• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Below is the 2009 calendar for DTI (John & Vicki Farnam) classes in Indiana. They visit Rochester, IN every spring and I recommend them and their classes without reservation. They're among the very best in the business.

2009 DTI Course Schedule For Rochester, Indiana

May 8 ~ Lecture for classes on the 9th and 10th. by John Farnam (6:30pm EST)

May 9-10 ~ Women's Basic Handgun Instructed by Vicki Farnam. Cost $525 Open to women only.

May 9-10 ~ Basic/Intermediate Handgun Instructed by John Farnam. Cost $525 Open to all.

May 11-12 ~ Defensive Revolver Instructed by John Farnam and Dennis Reichard. Cost $525 Open to all.

May 13-15 ~ Urban Rifle Instructed by John Farnam. Cost $525 Open to all

May 15,16 & 17 ~ DTI Instructors Course Instructed by John and Vicki Farnam. Cost $525 Contact DTI for requirements and prerequisites.

May 15 ~ Lecture for Women's Basic Handgun course on the 16th and 17th by John Farnam (6:30pm EST)

May 16-17 ~ Women's Basic Handgun Instructed by Vicki Farnam. Cost $525 Open to women only.

All classes start at 8:45am EST unless otherwise noted.

A $200 deposit is required for each class. Deposits, in check or money order form, made out to "DTI", to be mailed to:

DTI/ILL
    P.O. Box 385
    Crete, IL 60417

Courses will be held at:

The Sand Burr Gun Ranch
    2111 East 350 North
    Rochester, Indiana 46975
    574-223-3316

GPS:
    41deg 06min 20.76sec N
    86deg 12min 13.25sec W

Hotel Information:

Super 8
    209 E. McDonalds Rd.
    Rochester, Indiana 46975
    574-224-8080

Comfort Inn
    289 McDonalds Rd.
    Rochester, Indiana 46975
    574-223-7300

Ask for the DTI rate.

Contacts:

Dr. Paula Bratich
    708-710-2511
    redcolt55@att.net

Frank Sharpe, Jr.
    708-362-0786
    dtomfrank@yahoo.com

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    And FYI...the Super 8 is actually nicer than the Comfort....or at least it was 4 years ago when I last stayed there.

There are a few hotels in Plymouth, too. Not *that* far of a drive; plus there are better places to eat.

-J-

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks for the hotel lowdown, IG77. I've never been to the area, but I'm probably going to be there for at least one of the classes in May09. It's always good to know the best (or better) place to stay!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Sure thing, Rhino.

The Holiday Inn Express in Plymouth is nice...but can get salty. The "old" Holiday Inn (now the Plymouth Inn or something?) is where we stayed quite a bit of the time for work due to cost. I also believe there's a Super 8 in Plymouth... It's "west of town" on 30...on the south side of US 30...not too far from Walmart. I've also stayed there several times.

Heck, there aren't many places in Indiana that I haven't stayed!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I intend to be in the 09-10 Basic/Intermediate Handgun class if anyone else wants to join me!

For any female-type persons reading this, the women's class is probably a must-do, regardless of your current skill level. If you have to make choices, I think this might be the one to choose for the year.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    Are there any detailed on what the classes teach? I'm interested in the Urban Rifle course. Thanks

J,

Sorry about my delayed response!

The Urban Rifle course touches on all of these subjects:

Rifle choices, sling use, field stripping, ammunition selection, legalities, mindset and lecture on use of the carbine/rifle in an urban environment.

Range time will cover:
    -zeroing
    -shooting positions
    -use of cover and concealment
    -speed reloads and military reloads
    -malfunctions
    -transitions to handgun
    -weapon retention
    -deployment from pointblank to 100+ yards
    -engagement of multiple targets
    -movement
    -dealing with hostage situations

And more!

Let me know if there are any other questions I can answer for you!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    No one else is going to any of these classes??!!

Is it because of the scheduling or because you have not heard of John Farnam or what?

Oh, well. I'm in the 08-10MAY09 handgun class. I just made my reservation at the Super 8 (as per the recommendation earlier in the topic).

Anyone know the best route from Crawfordsville to Rochester? I'm thinking I should just take SR-25 from Lafayette all the way there. It looks like the most direct route, but I've never driven it. It could be stop'n'go from hell for all I know.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm surprised no one else is taking advantage of these opportunities. I've been through a few classes with a variety of instructors, but I'm making a point to attend a Farnam class this year. I wanted to do it in the past, but scheduling and other logistics problems made me look to "next year." I decided this year to stop delaying it and just do it.

It's probably not too late to get into one or more of the classes if you want.

I'll be leaving for Rochester on Friday (assuming I get all of my grading done).

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    I'm surprised no one else is taking advantage of these opportunities. I've been through a few classes with a variety of instructors, but I'm making a point to attend a Farnam class this year. I wanted to do it in the past, but scheduling and other logistics problems made me look to "next year." I decided this year to stop delaying it and just do it.

It's probably not too late to get into one or more of the classes if you want.

I'll be leaving for Rochester on Friday (assuming I get all of my grading done).

You'd better be leaving Friday - there's an evening lecture! 6pm EST.

We have 17 in your class, plus 6 in the women's class. The revolver and rifle courses aren't as packed, but they are getting close to full.

If someone else wants to jump in, we'll make room - the range is big enough and we have enough help and targets!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Defense Training International Basic/Intermediate Handgun

with instructor John Farnam

Sand Burr Gun Ranch, Rochester Indiana

08-10 May 2009

This past weekend (08-10MAY09) I had the good fortune and pleasure to participate in the DTI Basic/Intermediate Handgun class with instructor John Farnam. I’ve been friends with one of his assistant instructors (Glock21 on INGO) for several years, and while I’ve had the desire to complete one of John’s classes, it was never a reality until now. Based on my relationship with Glock21, I was expecting an excellent experience and to learn quite a bit. In this case, the class and the instructor exceeded my expectations by a substantial margin. I learned a lot and I have a lot of fun along the way. I believed that John Farnam was one of the best teachers in the business, but now I know it for sure.

Briefly summarizing the class, we spent the evening on Friday in lecture. Saturday was a very long day (0830 until 2230), which included starting from avoiding trouble to how to move and present your weapon in case you needed to use force to defend yourself. Sunday included extending the concepts from Saturday, plus the final exam, which if you passed earned you DTI’s red pin.

I learned a lot of things from the class, but I think some of the most important were:

· John Farnam teaches you how to protect yourself by first avoiding trouble, de-escalating and defusing next, preparing to use force if necessary, and ultimately how to use force to defend yourself. This class is all about avoiding trouble and self-defense. It’s not about “fighting” or whatever the buzzword of the week is among the cool kids.

· John shares with you the continuum of what can happen to you when accosted by someone who just wants to talk all the way to someone with ill-intent seeking to harm you. He then presents (and drills) how you can deal with such situations with the least amount of force necessary. He also shares what to expect when dealing with the police afterward, and how to interact with them.

· The class was challenging, especially mentally. DTI has an excellent “system” that is consistent, efficient, and is proven to be effective. It’s all simple when you step back and examine the individual skills involved, but it’s not necessarily easy (nowhere close to easy!). Still, most things of value are bought with hard work and this is no different.

I’ve been recommending DTI and John Farnam for a while now, based on his reputation, my relationship with some of his assistants, and having been in a seminar he did in Memphis a couple of years ago. Now that I’ve completed a full class with him, I am even more comfortable with recommending him without reservation.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    go ahead... rub it in a little more... had fun... yea yea yea (jealousy is uncontrollable)

Did you pick anything up to add to your courses, a little more insight or broader approach to something?

Top Bottom