• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Going on a short vacation to Colorado with the family. Looking for any tips or suggestions since I plan on carrying. Kind of last minute question for me, I know. Just wondering if there's anything I should be aware of. The one obvious thing will be going through Illinois with the firearm and ammo placed in the trunk. We'll be going to St Louis and doing these three possible activities:

1. Splash City Waterpark

1. St. Louis Zoo

1. City Museum

Then we'll drive to Bonner Springs, KS for overnight

From Bonner Springs to Hays, KS for some more activities
    Then on to Denver, CO for an overnight and more activities before driving to our final destination somewhat West of Denver.

So as you see, there'll be museums, theme parks, zoos, and whatnot along the way. Lots of iffy situations as to whether I should leave it in the car or not.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    At the city museum in st louie you will want a holster that is super secure as half of the things to do requier climbing crawling trough tunnels and tubes etc.

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    You don't have to put the gun in the trunk through IL.
    A. Even with current laws, it simply has to be unloaded, meaning mag out without a chambered round. It needs to be in a case, and the glove box counts as a case. The mag can be fully loaded, as long as it's not inserted into the firearm. The mag is ok to be sitting right next to the gun. I would reccomend you have your registration and proof of insurance somewhere other than you have have the gun, though, just to avoid hassles.

B. The deadline for I'LL to vote on the law is tonight. You MIGHT just be able to carry on you person, in your car, as long as you don't get out of the car with the gun on you. However, I'm not positive if that law goes in effect tonight at midnight, or if there is some additional waiting period for the law.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Wasn't my plan. The other half's relatives are renting a lodge. I'm going for security sake and I'll try to have fun as well.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    You might want to brush up on the recent changes to the law in Colorado. I believe they have a mag capacity limit in place. Not sure if there is a grandfather clause or not.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Speaking of rocky mtn nat park , the horseshoe park area has always been the best for seeing Elk.

Also the Elk tend to congregate on the golf course area as you enter Estes Park from the east it is on your right.

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    The IL law just passed and is effective at 12:01 am tonight. You can now have a loaded gun on your person, in your car, while in the state if you have a license from another state. Just don't get out of the car with the gun and you're good to go. I'd suggest stopping in Terre Haute for gas, then pushing through into MO. ;)

Brown Sound

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2013
    Terre Haute
    I just moved back to 'The Haute' last year from Colorado, before all of the new crazy laws (BTW, most of the CO sheriffs are refusing to enforce those laws). Anyhoo, when I left, Colorado was an unlicensed OC state, which was great. ** IMPORTANT ** the city of Denver has a no carry (any carry) law on the books, if was grandfathered in from the late 1800's, during the wild west days. I would definitely check the NRA legal site for Colorado before leaving. Enjoy the trip, it is a beautiful state. :):

bosaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2013
    Bring a primitive muzzle loader and carry it open. The BATFE does not consider it to be a firearm. You shouldn't have a problem in any state.

Top Bottom