• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Of course i would like to add many guns to my wish list as i'm just starting out, but i do have a really nice 10/22 and 1000 rounds of CCI mini mag. Inherited them from my dad. AFter reading a report on here about the lethality of the 22 round, it made realize that even if the SHTF before i can by my wish guns, I'm armed with a lot of ammo in the 10/22.

What can yo tell me about the CCI mini mag and in your opinion, what rounds shoul i be purchaseing in the future. I have no idea what the velocity and bullet weight is of these mini mags. I have read here that one guy liked Winchester XV rated at 1280 fps and CCI stingers rated at 1360.

Lastly, feel free to insert any brags or concerns about the 10/22. I love the education this sight provides..Thanks to everyone. :ingo::ingo::ingo:

Last edited:

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I really want a 10/22.

They are cool guns and I think it would be great fun to have an accurate plinker. Plus, it would be easy to shoot for the wife and all of my friends new to shooting...

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Load up on all the 25rd, 30rd, 50rd mags you can find for that 10/22. After the '94 assault weapons ban, used magazines of this variety would easily fetch over $100. If no new weapons/magazine ban develops, you still have a bunch of magazines full of fun to shoot with!!!

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    CCI mini mags are my "top shelf" ammo. I like them a lot.

I use Federal and Remington 550 round bulk packs as a staple though.

I hate the winchester lead nosed xpert 550 round packs. It's pure crap IMO.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I would also recommend the Mini-Mags. I think Stingers are good too if that is all you are going to shoot at the time. If you mix Mini-Mags with Stingers during a shoot you may need to clean the bore often during the day.

The Stinger's case is a little longer than Mini-Mags. The shorter cases will deposit their "dirt" closer to the end of the bore and then when you shoot the Stingers you may experience failure to eject. The Stingers will hung on the shorter rounds "dirt". This is true with many semi-automatic 22 pistoles and is linkely true with rifles also.

KPierce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Jeffersonville
    Personally I have shot both federal bulk and CCI Stingers without any problems in my .22's. CCI makes a good .22 round and while I haven't shot any of the mini-mag ammo myself. I have no reason to doubt it.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    The Stinger's case is a little longer than Mini-Mags. ...you may experience failure to eject. The Stingers will hung on the shorter rounds "dirt". This is true with many semi-automatic 22 pistoles and is linkely true with rifles also.

Exactly that ^
    YMMV

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    CCI mini mags are a great go to hollow point. Never had any problem with it in any of my semi-autos. Another good choice is the CCI velocitor. It does not have the longer case like a stinger and in my opinion shoots much better. They are about twice the price of the mini mags.

If I can find them I would like to stock up on some Federal Auto match. They shoot good, are relatively clean, and about the same price as mini mags. They seem to function and shoot well in my 10/22 and pistols.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I mostly shoot the bulk federal hps in my 10/22. But I do have a box of the federal auto match. I've shot some but not alot of it yet. I do also really like the velocitors. They've been pretty effective on small game. Question is with my scope (BSA sweet 22) I haven't quite yet figured out which turret to use for them for utmost accuracy. I mostly keep the 36 gr. turret on cause I shoot the bulk federals more. The mini mags are good though, I've had some and they shot well. Will prob buy some more sometime.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    minimags for 100 percent reliability unless it is mag related.... wolf ely or aquila match when shooting for groups or accuracy.... shoot a mag through first before you start testing for accuracy... some of the rounds are wax coated for lube and it takes a while for the wax to even cover the bore and provide consistant results.... federal bulk pack less than 15 for 550 at walmart is what i plink with.

mtk469

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I plink with the federal bulk and sometimes winchester xpert. Both seem to work fine in my 10/22 heavy barrell. When shooting for good groups or at the occasional ground hog, chip monk in the yard I usually use mini mags or augila super colibra both are quite accurate.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    minimags for 100 percent reliability unless it is mag related.... wolf ely or aquila match when shooting for groups or accuracy.... .

If you can find a source for RWS you'll never use any of these again. High Velocity for best terminal performance and Match for accuracy. Believe it or not, it works best in everything I own. All the other stuff works in some and not the others.

teknickle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    God's Country
    I figure if the S ever HTF a steady string of 22's will keep anyones head down!!!! And you can carry a bazillion rounds on you to boot........

A .22 is an awesome survival tool.
    You can grab a pocketful of ammo and it will last you awhile.
    Also, if you have subsonic ammo your .22 is extremely muted with a makeshift suppressor.

You can then pickup all your spent .22 brass to make jacketed reloads for your .223/5.56 !

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom