• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USA#1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    In the forest
    Me and some of my neighbors have had drones flying over our private property lately. All of our houses are on a good amount of acreage in the country. I would like to know what the laws are and if there is anything we can do to put a stop to this.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I know in Kentucky they sometimes use drones to look for property improvements that they can use to raise your taxes. Might check with your county government to see if it’s them.

USA#1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    In the forest
    I should clarify that I am not looking for answers on who it might be. There are some neighbors that are a problem for a multitude of reasons, this being one of them. The only thing I need to figure out is what the laws are concerning them flying these drones over my property and if there is anything I can do to stop it.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    You definitely should consider the consequences of using the "12 ga." or "open fire" approaches that, I hope, have been suggested in jest.

Shooting down an aircraft (which drones are) could potentially draw the sort of attention from the FAA that you would not want. Even the threat of shooting down an aircraft, can get one 5 yrs. in the federal pokey.

Generally drones are allowed to fly over private property in uncontrolled airspace unless the operator is flying recklessly/unsafely.

There are lots of nuances here, and since I'm not an attorney, this is all I'll offer.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Indiana's state laws prohibit flying drones over private properties. Even law enforcement officers need to get warranted with exceptions before using it in surveillance operations. Therefore, you should always avoid flying your drone over private properties as much as possible.

Because drones present these other problems of trespass and invasion of privacy, you might get away with damaging a drone if it were doing something particularly offensive, however, if the drone is only flying over your land and it's not near any buildings and not landing on your property, it's probably best to leave it alone. If it really bothers you, call local law enforcement and see if they can offer you any help.

These are taken from google searches. I suggest contacting local law enforcement.

maxipum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Bloomington
    You definitely should consider the consequences of using the "12 ga." or "open fire" approaches that, I hope, have been suggested in jest.

Shooting down an aircraft (which drones are) could potentially draw the sort of attention from the FAA that you would not want. Even the threat of shooting down an aircraft, can get one 5 yrs. in the federal pokey.

Generally drones are allowed to fly over private property in uncontrolled airspace unless the operator is flying recklessly/unsafely.

There are lots of nuances here, and since I'm not an attorney, this is all I'll offer.
    Yes, totally kidding, but it would be fun.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    SSS. Or maybe acquire/hire your own drone/operator to have a closer look-see at where these drones are flying to and from. There are web pages out there describing how to jam or disorient a drone, legalities unknown. I wouldn't be very happy if a neighbor flew his drone over my property. And if it were to be a recurrence, well....

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Boner drone notwithstanding, as an amateur drone flyer, I'll say this: I'm sure in the course of my flying, I've flown over people's houses. Of course, I'm usually at least 200 ft up, and moving, so most people never know I was there. If a drone is flying low over your property and/or hovering over your property, I would think you have a disturbing-the-peace and/or trespass complaint to make, and I wouldn't hesitate doing that.

Couple other things:

-I have a relatively high-end drone, in it's capabilities, but it only has a 1x lens in the camera. If a drone passes over your property, it's not like they can zoom into your bedroom with the camera. Unless the operators are rich, then they might have a zoom lens.

- Drones have short flight time. Mine has about 25 minutes. If you were stealthy, you may be able to follow them to the operator. Also, the operator has to be fairly close. Mine has probably a 2 mile range, under the best of conditions. Trees and other obstacles will shorten that range.

Best of luck with it OP.

Top Bottom