• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I understand this topic has been beaten to death and I apologizing for starting a new thread but I couldn't find what I was looking for....... So, here it goes.

I need a new pair of work boots. The pair I have now are about 8 years old and while they aren't completely worn out, I doubt they will withstand the abuse coming this year. I have looked at all sorts of boots and narrowed it down to a couple. Now I seek the advice of INGO.

Before I post a few links, I have a few request/restrictions/requirements

1. Multi Purpose
    - I need to be able to go from the field to the woods and have plenty of traction for loose soil, mud and gravel.
    - Prefer then to be waterproof but not a requirement
    - I can't buy a set of summer and winter boots so a little insulation may be ok but I will likely go with non insulated.

2. Style
    - Lace up
    - 8"

3. Amazon
    - I have to be able to purchase them from Amazon. I use my rewards points from work to purchase amazon gift cards.

So here are the ones I have looked at and thus, the ones I would like input on. Any additional suggestions would be welcome as well.

Amazon.com: Double-H Boots Men's 8 Inch Lacer ST: Shoes

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001319P8S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Amazon.com: Justin Boots Men's J-Max Round-toe Work Boot: Shoes

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I notice you didn't mention anything about steel toes. Is that a requirement at your job?

I know Justin makes a good boot. I can't speak for the other two.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I notice you didn't mention anything about steel toes. Is that a requirement at your job?

I know Justin makes a good boot. I can't speak for the other two.

Actually, I would prefer them without steel toes. I wouldn't be opposed but I don't think the added weight would be needed. I agree, I've heard great things about Justin and Double H but not much on the Wolverines. In fact, the sole is the only think that got me looking at them.

I also looked at a pair of Irish Setters but they were more than I wanted to spend.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Out of the 3 listed, I would go for the Justins. BUT.. that is only because i"m not a fan of frilly stuff on my boots. I currently wear a pair of Magnum side-zips. Gotten used to size-zip from the fire department, and I don't know if I could remember how to actually tie them anymore. lol

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    That Viper boot looks comfortable and waterproof would be nice. Wet feet suck.

I've worn steel toes some and it's noticeable but I guess you get used to it.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I have been wearing work boots for a long time. These RedWings are by far the best I've ever had. They are a saftey toe but it is not steel but a carbon fiber type material. Very light weight and the toe doesn't hold the cold as a steel toe does.

They are $180 but they LAST! Every other boot I've had barely last a year. These last me 2+ years. They also gave a 1 year warranty. They cost more up front but they value over time make them less expensive.

They are also THE most comfortable boot I've ever had.

Product Detail

Last edited:

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    Out of the 3 listed, I would go for the Justins. BUT.. that is only because i"m not a fan of frilly stuff on my boots. I currently wear a pair of Magnum side-zips. Gotten used to size-zip from the fire department, and I don't know if I could remember how to actually tie them anymore. lol

I agree with the frilly stuff but I decided I could look past that as I only plan on wearing these in the field and woods. I also like the Justin boots because they are made in the USA. The only down side is that they are actually more expensive as I have to pay sales tax and shipping on them. It isn't that much but I would feel like a winner if I could keep my out of pocket at $0. :D

That Viper boot looks comfortable and waterproof would be nice. Wet feet suck.

I've worn steel toes some and it's noticeable but I guess you get used to it.

Agree with each statement and I should consider them but I just don't know if I am ready to jump into that kind of boot. I'm probably starting to show my age but I am afraid that they just won't hold up to farm work. If I were strictly wearing them like a city boy and occasionally going out and playing in the woods (not knocking anyone who wears this kind of boot, simply exaggerating my idea of the kind of beating I plan on putting on them), I may re consider.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    You might look at Wolverine boots online. I know that 30 years ago they put an end to the foot pain I was experiencing at work. They last a long time and are comfortable and relatively inexpensive. I've had Redwings and other quality boots but I always go back to Wolverine.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    I have had the exact pair of double h's. They were extremely comfortable and lightweight. They are not water proof though. The frilly crap is just held on by the lace and is easily removable. That being said they did not last much longer than a year for me but I am rough on boots. Also the thread was not the best in mud but was fine in other loose terrain.

So far redwings have outlasted any boot I've worn. They are reasonably priced but are a little on the heavier side and tend to be a little wider

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    Thanks for all the input. I ended up going with the Justin Boots. They were slightly more expensive due to paying sales tax, I ultimately chose them because they are made in America, I was able to put a little money in our local coffers (not that they are using it for any good) and I know from past experience that they are a good boot. I wish the soles had a little more cleat to them but I will make them work. I should have them Saturday and I will try and get a review up after a few weeks of use.

Top Bottom