• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I'm heavily considering buying a draco with the intent of turning it into a sbr after paying the gubment their part and blah, blah, blah. My experience with the whole AK platform (draco platform) is pretty limited and I've just started researching what I can. Is there anything I should really look for (or stay away from) with these plans in mind? What say INGO?

SynnerG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    I'm keeping my Draco standard, besides the stock and new grip. I have an AR for the tacticool rails and all that. But my Draco was my first AK platform as well and when I watched a Youtube vid on how to field strip it and I did so, I fell in love. Great design, easy as heck to do.

I don't advocate that it's needed or should be tried (lots of springs and such), but I took mine all the way down including popping the pins out to take the trigger group out. Partially to learn about it, but also I did a "trigger job" to wash away all the crusty cosmoline that was making my trigger pull gritty, and then polished up some of the contact points. Now it's almost as good as the 2-stage on my AR.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    If you're going to the 1500 , look for Acme sports . They're selling them for $400 OTD , which if you figure in shipping and transfer fees is a good deal .

They're great little guns and you can get them in .223 or 7.62x39 . As far as I know "standard" AK rail systems don't fit without some modding so if you want to change the hand guards beware of that .

As a "piggy back" if the OP doesn't mind :

Does anyone know if a standard under folder kit will work on a Draco (length wise) providing I have the under folder rear trunnion ?

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    I want one! Glad to see 2ADMNLOVER got his, I've been following his thread in the WTB section. Did you get the short 7.5" or standard 11.5" barrel? Unfortunately, I'm probably not going to make to the 1500 though.

One other thing I might do besides the whole SBR route is pin on a barrel extension and muzzle device to 16". I handled a Fuller build recently and was really impressed with the Bolton gas block it had on it. While the reduction in weight wasn't that much, not having the front sight all the way out there made a huge difference in balance and perceived weight. Problem is by the time I pay for the parts and pinning/silver soldering with a gunsmith, I'll probably be pretty close to a $200 NFA tax. Also guys have reported if you use the "SAS" sling hold hits to 100 yards are possible in pistol configuration.

If anybody sees the 11.5" version in an Indy area shop let me know. I've been getting on the handgun classifieds about every 3 hours to see if one has popped up.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    I bought the shorter of the two, if you are going to make a short barreled rifle for a fun gun like I am, why not make it the shortest you can while still functioning and looking good!

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Did you get the short 7.5" or standard 11.5" barrel?

Also guys have reported if you use the "SAS" sling hold hits to 100 yards are possible in pistol configuration..

It's the 11.5 version , I'll probably leave this one "stock" other than adding a stock as my other one is all "tacticooled" .

I took my first Draco to Atterbury a few months ago to the 100 yard range and did pretty well . I didn't use any fancy techniques , I held the gun as normal with both of my elbows resting the bench .

I was able to put rounds in the targets head and CM using the above method and didn't think it would matter a whole lot if I were standing , un-supported .

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Well i'll be putting mine up for sale in the next week or so, its already ready to be a SBR, just need to send in the paperwork, get it engraved, wait for paperwork to get back, then grind off the attached muzzle brake. I already have everything mounted including the ace folding mechanism with the magpul m4 stock ect..... Heres my finished thread on it if you want to take a look. Just never ended up sbring it myself, now i'm looking for a kimber 1911. Anyways send me a PM if you are interested and we can discuss it.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/133503-finally_finished_my_draco_rifle.html

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    Looks good! Probably out of my price range for this project. Trying to start of small, bit definitely a great option. Where did you get that brake? I'm looking at the CNC warrior 4" extension and then a flash hider.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I bought the shorter of the two, if you are going to make a short barreled rifle for a fun gun like I am, why not make it the shortest you can while still functioning and looking good!

Where did you get it? have you found any fore grips/rail systems that will fit the Draco Mini?

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Where did you get it? have you found any fore grips/rail systems that will fit the Draco Mini?
    I ordered mine from J and G sales out of Arizona. Last time I checked they had gone backorder since I got mine, but keep an eye on them. It was just shy of $450 with shipping. I have not found anyone who make a rail for the mini so I will be taking one and doing some cutting to make it work. Good thing is, I have time because my paper work is still at the CCB waiting to get signed, then another few months at the BATFE and then it will be ready to rock and roll!

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    I saw those, but I don't think they would work on the Draco Mini... the 7.75 inch barrel.

Sorry, misread your post. Krebs makes a pricey one for standard "Krinkovs" and Ultimak makes a top rail for them too. I don't know if the Krebs would work with the Mini due to size and retainer but at least the Ultimak can be cut down if needed.

Top Bottom