Don't say I didn't warn you about this company!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Don’t say I didn’t warn you…

For anyone looking to save a few extra pennies on furniture, I recommend you spend that extra money and go with a company other than American Freight. I for one wish I would have read the reviews on this company long before I decided to purchase my bedroom set.

We were in the market for a bedroom set (Headboard, Footboard, Rails, 2-Nightstands, Man’s Dresser, and Woman’s Chester Drawers / Mirror) valued at over $1000.00. We went to American Freight just south of Fishers, right there off of I-69. We walked in and were immediately greeted by the salesman. We already had a set of furniture in mind that was in the $800 range, but was talked into a set a tad more expensive but it was real wood. We set up a payment plan and agreed to pay a minimum of $10/week until it was paid off. At the time we weren’t in a rush to get the furniture right away but we did pay roughly $30/week. Finally tax time came around and we paid the furniture off completely.

When I paid off the furniture, I planned on picking it up from the warehouse myself. I spoke to Eric (the manger) who said my furniture would arrive in less than two weeks. We spent those two weeks deciding what to do with our old bedroom furniture and made arrangements to move it into storage. A few days after we paid off the furniture we decided it would be better to have them deliver it rather than making arrangements to borrow a truck to move everything. I contacted American Freight and agreed to a $75 delivery fee. The guy said my furniture was still inbound and would be there the following week.

Exactly two weeks from the date I made the final payment I contacted American Freight to check on the status as I never heard anything from them. They said, “Not all of your furniture arrived on the truck and we are unsure when it will get here.” OK, I’ll wait a bit longer. A week later I called again because I have still not heard anything and they said, “Your furniture is on backorder, we don’t know when it will be in but I would guess in another 2 weeks.” OK, fine. According to American Freight’s “Terms and Conditions” it states to expect up to 4 weeks for delivery once the final payment was made.

Exactly one month (4 weeks) from the time it was paid off, I still have not heard a single thing from American Freight. I contacted them and they said, “Your furniture is still not in, we don’t know when it will be here.” At this point I was getting frustrated. I understand manufacturers may be behind but not receiving a single phone call from American Freight to tell me this is what got me upset. I was heated and submitted a Better Business Bureau complaint on them.

A few days later I got this response:
    [the furniture is on backorder from the manufactory. we do not have a date because they are out of it. the customer can either wait on it to come in, which we dont know a date, come into the store to reselect even if they pick out something better we will work out a price, or get a refund

Jessie Shaum, Regional Manager
    740 833 5897]

I called American Freight and asked to speak to the manager. The woman on the other end said, “Sorry the manager was helping another customer, can I help you with something?” I told her this same story and she said, “Well call back tomorrow afternoon and speak to the manager, he should be in then.” Wait, didn’t she just tell me the manager was helping a customer? The next day I called and again the woman said, “The manager was helping another customer.” I told her to have him call me as soon as he was finished. Six hours go by and I received no phone call.

That following Sunday, I went to American Freight and asked to speak to Eric who was standing around with a few other employees talking. I said, “Hey I have been trying to get ahold of you for a week now and you won’t return my phone call. Where is my furniture I ordered?” He looked up my account and said it was on backorder and probably won’t be in for another 3-5 weeks. I told him I was told by the regional manager that I could pick out another set of furniture even if it was more expensive and they would work out a deal. Eric told me all of their furniture was on backorder and would not arrive for at least 3-5 weeks. Frustrated, we were about to leave when he said a couple pieces would be coming in on a truck the following day if we wanted to select one of those instead.

Just to finally end this ordeal we decided on a set that was supposed to come in the following day and it was the same price we paid for the other furniture. We set up a delivery time between 5p and 8p on Monday (the day of all that snow). That Monday I took off work to move everything out of the bedroom and carpet cleaned the floors. At 7:45pm the delivery guys showed up and put everything (all boxed up) in the living room.

We began unboxing everything piece by piece and then came to the chester drawers. We opened the box to find a 6" hole on the bottom side of the chester drawers. Looking at the box itself, there was no damage meaning the chester drawers were damaged prior to it being boxed in my opinion. In order to get it replaced we would have to pay $50 to ship it back to the company and another $50 to have our new chester drawers shipped back to us since the moving company was an outside company, not owned or operated by American Freight. Since the hole was on the bottom we decided to live with it and eventually if I felt the need to repair it I could do it myself since it was that stapled on flimsy board.

We then got to the mirror that attached to the chester drawers and what do you know a crack. The frame along one side of the mirror was cracked on both sides. Upset, I called American Freight the next day to inform them of the damaged pieces and told them we would live with the chester drawers but the mirror needed to be replaced. I received no apology once so ever and was told to bring the mirror in the next day to get a replacement. I showed up the next day and was handed a new mirror that I inspected before ever leaving American Freight. Again, no apology.

I responded to my Better Business Bureau complaint by saying I rejected their response because I was unsatisfied with the outcome.

1. We didn’t receive the original furniture we ordered.
    2. There were only 4 bedroom sets we could choose from and only one was close enough to our price range.
    3. The furniture was damaged on delivery.
    4. We were going to be charged two delivery fees to get the chester drawers replaced.
    5. We received no apology for any of the damaged pieces.
    6. This company lacks in customer service and communication.
    So please, do not shop at this company and pass this on to anyone you know looking to purchase furniture. Simply type in American Freight Reviews into GOOGLE and you will see a ton of negative reviews. Again, don’t say I didn’t warn you!

...and sorry for the long rant! :D

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Our next step is to replace our living room. Will definetely look into this! Thanks.

My wife and her sister buy from an old family friend in Elwood at a place called Updegraff Furniture. It's not a fancy place, but he always has good prices and good service. It's worth checking out, and you'll be supporting a small business owner.

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    I personally wouldnt purchase from them to begin with, very poor quality in my opinion. Thanks for the heads up though. I have a few friends buying homes right now so ill spread the word before they fall victim to the American Freight trap.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I asked about a refund and was told to wait 2-4 weeks for a check to be sent from corporate....

:facepalm: on me as I forgot you both this via payments.
    I learned my lesson early on in life to make big purchases via credit card even if I have the cash. Cause its so much easier to complain to the CC and have those dogs get your money back faster than you trying. :D

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    I had a problem with them once too.. Mrs SaintsnSinners and myself went in for one of their $150 dollar any mattress specials (Ad listed all sizes from twin to king), went in looking for a king size mattress, found a nice pillow top we fell inlove with (back ordered), found another we liked went to puchase and was told it was 300 dollars... Way different than the $150 ad we had with us. Since its a king size and made of 2 smaller mattresses its twice as much.

Thats not what the ad said....

The ad clearly stated $150 all sizes twin to king

Top Bottom