• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I couldn't site the law but that is what my trucker friends have told me. It's supposed to be part of the cdl laws and regulations.

So I guess their CDL replaces their regular DL? Because how else would the police officer know? Seems like all he/she'd have to do is hand them their regular DL and after they blew a .04, they'd be on their way.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    CDL replaces your regular DL

OK, so they automatically know when you present your ID.

So I guess it's a zero tolerance issue.

That's really odd they'd get their CDL taken from them for blowing a .04 in their own personal car. I don't condone drinking and driving, but (while in their personal vehicle) should have the same rights as everyone else...Seems pretty silly IMO.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I know a few truckers that carry a DL and a CDL from different states just for this reason

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    I know a few truckers that carry a DL and a CDL from different states just for this reason
    they better never get caught. I have my cdl and I wouldn't jepordize having it just cuz I want something to drink. anytime a cdl driver fills out an application for employment, he has to fill out work history, addresses and all D.L. #'s he/she has had for the past 10 yrs.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    they better never get caught. I have my cdl and I wouldn't jepordize having it just cuz I want something to drink. anytime a cdl driver fills out an application for employment, he has to fill out work history, addresses and all D.L. #'s he/she has had for the past 10 yrs.

I'm sure they just omitted this second DL, the ones I know all live in IN but use the terminal address in KY to get a DL, if they get a DUI on their DL they are still losing their jobs I'm sure, my former BIL had 4 different state DL when he was in the Navy

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I'm sure the state would catch your cdl if you presented a regular dl if you blow over .08.

I'm sure they would too, their reason was they could blow .06 and still be legal, seemed like they were looking for problems but one had been doing it for 20 years and no problems

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I'm sure the state would catch your cdl if you presented a regular dl if you blow over .08.

Which they absolutely should, because driving with .08(sometimes as low as .05) or higher is illegal. However, driving with a BAC of .04 isn't illegal anywhere in the United States(IIRC).

It doesn't matter with any other job, I don't see why it would matter with a truck driver off of the clock.

IMO.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Which they absolutely should, because driving with .08(sometimes as low as .05) or higher is illegal. However, driving with a BAC of .04 isn't illegal anywhere in the United States(IIRC).

It doesn't matter with any other job, I don't see why it would matter with a truck driver off of the clock.

IMO.

It is illegal, from my understanding, to drive impaired. The arbitrary limits on legal intoxication are a ceiling, but not a floor. I believe you can be charged with and convicted of DUI in many states without blowing over the limit...or even blowing at all.

If a jury accepts a police officer's testimony that you drove impaired, you're toast.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Iirc, in Germany, if you so much as registered they could say you failed the field sobriety test. They always warned those with a southern draw not to take a sip if they were driving. To the polizei, a southern twang made someone sound drunk.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    It is illegal, from my understanding, to drive impaired. The arbitrary limits on legal intoxication are a ceiling, but not a floor. I believe you can be charged with and convicted of DUI in many states without blowing over the limit...or even blowing at all.

If a jury accepts a police officer's testimony that you drove impaired, you're toast.

Yes, the .08 limit is just a ceiling, but it has been my understanding that .05 is the floor...However, up until ~2003(I think?) you could blow a .04 and have people in your car drinking and it'd be legal. Maybe when they changed that law, they also changed the .05 floor. I honestly don't know.

(BTW, I'm talking about IN law)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    You can be charged with operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated without coming anywhere near a blood draw or breath test. Typically if someone does consent to a test and they are above the legal limit they are charged with operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated and operating a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol content of .08% or greater. Two separate charges.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Yes, the .08 limit is just a ceiling, but it has been my understanding that .05 is the floor...However, up until ~2003(I think?) you could blow a .04 and have people in your car drinking and it'd be legal. Maybe when they changed that law, they also changed the .05 floor. I honestly don't know.

(BTW, I'm talking about IN law)

There are a number of reasons why I shouldn't and can't opine on the more subjective notions of Indiana law, among them that I don't know them, haven't read them, etc.

That said, my understanding of DUI statutes generally is that driving impaired == a violation. That might not be true in Indiana.

I can say that I'd never inform a police officer that I was drinking before he pulled me over. Most cops that I know have put away plenty of people for DUI after "two beers." Whether I was telling the truth or not, he'd probably never know (aka, I probably would be the guy who had two beers legitimately, whereas others would say that, even though it'd be a lie). Either way, I don't feel the need to find out whether he does or not by mentioning that I drank alcohol before getting behind the wheel.

deerslayer13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    indpls in
    i live in the area and that there has made me mad. yes he was 2 times over the limit going 90 mph into the intersection. 4 felony charges of drinking where droped agianst him since his pals did not follow proper blood draw proc. if that was me or u i will tell u now that it would not matter how they got the prof we where drunk we would get all charges used agianst us no ?s

deerslayer13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    indpls in
    of course FBI is involved now but even so there has been no fed offence cometed so my opion is they want to make it look like they care when really they dont

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    EckFrank
    Top Bottom