• ...and so much more!
  • edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Stuff like this is why when I go on walks or jogs, I always have a handgun with me.
    Even in Fishers, I see countless people with dogs on those "50 foot leashes" that have no control over the dog, and the dog by it's actions thinks it's the dominant one.
    I'm surprised there aren't more dog bites than I hear about.
    Maybe they aren't reporting them

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Nope. The victim was in the process of being physically attacked. The victim was not trespassing on private property and killed a dog that was running towards him or killed a dog that was allegedly threatening him while the dog was cornered in a field.

Apples...Oranges

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    MY neighbors brother had a pitbull. My neighbor was head of our counties swat team. The pitbull attacked his saint bernard. It took 15 rounds of 9mm before the pitbull finally stopped. The pitbull was losing so much blood it wasn't even funny. I was covered in dogs blood, my neighbor, his wife. The dog just wouldn't stop until it was physically dead. I would not hesitate a milisecond to shoot a any breed of dog that was attacking me or a random stranger. We have to remember, dogs are wild by nature and as soon as they taste blood for the first time, or have a hint of that wild instinct inside of them, (escpecially true to certain breedS) they will not stop at nothing.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Stuff like this is why when I go on walks or jogs, I always have a handgun with me.
    Even in Fishers, I see countless people with dogs on those "50 foot leashes" that have no control over the dog, and the dog by it's actions thinks it's the dominant one.
    I'm surprised there aren't more dog bites than I hear about.
    Maybe they aren't reporting them
    I walk my sisters yorkshire terrier on a 50 foot leash, does that make you nervous?

Speaking of that my sister really is mad at me because I thought her yorkie to catch mice in the house, and then she eats them.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    MY neighbors brother had a pitbull. My neighbor was head of our counties swat team. The pitbull attacked his saint bernard. It took 15 rounds of 9mm before the pitbull finally stopped. The pitbull was losing so much blood it wasn't even funny. I was covered in dogs blood, my neighbor, his wife. The dog just wouldn't stop until it was physically dead. I would not hesitate a milisecond to shoot a any breed of dog that was attacking me or a random stranger. We have to remember, dogs are wild by nature and as soon as they taste blood for the first time, or have a hint of that wild instinct inside of them, (escpecially true to certain breedS) they will not stop at nothing.

wait next you'll tell me that they all have locking jaws and attack humans without justification. My grandpa raised German Shepards and rabbits for pelts and when he cleaned the pelts guess who got to eat the innards. They definitely had the taste of blood several times over and it didn't turn them into killers. Please tell me part of your post was meant to be purple.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Did anyone read the comments on the above news link? Some interesting family dynamics going on in that town! Anyway...... I have a Welsh Corgi and I always have her on a leash when we go for walks. Most ppl in my neighborhood have dogs and use leashes when they walk. There has been a couple of times when strays have run up to my dog but luckily nothing bad has happened so far and I hope it never does. I'm always armed none the less and I hope I will never have to shoot a dog. The owners should be held responsible for their dogs actions.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    Nope. The victim was in the process of being physically attacked. The victim was not trespassing on private property and killed a dog that was running towards him or killed a dog that was allegedly threatening him while the dog was cornered in a field.

Apples...Oranges

:yesway: yes i agree.. the fella in this story is a hero, the other fella in last weeks story gets a zero.......:noway:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I walk my sisters yorkshire terrier on a 50 foot leash, does that make you nervous?

Speaking of that my sister really is mad at me because I thought her yorkie to catch mice in the house, and then she eats them.

Oh yea, I'm scared to death...! LOL

You know what I mean, I'm talking about dogs that are capable of causing real damage in the hands of an owner that's afraid of their own dog.

A BAD combination in a public setting.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    wait next you'll tell me that they all have locking jaws and attack humans without justification. My grandpa raised German Shepards and rabbits for pelts and when he cleaned the pelts guess who got to eat the innards. They definitely had the taste of blood several times over and it didn't turn them into killers. Please tell me part of your post was meant to be purple.
    Dogs are animals bro. Dogs do not have free will. We do, that is what separates us from the animals. A dog relies only on instinct. I can only think of a couple animals off the top of my head that use free will and their use of free will is very limited to only one aspect life.

The one that sticks out in my mind are dolphins. The only other animal besides humans who have sex for pleasure.

but just remember, animals rely on instinct and instinct alone. They do not have free will to make choices like we do. You may train your dog with the best trainer in the world, but if it's going to turn, it will turn and there would have been nothing you could have done to prevent it.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Dogs are animals bro. Dogs do not have free will. We do, that is what separates us from the animals. A dog relies only on instinct. I can only think of a couple animals off the top of my head that use free will and their use of free will is very limited to only one aspect life.

The one that sticks out in my mind are dolphins. The only other animal besides humans who have sex for pleasure.

but just remember, animals rely on instinct and instinct alone. They do not have free will to make choices like we do. You may train your dog with the best trainer in the world, but if it's going to turn, it will turn and there would have been nothing you could have done to prevent it.

That I suppose is simply your opinion and you have your right to it but I respectfully disagree.. and I did it without insult its that simple kids.

You know what I mean, I'm talking about dogs that are capable of causing real damage in the hands of an owner that's afraid of their own dog.

A BAD combination in a public setting.

There is a big problem with most dogs no matter the breed, an owner that has presented themselves as the alpha in the situation and show fear to their pet. If you don't establish dominance when they are young then you're doomed.

