• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seamusalaska

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    East Central IN
    After this past hot July, my wife suggested that I might want to shave off my beard. Oh my gosh! I've entered a new universe! I've discovered words like 'Merkur', 'Parker', 'Feather', badger brushes, etc. She also says that I look 20 years younger (had a white beard). Dang! And it's fun! Now I need to save up for a Gillette 'Fatboy' adjustable. I know there are other INGO members that are way ahead of me. :rockwoot:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Be a "real" man & get a straight razor. ;)

You can start off with a low cost disposable one while you learn.
    shavetteSilver2.jpg

& then once you get the hang of it get the real thing.
    Straight Razors

It will outlast you, the shave will be closer than anything else you have tried.
    Only draw back is you can't do a quick 5 min. shave & you have to be careful. :(

Here is some more reading for you:
    http://artofmanliness.com/2009/10/06/how-to-straight-razor-shave/

Last edited:

Loar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    The Badger and Blade is a great forum for safety and straight razors. I started with the Merkur 34c and then added the slant bar (which chewed me up) and now the Mergress.

It definitely adds a little something to the morning routine.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    After a decade or so I just went back to wet shaving. If you shave and use cartridges stop wasting money. You can get a years worth of DE blades for under $20.

Here is what I got, an Edwin Jagger DB89, and a Tweezerman Boar Brush.
    DE89Lbl.jpg

The chrome job is fantastic.

I am still testing to find the blades that work the best for me.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    if I don't have the time to do a straight shave, I keep a 1953 (older than my dad!) DE Gillette on standby. good for travelling too, cuz you can take the razor on the plane, buy a pack of blades where you land and throw them away if you can't bring them back... you've only spent $2...

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    No straight shaving for me, I am still learning here how to do the DE thing without bleeding out. Getting the corners of my mouth and under the chin is going to take some practice to get right.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    salior, don't try to get anything with the corner of the blade. Push the corners of your mouth out with your tongue so that you can get the wiskers with the middle part of the blade. A lot less nicks that way. Good Luck

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the tip. I am using Poraso soap, and some Nutregena cream. Think I like the Poraso better.

Old school Aqua Velva feels great after, but makes you smell like Grandpa.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    anyplace near Indy to purchase this kind of thing?

Reds Classic Barber Shop downtown Indy sells DE, straight razors and all
    accessories if you want to see and touch before you buy.

I recently started using my Dad's old DE. It's the first razor I used back in the mid 70s before I decided cartridges were for me. He's been gone five years now and it's kind of a sentimental thing, though I haven't gone to using the Old Spice aftershave.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Necroposting this.

No Shave November is coming to a close, and I'm in the mood to change things up.

So, today, I stopped and bought a couple items from Sally Beauty Supply, of all places, in Plainfield...
    SBS-676100

&
    SBS-676110

$12.50 out the door, so it's a cheap experiment.

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    I've pretty much always used a double edged safety razor, with just a couple of forays into the twin/triple blade world. I have used a mug and brush, and still do on when I want a really good, close shave; however, I find that the lazy convenience of a can of Barbasol is alright for my daily shave. For a good aftershave that doesn't smell bad pick up some Jovan Musk for Men or a bottle of Bay Rhum. I use my grandfather's old Gillette double edge, we are both over 60 now:
    10876.1L.jpg

You might want to give this a read also: Learn How to Shave Like Your Grandpa | The Art of Manliness

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Also look into Shave Secret Shave Secret: The Best Shave Ever Natural Oils, 18.75 mL: Shaving : Walmart.com

Doesn't work very well with the multi blade cartridge razors (At least not with the water pressure out of MY bathroom sink, anyway)

Smells good - a bit more cleanup time required.

I'll stick with my expensive cartridge razors. I should buy stock in Gillette...

-J-
    Heh, last night at Kroger, I checked blades for my Mach3, better than $3 per blade. Admittedly, I thought I'd cut my upper lip off Saturday morning and there's still a pretty big mark from it, but otherwise, I managed quite well. 2nd swipe of the blade and my only thought was MEDIC!! :n00b:

Anyway, I'm not going to entirely pitch my good razor, especially since I have about a years worth of blades. But, having the safety razor (and the skill to use it) might prove worthwhile in the long term. I'm thinking I can get a month or so out of each blade, that makes 1 of my Mach3 blades = 10 months of safety blades.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    The heck with the old stuff, being 50 I'm beyond using the old safety razor. I got tired of nicking my face up back in the day.

For years I used the Gillette Fusion, but now I'm a Gillette Fusion ProGlide user.

I can get a whole month of use out of the ProGlide blades (longer if I really wanted to) and I get a super close shave. No other blade I have ever used lasted longer than 10 days.

Top Bottom