• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigo334

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Greenfield
    So my family got a new dog around Christmas, and I plan on taking her to obedience classes in the near future. I am here asking for your suggestions on trainer in the Indianapolis area.

A little about our puppy

Breed: Rottweiler
    Sex: Female
    temperament: good
    Biggest problems: She likes to bite clothing and nibble feet for attention.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    We have really had great results with First Friends in Fishers. I is right off of 126th and 37. We did the intermediate class, and now we have the yearly advanced class membership. We go once a week and it is really enjoyable. This is our third dog, and by far the most enjoyable due to the training. It is well worth the time and money.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    We have a black lab that was kicked out of a couple of classes because she's dumber than a sack of hammers, but since then I've heard good things about First Friends. They may have been able to do something with her.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    X3 on ff!

Bruce and his staff are the best.
    If you want clicker training and "positive reinforcement", you may need to go elsewhere. He uses prong training collars and some just can't grasp the fact that those collars cannot choke your dog when properly fit to the animal.

My money says they will start you in puppy class, and then beginner obedience. Both are great!

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    X3 on ff!

Bruce and his staff are the best.
    If you want clicker training and "positive reinforcement", you may need to go elsewhere. He uses prong training collars and some just can't grasp the fact that those collars cannot choke your dog when properly fit to the animal.

My money says they will start you in puppy class, and then beginner obedience. Both are great!

Prong collars...make sure you understand what you are getting into before you decide to use one.

A prong collar has some advantages over a simple "choker", as it cannot close beyond a certain point, but these collars carry with them a certain amount of controversy in the dog training community. A prong collar is a form of negative reinforcement, and you have to be VERY careful how you apply that type of action...especially with dogs of a certain personality type. All dogs are different...and all handlers are different. The key to any type of training (positive or negative) is patience and consistency.

IF MISUSED...with some very reactive breeds (like doberman, german shepherds, and rotties) they can reinforce aggressive behaviors...especially if the owner isn't diligent and disciplined in their training routines.

If you are interested in positive-only training for your animal, check out Tails-up, Paws Down on the south side of Indy. They can show you what positive training can do for you and your dog...IF you are willing to put in the time and effort.

bigo334

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Greenfield
    We use a prong collar while she is on her leash, I don't yank on it or anything but if she pulls to hard she feels it and stops pulling. I would like to be able to tell her to sit and stay while people come in the house and to listen to me, my wife or my son when other people are around with out being distracted.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    Bark Tudor in Broadripple has done well for us.

They offer a puppy class where you drop them off in the AM and pick them up in the PM for 5 straight days. They teach them the basics of their name, sit, stay, down, to sit for attention, and a handful of other helpful things. Their price is pretty reasonable, and the dog will come home super tired every day for that week (which is a great benefit on it's own).

bigo334

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Greenfield
    Bark Tudor won't work for me, I don't go to Broad Ripple at all ever.

A friend of mine suggested Durham Working Dogs of Indiana, but I can't find any reviews on them.

A lot of places classes are in the evening and I work seconds, that the trouble I'm finding right now.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Bark Tudor won't work for me, I don't go to Broad Ripple at all ever.

A friend of mine suggested Durham Working Dogs of Indiana, but I can't find any reviews on them.

A lot of places classes are in the evening and I work seconds, that the trouble I'm finding right now.

have you tried training him yourself, you may be able to get some good training advice from members here.

bigo334

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Greenfield
    I have and she did well, at one time she would come, sit, stay and lay down 75% of the time when first told to. But now she will barely look at you when called to come. Very rarely will she lay down or stay when told. She will sit 2nd or 3rd time instructed. she like to jump on people when they enter the house. If my son runs down the hallway she goes after and nips at him in a playful manner, but she keeps getting skin or she puts holes in his clothes. Leash walking isn't to bad with or with out the prong collar.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    If you don't mind traveling, I've got a great guy I can hook you up with. He works with the owners (and dogs) one on one. No big classes or other dogs to deal with.
    he is in Greenwood.
    Most training should involve the owners. The owners, not someone else, should train the dog.

Top Bottom