• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Not sure how you want shape the discussion, but it shouldn't go in the Break Room. I guess you want to focus on the sport? :dunno:

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    Really? Are there places with 15000 doves just flying past all day? I know they're dumb birds but you'd think they'd start to realize something is wrong with all their buddies dropping out of the sky and the Nazi Germany like piles of bodies on the ground.

I have NO problem with hunting. And I usually get crapped on by animal lovers for my "it's just an animal" attitude. But seriously? 15000 birds in a day? He couldn't have just shot randomly or at clays for 14 hours to show how fast and durable the guns are?
    That was just nuts. :noway:

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I think my shoulder would have dislocated after the first 9,000 rounds... seriously though, this reminds me of the days when carrier pigeons covered the sky and were offered on a bounty by the gov't... now they're extinct.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Awesome

Guy was hitting 18 birds a minutes!!

First of all
    Incredible shooting
    16K shells out of 3 shotguns, very impressive

and oh yeah for you cry babies read the story
    http://www.winchesterguns.com/library/articles/detail.asp?id=305

Watch Scott Breeze, AKA the "Dovenator" on his latest record breaking dove shoot in Argentina.
    Dovenator_Eared_Dove_pub_domain.JPG
    Be sure to watch this video as well as the interview with Scott Breeze in the second video below. Scott explains the predicament in Argentina with the overpopulation of doves. They are a considerable problem for the farmers and agriculture in general in Argentina. The large numbers are due in large part to the doves' reliance on farm crops. The shooting of doves is encouraged and they are considered a pest, numbering in the millions and millions. It is estimated that in the Cordoba region alone, there are 30,000,000 doves -- eating significantly more than 20% of the local crop production. There are two key differences between doves in the U.S. (mourning doves) and the golden eared dove: Golden eared doves reproduce between five and six times per year while laying three to five eggs each time they nest. Due to climate, they also are non-migratory, and spend their lives often within just a few miles of where they hatched. All this contributes to the huge dove population problem.
    All the doves shot by Scott, and by the many other hunters who go to Argentina, are utilized as best as possible. Some are eaten by the hunters, the rest are distributed to the local farmers and others who also eat them or utilize them for livestock feed (and then eat the livestock later). As explained by Scott in the second video, currently there is no danger of overhunting the Argentina doves. Although they present a problem for many farmers, they are watched and studied closely since they are also an importent resource for the outfitters and lodges specializing in dove hunting.
    Scott Breeze proves the extreme speed and durability of the 20 gauge Super X3.Watch Scott Breeze, AKA the "Dovenator" on his latest record breaking dove shoot in Argentina.

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    Awesome

Guy was hitting 18 birds a minutes!!

First of all
    Incredible shooting
    16K shells out of 3 shotguns, very impressive

and oh yeah for you cry babies read the story
    See the "Dovenator" break the record with the Super X3 20 gauge. - Winchester Repeating Arms Article

Watch Scott Breeze, AKA the "Dovenator" on his latest record breaking dove shoot in Argentina.
    Dovenator_Eared_Dove_pub_domain.JPG
    Be sure to watch this video as well as the interview with Scott Breeze in the second video below. Scott explains the predicament in Argentina with the overpopulation of doves. They are a considerable problem for the farmers and agriculture in general in Argentina. The large numbers are due in large part to the doves' reliance on farm crops. The shooting of doves is encouraged and they are considered a pest, numbering in the millions and millions. It is estimated that in the Cordoba region alone, there are 30,000,000 doves -- eating significantly more than 20% of the local crop production. There are two key differences between doves in the U.S. (mourning doves) and the golden eared dove: Golden eared doves reproduce between five and six times per year while laying three to five eggs each time they nest. Due to climate, they also are non-migratory, and spend their lives often within just a few miles of where they hatched. All this contributes to the huge dove population problem.
    All the doves shot by Scott, and by the many other hunters who go to Argentina, are utilized as best as possible. Some are eaten by the hunters, the rest are distributed to the local farmers and others who also eat them or utilize them for livestock feed (and then eat the livestock later). As explained by Scott in the second video, currently there is no danger of overhunting the Argentina doves. Although they present a problem for many farmers, they are watched and studied closely since they are also an importent resource for the outfitters and lodges specializing in dove hunting.
    Scott Breeze proves the extreme speed and durability of the 20 gauge Super X3.Watch Scott Breeze, AKA the "Dovenator" on his latest record breaking dove shoot in Argentina.

Well that 100% changes my stance. Thanks.

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    Clearly, I screwed up in not getting the background info linked. Thank you to jakemartens for picking up where I fell down.

The stamina of Mr. Breeze and the punishment the guns absorbed caught my eye, on top the agricultural and economic benefits of the activity.