Last edited:

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    i as well respectfully disagree as it's not my opinion but document scientific fact

ok.. you want to go that route... show me scientific fact that all dogs once given the taste of blood turn into unruly beasts.

Show me the duck hunters that have been savagely attacked after their retrievers tasted the blood of their fresh kills their master just laid down with a shotgun, or the hounds they use to run and retrieve fox or coon, or the Irish Wolf Hounds that savagely attacked their masters after they got their first wolf kill. I'm sorry bud but I have seen way too many dogs that get the taste of blood and their predator instincts didn't make them into killings machines.

Coydog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Fort Greenwood
    Dogs are people too. The dog people have personalities just like some human people do. My dog caught a squirrel in the back yard that was pestering him and tore it to pieces but he didn't become a squirrel killer. He would run beside me off leash and squirrels would sit next to the sidewalk while we passed. One panicked and ran underneath him between his legs to get to its tree and he only looked at it and never broke stride.

My wife and I have been attacked by dogs many times and have used pepper spray to defend ourselves and our dogs. If we had shot all those dogs, we would have effectively shot up the town.

Pit bulls are tougher and more determined than most but they like to breath and see more than they like to die. A large Akita was the most formidable attacker and only relented grudgingly after a face full of pepper.

There was a recent episode on "Nova" that dispelled many erroneous facts about dogs. They were shown to be smarter in many ways than chimpanzees and to have a unique ability among animals to empathize with humans. Lay people know many things that science has yet to prove.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Show me the duck hunters that have been savagely attacked after their retrievers tasted the blood of their fresh kills their master just laid down with a shotgun, or the hounds they use to run and retrieve fox or coon, or the Irish Wolf Hounds that savagely attacked their masters after they got their first wolf kill. I'm sorry bud but I have seen way too many dogs that get the taste of blood and their predator instincts didn't make them into killings machines.

So dead on. :yesway:

My lab-husky mix will kill any raccoon, opossum, squirrel, or rabbit that she can catch (which is a lot). She also comes and whines to an adult when there is a crying child anywhere around in order to lead that adult back to the child. Often, she tries to comfort small kids by snuggling up against them and licking them. She can tell the difference between humans and animals, and she behaves accordingly.

I will agree that every dog is at least a little bit still a wolf; that is, every dog is capable of attacking and even killing under certain circumstances. Lack of training can be one of those circumstances.

The taste for blood can lead a dog to pay more attention to its hunting instincts. But it doesn't always.
    Even in the middle of hunting or playing, when I yell "stop," my dog freezes. Skids to a stop from a dead sprint. Dogs are smarter than most people give them credit for; most people just won't train in a way that dogs can understand.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I know that they do paper targets with dogs, I should train with that once in a while.
    I have nothing against dogs, I guess you can find bad and good dogs just like with human.If im attacked by another human being I may think twice about using deadly force to stop him.But if me or someone else is attacked by a dog I will not think twice before I use deadly force.
    As much as I love dogs I think we have to defend human life first.
    I seen many case of large dogs attacking small children.They can kill them with one bite so there is no time to think.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Bonobo chimps do too. In fact, the females will turn around at the last moment to have their own, um, anatomy stimulated during the act.

although I thoroughly enjoy waiting where is the scientific proof:dunno::popcorn:
    I think you read way too much into his claims. Dogs do operate on instinct rather than conscious rational choice. And dogs still retain some of that wild kill instinct. For some, the taste of blood might be a trigger. Not all dogs will automatically go berserk, but all dogs still possess the programming to revert to the kill mode. The potential is there in almost all of them.

Couple that with the fact that dogs kill for fun not food* and you've got a dangerous mix when placed in the wrong hands. Sure, some breeds are farther removed through breeding from that kill instinct. And some aren't removed much at all. But that instinct is why we here stories of beloved household pets who've never even eaten a fly meet a sad and tragic end because for some reason or another they decided the grandson over for a visit was acceptable target to rip apart. It happens. I think that's the only point that was being made. Not that all dogs WILL do it, but that all dogs COULD do it.

Whatever though.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Bonobo chimps do too. In fact, the females will turn around at the last moment to have their own, um, anatomy stimulated during the act.

I think you read way too much into his claims. Dogs do operate on instinct rather than conscious rational choice. And dogs still retain some of that wild kill instinct. For some, the taste of blood might be a trigger. Not all dogs will automatically go berserk, but all dogs still possess the programming to revert to the kill mode. The potential is there in almost all of them.

Couple that with the fact that dogs kill for fun not food* and you've got a dangerous mix when placed in the wrong hands. Sure, some breeds are farther removed through breeding from that kill instinct. And some aren't removed much at all. But that instinct is why we here stories of beloved household pets who've never even eaten a fly meet a sad and tragic end because for some reason or another they decided the grandson over for a visit was acceptable target to rip apart. It happens. I think that's the only point that was being made. Not that all dogs WILL do it, but that all dogs COULD do it.

Whatever though.
    Your statement has a lot more truth to it than his did which he claimed to be scientific fact:

We have to remember, dogs are wild by nature and as soon as they taste blood for the first time, or have a hint of that wild instinct inside of them, (escpecially true to certain breedS) they will not stop at nothing.

I am sure his next statement would be that I am a horrible parent for having a pitbull, god forbid the fact he has already protected us twice and is only 4 months old.

Top Bottom