• Total voters

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Digital TV... Anyone happy with it?

Anyone here having a good time with the government mandated DTV? Not me.

I live right outside the city and I have to deal with this...

YouTube - DIGITAL TV SUCKS!

Anyone happy? Unhappy? Discuss...

Last edited:

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    I have DishTV and once you see digital high def, you will never go back!
    Now don't get me wrong, I `could` live without it, I just don't want to!

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    There not talkin dish we are talkin over the air digital and its great when it works but it cuts out way to much and sometimes channels that just were working goes to no signal. Glad I have AT&T now.

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    Sorry, I voted wrong. I thought the survey was for Direct TV (referred to as DTV). By the way, I love Direct TV.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Anyone here having a good time with the government mandated DTV? Not me.

Anyone happy? Unhappy? Discuss...

I live roughly just of north Mooresville, and use 2 separate antennas, 1 for Indy area stations and 1 to pull 4 and 63, I have no problems what so ever and I'm even able to pull WNDY from Marion and WTTK from Kokomo (Windfall tower location).

How about a general area of where you live (not exact but within 10 square blocks to narrow down a degree setting), type of antenna you are using, any multi-story objects or amount of trees or large trees.

Also as a note, there are still improvements being made as purposed power increases and additional tower height be added by the middle of Sept from ore than a few stations.

Also here's is 2 sites that can help out with getting better signals.

AntennaWeb

TV Fool

Here's the 2 antenna's I have that are great and pull the signals in, both are multi directional.

Antennas Direct | DB8 Long Range Multidirectional HD Antenna
    Antennas Direct | DB4 The Best HDTV Antenna on the Market

You don't have buy from them and can get them from other sources at better prices.

Also as a reminder, a home owners assoc. can NOT prevent you from putting up a outside antenna to pick up public over the air FREE broadcast, there is a FCC law, just don't have the link for it.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I live roughly just of north Mooresville, and use 2 separate antennas, 1 for Indy area stations and 1 to pull 4 and 63, I have no problems what so ever and I'm even able to pull WNDY from Marion and WTTK from Kokomo (Windfall tower location).

How about a general area of where you live (not exact but within 10 square blocks to narrow down a degree setting), type of antenna you are using, any multi-story objects or amount of trees or large trees.

Also as a note, there are still improvements being made as purposed power increases and additional tower height be added by the middle of Sept from ore than a few stations.

Also here's is 2 sites that can help out with getting better signals.

AntennaWeb

TV Fool

Here's the 2 antenna's I have that are great and pull the signals in, both are multi directional.

Antennas Direct | DB8 Long Range Multidirectional HD Antenna
    Antennas Direct | DB4 The Best HDTV Antenna on the Market

You don't have buy from them and can get them from other sources at better prices.

Also as a reminder, a home owners assoc. can NOT prevent you from putting up a outside antenna to pick up public over the air FREE broadcast, there is a FCC law, just don't have the link for it.

Somewhere ~1 mile north of 465 between Meridian and Keystone. My neighborhood does have many large trees, but I have trouble even when I use the large attic antenna.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My eyes don't see in high def.
    My ears don't hear in high def.
    My expectations and satisfaction threshold is pretty low.
    I am satisfied.
    I use rabbit ears.
    But My wife has taken away the tv for now. So, it does not matter.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    I am 60+ miles south of Indy
    I am 60+ miles north of Louisville
    I am 60+ miles east of Terre Haute

SO, if I want to watch TV at all, I gotta have a satellite of some brand!
    Otherwise I might get one or two channels occasionally.
    It is pricey, but it is awesome in clarity!

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I'm about 50 miles north east of Indy. I need to get my outside antenna cable fixed, the adapter broke, and it goes from the 2 wire flat, to the round coax. I just need to get out there and fix it. But otherwise I have one of the RCA amplified digital antennas, the flat one. Before the total switch it did pretty good, i still got most all my channels except for channel 8. Now I hardly get anything. I get 6 (no 8 or 13), 20 sometimes, 23 and 29 but they both require me to move the antenna to diff positions to get any sort of signal, 40 and 59, 59 is the same as 23 and 29. So overall it sucks pretty bad for me. Hopefully if I get the other antenna fixed it'll help. If not, I don't watch much tv anymore anyways.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Somewhere ~1 mile north of 465 between Meridian and Keystone. My neighborhood does have many large trees, but I have trouble even when I use the large attic antenna.

How old is the antenna, and on what side of the house is it?

If it's old, it's not very suitable for DTV reception, also if your antenna is on the east side of the house, it needs to be more on the west side. Also you may have to move the antenna to a better angle to improve it's reception.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    How old is the antenna, and on what side of the house is it?

If it's old, it's not very suitable for DTV reception, also if your antenna is on the east side of the house, it needs to be more on the west side. Also you may have to move the antenna to a better angle to improve it's reception.

I have tried different positions for all my antennas. I have about 7 in all including amplified, I just use the two best.

Set top: Brand new Phillips, center of the house near a large (12' x 7'), south facing window that has a clear view of the S-SW sky.

Attic: Unknown age, directly above set top antenna.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Here's my antenna

antennadlr.jpg

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have tried different positions for all my antennas. I have about 7 in all including amplified, I just use the two best.

Set top: Brand new Phillips, center of the house near a large (12' x 7'), south facing window. Best spot in the house for a set top.

Attic: Unknown age, directly above set top antenna.

Set top antennas are not really that great, from where you live a TERK-TV55 to replace the attic antenna should do great. I have one as a back up that I used to use as my main antenna when I lived in Mooresville and it pulled in all the Indy channels.

It can be easily hung in the attic.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Here's my antenna

antennadlr.jpg

Ah yes, a rotor mounted directioal, how far have you pulled anything in?

When I was setting mine up before I tightened the mast I pulled WLFI out of Lafayette and also got the NBC station in Terra Haute also.

I settled on a compass setting of 35 degrees to pull everything from Indy to Marion. I'm think I'm getting 9 or 10 stations with the main and 2 with my secondary pointed towards 149 degrees for a total of 11 or 12 stations.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    I live about 50 miles southeast of Chicago. We had a little trouble getting channels so we bought a $20 amplifier from home depot and that fixed it. Also remember for every tv you hook up to an antenna the signal will drop 50%

rhino400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Delaware County
    I live out in Brown County. So if it wasn't for satellite tv we wouldn't have anything. To put in perspective my situation. I still have dial-up internet at home.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ah yes, a rotor mounted directioal, how far have you pulled anything in?

When I was setting mine up before I tightened the mast I pulled WLFI out of Lafayette and also got the NBC station in Terra Haute also.

I settled on a compass setting of 35 degrees to pull everything from Indy to Marion. I'm think I'm getting 9 or 10 stations with the main and 2 with my secondary pointed towards 149 degrees for a total of 11 or 12 stations.

During analog days, south bend, chicago, and some part of Illinois.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I am kinda like Panama, I live out here in Nowhere, Indiana. I used to be able to watch TV from Indy without any problems. Now good luck trying...

Top Bottom