• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rdg

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Fishers
    Anyone know of a local (Indy area) gunsmith that can fix the Jam? I have an 1894 lever action in 44 mag that I love but it gets the Jam (usually on loading a round after firing one...but not every time).

Gun was bought new over the winter.

Thanks for any help.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Hmm....how old is it?

Is it an older Marlin, or one of the last ones made by hand at Marlin?

If the later is the case, one of the last ones before all the workers were fired, then chances are something inside is FUBAR. Sending it to Remington might be an option, but I wouldn't expect a quick turn around time.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Yes

What few Marlin 1894's have been showing up , Yes they seem to be having issues. I have noticed that since Remington bought them out, Fired everyone and moved the operation that Quality control does not seem to be real important to them.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Remington bought Marlin, told all the workers there that they were going to produce X amount of rifles then they were going to be fired and the plant was to be moved.

So, the Marlin employees started putting out rifles that wouldn't work because well, they didn't care (can you blame them?).

All of Marlin's machines were older than hell, WAY out of spec, and no schematics were around so the old employees knew how to grind certain parts by hand, basically making all older Marlins hand fitted and fairly high quality.

Remington didn't know about the machines being so off, and after they moved them to the new plant, couldn't get them to work right at first.

With no schematics, no old workers willing to help little ol' Freedom Group, and with machines that just wouldn't work; Remington had to redesign the 1894 to be made by CNC machines, and with Freedom Group not knowing its head from its as*, this process took a while.

On top of everything, Marlin (Rem Marlin) claims they're only doing to do pistol caliber lever actions in 1 or 2 runs a year.

Anything Freedom Group touches just shrivels up and dies. Remington quality, fit and finish going down, AAC, Marlin, I'm sure Barnes and Tapco will suffer

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Remington bought Marlin, told all the workers there that they were going to produce X amount of rifles then they were going to be fired and the plant was to be moved.

So, the Marlin employees started putting out rifles that wouldn't work because well, they didn't care (can you blame them?).

All of Marlin's machines were older than hell, WAY out of spec, and no schematics were around so the old employees knew how to grind certain parts by hand, basically making all older Marlins hand fitted and fairly high quality.

Remington didn't know about the machines being so off, and after they moved them to the new plant, couldn't get them to work right at first.

With no schematics, no old workers willing to help little ol' Freedom Group, and with machines that just wouldn't work; Remington had to redesign the 1894 to be made by CNC machines, and with Freedom Group not knowing its head from its as*, this process took a while.

On top of everything, Marlin (Rem Marlin) claims they're only doing to do pistol caliber lever actions in 1 or 2 runs a year.

Anything Freedom Group touches just shrivels up and dies. Remington quality, fit and finish going down, AAC, Marlin, I'm sure Barnes and Tapco will suffer

It would be hard for Tapco to fall any farther.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    A buddy of mine has had a few cases of the DMJ since he bought the gun new in the mid 80's.
    I have no doubt that Marlins new owners have enhanced the liklihood and severity of it, and have probably invented new variations of it.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I had my pre-Rem Marlin 336w lockup hard after cleaning. I found out the locking block was engaged, and just had to turn the gun upside down for gravity to drop the block. Easy fix really. I don't know if this is the same thing, but what else would lock besides the locking block?

I don't see this as a design flaw necessarily, since the locking block is CRITICAL to prevent the bolt from shooting straight back into your eye when shooting an 1894. I'd prefer it lock too much than not enough ;-).

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I had my pre-Rem Marlin 336w lockup hard after cleaning. I found out the locking block was engaged, and just had to turn the gun upside down for gravity to drop the block. Easy fix really. I don't know if this is the same thing, but what else would lock besides the locking block?

I don't see this as a design flaw necessarily, since the locking block is CRITICAL to prevent the bolt from shooting straight back into your eye when shooting an 1894. I'd prefer it lock too much than not enough ;-).

I've never had that happen (old 336) but it might so I need to remember this.
    I think my friend caused his troubles by partially opening the action to see if a round was chambered.

rdg

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Fishers
    Lots of good info...thanks everyone. Not sure I trust myself to try and do the modification though, which is why I was looking for a local gunsmith.

randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    apparently I must be one lucky son of a gun because I have a newer Marlin from 2011 in .357 and it shoots great. I did do a polish and trigger tune on it but it worked fine before that, just a lot smoother now. I have heard of a lot of those complaints about Rem/marlins but the fit and finish on mine is grreat and it is accurate too. Love it!!

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne

Do your research. It is a well-known design flaw.

From 2004. THE OTHER MARLIN JAMS

From 2011. New Marlin 1894c, Big problem.

Here is a list of Marlin jam threads dating back to 2009. Jams Of All Kinds

There are many other threads. Some have developed ways to correct it.

Top Bottom