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Gotta be agianst it. How many of the birds were not killed outright and left to die.
    As gun owners pretty much all of us supporting hunting isnt the issue. Its the clean kill and making sure of it for me.
    Then again using poison against rats can be thrown up depending on where you live. Personaly I understand the pest control issue but its not for me.

IF they could get liberals to fly by like that I am ALL IN. :rockwoot:

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yup.

Most impressive was his hit ratio of 91% when the national average is 1 dove for every 7 rounds or about 14%. I conisder it a good day if I average 33% or better, 15 doves with 45 rounds.

I was thinking the same thing. Thats incredible accuracy for dove hunting! I've limited out in under a box (15 doves in 25 shots) a few times, but I usually need to crack open the 2nd box to make it happen.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Gotta be agianst it. How many of the birds were not killed outright and left to die.
    As gun owners pretty much all of us supporting hunting isnt the issue. Its the clean kill and making sure of it for me.
    Then again using poison against rats can be thrown up depending on where you live. Personaly I understand the pest control issue but its not for me.

IF they could get liberals to fly by like that I am ALL IN. :rockwoot:

JHC on a bicycle Kent, are you a closet member of PETA? Have you ever been birdhunting? You don't always get a clean kill. It's the nature of the beast. And they are birds, descended from dinosaurs; it's not like they are going extinct.
    Sitting on a hot dove corner is just about as much fun as you can have with a shotgun. 3gun and purple Saigas not withstanding....:D

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    JHC on a bicycle Kent, are you a closet member of PETA? Have you ever been birdhunting? You don't always get a clean kill. It's the nature of the beast. And they are birds, descended from dinosaurs; it's not like they are going extinct.
    Sitting on a hot dove corner is just about as much fun as you can have with a shotgun. 3gun and purple Saigas not withstanding....:D

Sure Bill I have been bird hunting. I was just always taught and it was reinforced to respect what you are hunting. The clean kill is what you want not to cripple.
    Out of all of the birds he shot at that spot how many were crippled instead of killed outright?
    When most of us hunt or shoot prarie dogs or pigs we find out almost immediatly that the animal is dispatched or we finish the job.

If someone like do shoot thousands like that its up to them but to me it doesnt portray a sense of sportsmanship.

It is just my opinion and that is something I will stand by.

We are all descended from something.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    No one wants to cripple and yes, I love to see a dove fold up in the air and drop like a rock. But it doesn's always happen. Pattern density, flight pattern, lots things can go wrong. What's the alternative, to stop shooting them?

Hogs and prairie dogs are a little big different. You barely have to touch a prairie dog with a 3800 fps 40 gr .223 to have them blow apart.
    Hogs are usually standing still and sighted down on with a scope.
    Neither of them fly or are hunted with birdshot. I've had to chase down my share of wingshot pheasants. Lost some of them too. Doesn't mean I'm not going to hunt pheasants.

You're still upset I put dog targets in an IDPA COF 10 years ago, aren't you...lol

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    16575 shots=(roughly) 67 cases of 20 gauge shells.

at $53 per case that = $3551 in ammo cost alone.

My shoulder couldn't take that pounding even if it is "only" a 20 gauge shotgun

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    That was alot of shooting! I don't think my shoulder could have taken all that punishment. As far as the claims of his gun being the "fastest gun", not sure I believe that. At his rate of fire, I'm sure that a reputable semi-auto or even a good pump shotgun (if the guy knows what he is doing) could keep up. I was impressed at his accuracy though. And the fact that the doves were distributed to locals for food makes me feel a whole lot better about killing 15,000 doves. I'm of the impression that if you hunt something, you ought to make good use of it if at all possible. (unless you are hunting varmints or nuisance animals)

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    No one wants to cripple and yes, I love to see a dove fold up in the air and drop like a rock. But it doesn's always happen. Pattern density, flight pattern, lots things can go wrong. What's the alternative, to stop shooting them?

Hogs and prairie dogs are a little big different. You barely have to touch a prairie dog with a 3800 fps 40 gr .223 to have them blow apart.
    Hogs are usually standing still and sighted down on with a scope.
    Neither of them fly or are hunted with birdshot. I've had to chase down my share of wingshot pheasants. Lost some of them too. Doesn't mean I'm not going to hunt pheasants.

You're still upset I put dog targets in an IDPA COF 10 years ago, aren't you...lol

All to true about birds. I know from hunting quail as a kid. But you find and dispatch the ones that are winged. Same thing when I did some crow hunting years ago. Like I said I have hunted and hope everyone who does, does so responsibly.

And yes, in my opinion most dogs are better than most people. They dont lie cheat steal or **** you over.

Id still like to go hog hunting at some point but it would have to be ground into sausage or something. Maybe donated to the local food bank like Teddy does.

Top Bottom