• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    warsaw
    So, i had the slide duracoated of my carry gun...and i'm regretting it, its chipped all over the place, and though i havent tried, a may even be able to scratch it with my finger nails. It hasnt been done on the inside, so it doesnt effect performance, but i am disapointed with the product i got. The reviews and reputation it has/had left me expecting more. Im getting a smaller carry gun anyway, and id like to fix the slide so we can have an all black gun for our vehicle, that doesnt have a crappy looking pink slide anymore. Would ceracoat be any different? Where can i get it done? Or should i look into doing it myself? Suggestions please!

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    If it's chipping off easily whoever applied it didn't do it correctly. Duracoat when done right is a great product. Ceracoat however is a better coating and last longer and is more resistant to corrosion but duracoat is 2nd in the industry. To fix the slide your going to need to just start over and strip it by sandblasting or another source. Ceracoat is less forgiving in the spraying application for it to look nice. But it's all about preparation. Don't know anyone near you who does either so i cannot say who to go to, but i would suggest going to someone who is reputable and has done it before.

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Send it to cerakote. When you compare all the other finishes out there to cerakote, they are ALL junk.

i just recently had an AR done in FDE and I couldn't be happier with it. It handles all the hell I put it thru. I plan on having several other firearms done when they get a few more love marks on them.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    Just checked Cerakotes map. Looks like this is the closest certified applicator to you.

HIGH MOUNTAIN CUSTOM
    Services: Cerakote™ Firearm Coating
    Cerakote™ High Temp Coating
    Prismatic Powders® Coating
    51345 GOLDEN OAK CT
    GRANGER, IN, 46530, USA

South of Fort Wayne in Decatur is this place.

PANACEA PAINTING & COATING INC
    Services: Cerakote™ High Temp Coating
    Prismatic Powders® Coating
    Cerakote™ Firearm Coating
    1013 COMMERCE DRIVE
    DECATUR, IN, 46733, USA

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Checked out the Diamond Collision sub-forum.

WOW! color me impressed! i have been in aircraft metal work/mechanics/body work and painting for over 25 years and that looks like some top quality workmanship!

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Cerakote is awesome! I had my first sbr done and it's pretty indestructible. (It's the avatar gun) I wasn't thrilled at first, it was a lot of FDE. It's grown on me. I can go to the range and fire several hundred rounds, all marks just wipe off. The finish is impressive.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If it's chipping off easily whoever applied it didn't do it correctly. Duracoat when done right is a great product. Ceracoat however is a better coating and last longer and is more resistant to corrosion but duracoat is 2nd in the industry. To fix the slide your going to need to just start over and strip it by sandblasting or another source. Ceracoat is less forgiving in the spraying application for it to look nice. But it's all about preparation. Don't know anyone near you who does either so i cannot say who to go to, but i would suggest going to someone who is reputable and has done it before.

This pretty much sums it up. A well applied Duracoat finish can be pretty good, but a well applied Cerakote finish will be better. AllenM has a great reputation for well applied Cerakote finishes and is local to the Indy area.

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    and, as with any paintjob, it is ALL in the prep work. prep work means attention to detail. without that, youre just painting a turd.

Top Bottom