• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Does it make a difference when you dry fire a pistol whether you have an empty mag in or not? It seems to me that there was at least one model of pistol that you should not dry fire without a mag in, but I cannot recall which model. I used to own an SA XD and maybe that was it?

Anyway, I do not want to damage my pistols by doing it incorrectly. So let me know if it matters about the mag in or out when I dry fire.

Thanks!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The guns that have a mag safety...need the mag inserted.

The others - choice is yours.

However, in addition to just dry-fire practice, take the opportunity to practice mag changes + using dummy ammo.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Mag out if the pistol allows for it. I prefer not to have a magazine in the same room as the pistol if I'm doing dry fire work. If the mag isn't needed there is no need in risking a loaded mag getting grabbed by mistake.

If I'm using dummy rounds and magazine during dry fire I make sure there is no live ammo in the room I am working for the same reasons.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Mag out if the pistol allows for it. I prefer not to have a magazine in the same room as the pistol if I'm doing dry fire work. If the mag isn't needed there is no need in risking a loaded mag getting grabbed by mistake.

If I'm using dummy rounds and magazine during dry fire I make sure there is no live ammo in the room I am working for the same reasons.

I heard an interesting take on that this weekend. Unfortunately I don't remember which instructor said it. Anyway his take on that he likes to keep his carry ammo within view when he is doing dry practice, that way he knows exactly where his ammo is and that it is not in his gun. He had more explanation to it than that, but That is all I remember word for word.

I am not advocating that practice, just mentioning it because I hadn't heard anyone put it that way before. Though I suspect their are many who do it that way. I use mag in the gun mostly because I practice mag changes. A lot of my dry practice is done with a SIRT gun.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Something to keep in mind, on some pistols you could damage the firing pin if you dry fire them. Check with the manufacture and see if they require using "snap caps" to dry fire. If they do, then you would need your mag. If they don't require snap caps (my experience is limited to the older Glock pistols in this catagory), then no magazine needed. But it is best to check before you break something on your pistol.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Something to keep in mind, on some pistols you could damage the firing pin if you dry fire them. Check with the manufacture and see if they require using "snap caps" to dry fire. If they do, then you would need your mag. If they don't require snap caps (my experience is limited to the older Glock pistols in this catagory), then no magazine needed. But it is best to check before you break something on your pistol.
    This is not an issue with any quality, modern, center-fire pistol (anything someone's likely to dry-fire practice with).

IMO, Snap-Caps are for range use only.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I have two "P" series Rugers, the P95 has no disconnect and is fine to dry fire. The P345 has a disconnect and must either have snap caps or the magazine inserted. According to the owners manual dry firing without the magazine inserted will damage the firing pin. The S&W's I own; 645, 4506 and 4513tsw the magazine disconnect disables the trigger so it must be inserted. Jim.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I have two "P" series Rugers, the P95 has no disconnect and is fine to dry fire. The P345 has a disconnect and must either have snap caps or the magazine inserted. According to the owners manual dry firing without the magazine inserted will damage the firing pin. The S&W's I own; 645, 4506 and 4513tsw the magazine disconnect disables the trigger so it must be inserted. Jim.
    If I remember correctly this is the same for the Ruger SR45 I had. I also believe it stated in the manual that the magazine had to be inserted to dry fire with the magazine disconnect in order to avoid any possible damage.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI

I think that's both a conscious decision and muscle memory at the same time. I believe you need to be aware of what you are putting in your gun before making the decision on what to do with it. It's the same idea where people don't want to have ammo around them when they clean the gun. I don't get that mentality.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I don't get what's not to get. I see no problem going overboard on safety when I'm working with my pistol in my home. I didn't suggest it was mandatory. If I'm doing dry fire work I don't need a mag, it's just going to cause the slide to lock open when I go to reset the trigger. If I'm practicing reloads I usually have a couple of dummy rounds in each mag to prevent snagging the feed lips on the mag well.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Dry fire will get you killed on the streetz.

Live fire only, because you don't want to build muscle memory of firing without recoil. That will make your double-taps super slow.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Dry fire will get you killed on the streetz.

Live fire only, because you don't want to build muscle memory of firing without recoil. That will make your double-taps super slow.

wait-what.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If all guns were always loaded every Glock on the planet that has been cleaned would have been negligently discharged. I currently have four which haven't. Dry fire doesn't kill anyone if done properly.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Uh... yeah. Agreed, phylo. :facepalm:

Just to clarify, dry firing will not slow down double-taps. Nor will it negatively affect muscle memory in any manner whatsoever.

I always use Snap Caps, 'cause I have 'em and there's no harm in using them. For a Glock, one needs only to pull the slide back, like 1/4" to reset the trigger, so there's no issue with locking the slide back or ejecting the Snap Cap.

I also use them for mag change practice (mags full w/ Snap Caps) 'cause they add back some 'missing weight', and I have that many available.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Just remember the rule, never point your gun at anything you aren't willing to destroy. This applies to dry fire as well because defecation occurs and when the defecation hits the rotary atmosphere oscillator you want to be sure the bullet hits something that is not near and dear to you. Buy or make a practice magazine that cannot be loaded with ammo.

Top Bottom