• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    .22 rifles are notoriously ammunition sensitive. Usually, everything shoots pretty good, but some shoot really good.
    I recommend buy fifty round boxes of everything you can find that is a price you are willing to spend for ammo and testing to see which YOUR rifle shoots best. My 10/22 likes CCI standard velocity at about $25/500 rounds.
    Run a wet and a dry patch through the bore between types of ammo, fire about 10 fouling rounds before checking group size, use a rest, and shoot carefully.
    You may find that your mini-mags are the best for your gun, but it is good to test others. Eventually, your 1,000 rounds will run out. Why not replace it with what shoots best in your rifle?

Doug

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I was reading a copy of Ruger's new owners manual for their 10/22 rifle.

It states to Not shoot the CCI "Stingers" at all in the 10/22.

Oh well, I just bought two boxes at the Plainfield WalMart today. I hope they will feed in my Sig 22 pistol.

TK :patriot:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Mini Mags suddenly fix problemed 10/22's. It is such a constant solution, I keep mini mags solely for my 10/22's. I am happy to pay $6/100 to get bang every time. Plus they can do this to a 1' square at 25 yards with no rest out of a stock 10/22:

ltrironsights.jpg

They are well worth the money.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I have read that you shouldn't feed a 10/22 a steady diet of stingers because it's hard on the receiver. Also, do yourself a favor and replace the steel bolt stop pin with a "Yellow Jacket" or similar neoprene bolt buffer. I found it really helped with the "Slap" sound of the bolt and it is alot easier on the receiver.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    CCI mini mags are my "top shelf" ammo. I like them a lot.

I use Federal and Remington 550 round bulk packs as a staple though.

I hate the winchester lead nosed xpert 550 round packs. It's pure crap IMO.

What he said. Remington Thunderbolts are a little more expensive than the bulk ammo stuff at about $20 for a brick, and not as good as the mini-mags, but I've had at least one .22 that loved them, and shot them even better than pricier stuff like mini-mags.

.22s are more ammo finicky than any other caliber I can think of. Buy boxes, not bricks, of a a bunch of different kinds of the cheap stuff. You will likely find one that your gun likes better than the others, and you can shoot bunches of that instead of the pricier stuff most of the time.

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    To each his own! A famous saying that is especially applicable to firearms!

I shoot just about everything, My 10/22 likes Mini-mags and loves Augila Golden Eagle Match, and even shoots the Winchester Wildcats better than any other "Match" load out there. ANd on the other hand my little Stevens single shot shoots the Golden Eagle and Win. Xperts better than the the 10/22. I agree with Doug, go buy a box of many different Brands, Bullet weights, styles and see what it likes.

Regardless for plinking it always makes since to me to have plenty of the cheap stuff to shoot regardless if it is Sub-MOA or not.

You do need to watch out with CCI's Stingers though, as mentioned a constant diet in a 10/22 can be rough on it but another thing to watch is because of the longer case, it will not chamber fully in most rifles with a match chamber. And in a rifle that has be fed alot of standard lr, you can have some FTE issues.:twocents:

Top Bottom