28 threads. I got mine from Tactical Innovations Inc.. There are lots of good choices for a first .22 can, but I still recommend the OutbackII from Gemtech. The ONLY reason I recommend this can is because I own it and I can tell you that you will not be disappointed with it. There are similar cans from other companies that are supposed to be in the same league as the Outback (and most likely are) but I'll still recommend the Outback because it has been thoroughly tested by yours truely to the tune of about 10k rounds. Listen for yourself on NFA day.
    pew...pew...pew...pew.pew....pew..pew.pew...pew

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine

great, now I know to add the Walther to my "need to purchase" list, and drop a few things off it. So how much does the can generally run? Or can someone give me a ballpark fig on total cost, Walther, can, additional licenses if needed etc.?

I want the pew... pew...pew... of course in time to be followed up with the larger BBBrrrrrrppppp.........BBrrrrrpppp...... BBrrrrrpppp.... :):

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    The Outback is usually around $299. The transfer tax is $200 so you're looking at $500 for the suppressor then another $250 or so for a NIB Walther.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Those (2 liters) have the potential to be effective, but empty they are 100% useless. Fill a 20oz bottle with shaving cream and attach it to your muzzle and it would suprise you with it's effectiveness! I don't recommend that for the average Joe, however, because it is highly illegal. There was a guy selling adapters from 1/2 x 28 threads up to standard 20oz bottle threads. They were registered and serialed as suppressors and required the tax stamp. The bottle itself was considered a replaceable part, like the old wipes, and then filled with a media like shaving cream. They are very effective.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Hmm what about a good 9mm supressor?

for if i decide to go the Walther P99 route in lieu of the ppk as my "bond" gun.;)

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    SWR Trident 9:
    1) Full auto rated.
    2) Versatile, has adapters for use on different hosts.
    3) Made by one of the best silencer companies in the country.

SWR Trident 9 on my G17.
    33732G17suppressed_003.jpg

Trident 9 on my 9mm AR SBR.
    337329mmnew_006.jpg

Also, SWR has made improvements on the Trident 9, IIRC it is a bit shorter and a bit quieter than my old one.

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have a TAC-65 suppressor myself, and really like it. It can be disassembled and cleaned and is very quiet, I had mine on a P-22 for a while and loved it. The Tac-65 can be had for under $175, or at least it could be a year or two ago.

The other highly rated .22 suppressor other than the other one mentioned above is the SWR Warlock (I think that is it anyway) and it would be the can I would get next for .22 use. The Tac is the cheapest route, but you are only going to be buying it once so do not factor cost in too much.

I currently have NO .22 pistol host! I really need to get one but do not have the funds now. :xmad: Need a MKIII.

Top Bottom