• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Awful. Sat noon to 5 on public we were last drawn….. 0 birds from noon to 3 then a few random fast guys came in 3-4 then 4-5 THEY all start coming in and I can’t hit the broadside of a barn. Kids allergies were a mess in the ragweed…… all that said great memories made ! One dove in the fridge hoping to add some more tomorrow.

jeepinleonard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2018
    US
    Public land noon to 5. Shot 5 birds lost 3. I HATE steel shot. Can't wait to go hit the private land with some good old lead.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I got draw #11 this year for 01 Sep 23 at JP. First year in 7 years I have been drawn to hunt public. Couldn't go though. Mother-in-law had major surgery in Indy. Like life or death. Well may next year for the draw?

On another note. Interesting story about the Dove draw hunt this year at Winamac FWA. Last week I was talking to the Winamac FWA office and asked them why they did not offer a public draw hunt this year for Dove? They indicated to me that it was because the deer ate all the sunflower seed/sprouts when they came up in the spring. They said one can still hunt (open hunt), but no sunflowers are there? FWIW just passing this along. :dunno:

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    Awful. Sat noon to 5 on public we were last drawn….. 0 birds from noon to 3 then a few random fast guys came in 3-4 then 4-5 THEY all start coming in and I can’t hit the broadside of a barn. Kids allergies were a mess in the ragweed…… all that said great memories made ! One dove in the fridge hoping to add some more tomorrow.
    Sorry to hear that. What part of the state are you in? My oldest and I are going to set on the patio again tomorrow morning. Hope to get out early and get him his first dove. I picked up those flickers and 2 mojo voodoos to hopefully draw more in and give him a little more time get set to shoot.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Sorry to hear that. What part of the state are you in? My oldest and I are going to set on the patio again tomorrow morning. Hope to get out early and get him his first dove. I picked up those flickers and 2 mojo voodoos to hopefully draw more in and give him a little more time get set to shoot.
    NWI

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Worked on kids car today.
    Dunno if I should hit northern F&W area tomorrow or not.
    Heard shooting west of my house, not much but a decent volley early, then like 3 from one gun....later, 3 more.
    Somebody emptying gun on a solo? Proly out yonder too LOL

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Ive done OK in mornings but after 30 yrs of this stuff, 4 to 6 pm is best.
    State or private ground.
    Learned long ago to avoid the scorching mid day hrs for so few birds.
    Noon to 2 pm............forget it.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    So tomorrow I am going to head into the draw….. get a spot and then LEAVE come back later in the day. Sitting out there midday ..... it’s fine opening day I GUESS ? Just because of the excitement but otherwise it is usually a bust in this heat atleast.

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    Ive done OK in mornings but after 30 yrs of this stuff, 4 to 6 pm is best.
    State or private ground.
    Learned long ago to avoid the scorching mid day hrs for so few birds.
    Noon to 2 pm............forget it.
    We usually hunt from sunrise to 10-11am depending on the birds. Then back out around 5 if we can. It seems like 8-9:30am is the best time for us.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    The two tiny terrorists came up for a visit, so I never made it out.

If I'd have been carrying a shotgun on one of the countless gator rides I took them on, I could have bagged my limit near my mom's bird feeder in her front yard. :D

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    Well today was a bust. I hunted from sunrise till 11 and only saw 2 doves. They were over the neighbors property so no shots. Tonight the 5 or 6 were flying very high and north and south. That is very odd for my house. Usually 98% fly east and west.

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    I have been going out here and there since the opener. Hit Winamac FWA opening weekend. They put Zero effort into the hunt. Very disappointed. The next weekend we went to Jasper Pulaski and have gone there since that weekend. I definitely notice less birds flying as the season progresses. I can't tell if they figured out where the dove fields are and avoid them? Started migrating? Have been killed? Is it worth continuing to chase them? Thanks!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    There's good shooting on the opener..........everybody is out and keeps em moving from field to field.

A crap field w no shooters may still draw birds late season, and hunters elsewhere may never know.

The doves land there and not leave.

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    Has anyone had a good success? It seems like numbers are way low in Hancock county. My buddy hunted Iowa twice now on his family farm and said the Dove have not migrated yet. He said they usually limit out but this year it has been dead.

Top Bottom