Does everyone carry with a round chambered?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    I was tempted to go there, things have been very quiet on that front.
    Things got very quiet because Baldwin stopped flapping his gums about how innocent he is in spite of the fact he was holding the weapon when it decided to go off all on its own. Apparently he figured out or someone told him if he shuts up it'll go away soon enough.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Things got very quiet because Baldwin stopped flapping his gums about how innocent he is in spite of the fact he was holding the weapon when it decided to go off all on its own. Apparently he figured out or someone told him if he shuts up it'll go away soon enough.
    Kind of going with the theory that this is not going to end well for him. And his elitism is not going to make this go away.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Glock 19 or 26, always with one in the pipe, no exceptions. On a very few rare occasions, I've carried a single-action Sheriffs Model in 45LC, with no transfer bar, and it was set on an empty cylinder. But my mental illness passed and I learned to stick with Glock Perfection. (J/K, I also regularly carry an Officer's Model 1911 in .45ACP with one in the pipe.)

reload45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    I carried revolvers for years, always left it on an empty cylinder. Now I’m carrying a shield. I’m gonna assume I’m going to get made fun of here, but I’ve carried without a round chambered. Always kind of hoped/assumed if something was coming I’d see it coming. Then the other day I was working on my daughters car at her apartment complex, and as I’m going to her door this mid sized black dog starts charging. Probly 45-50 lb of mutt. I panic for a minute, saw it was on a lead, ran a few steps, then realized he’d pulled the stake from the ground and was loose. My back hit the wall of the building, it lunges at me, I bashed it in the head with my tool bag, it tries again I hit it twice more and run ten more steps, finally starting to think, realize he thinks he’s just doing his job, but there’s no where else to run and decide if he comes at me again I’m going to shoot it, but there I am, with a pistol that I’d have to jack a round in the chamber while it’s biting me, if it comes to that. Thankfully it backed off, but I’ve been thinking about it ever since.
    Edit.. I carry on my hip in a kydex that covers the bang bang stick. Reading the comments I think it’s just a mental thing I need to get over.
    Know everyone has their own opinion,and I respect a person's choice. I usually carry two .38 spec/5 shot revolvers,all chambers loaded. Handled and shot handguns for yrs. In a sudden situation,anxiety probably increased,so want to pull-point-shoot. Recently bought compact 9mm semi auto pistol,practicing until and confident and skilled in shots at "combat distance." Will have one bullet "up the pipe." Do not want to short stroke while trying to rack slide back. Nothing perfect in this world,but most police and military folks I was around carried their semi auto pistols "hot."

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Funny how some stress snag free sights and oppose the use of a ledge rear sight, they are there for a reason.
    You can even get a doohickey like that ...

TacRack9.jpg

10991121_595285530606411_7228823259426626348_n.jpg

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    ... from competent teachers.

I bet some instructors teach people to carry with an empty chamber.
    Not sure if it's common in the states though.

Some people are taught to rack the slide as part of their draw (Israeli carry).
    Just touching on it. The Israeli carry is so overstated. Yes they train that way but here is why they are an exception and why they do what they do. (from what a former IDF guy Told me)

1 When formed Israel had a smorgasbord or handguns each different. Several were not the safest for loaded chamber carry. And 2 A lot of IDF and etc are required to carry off duty and the close proximity of people in modern Tel Aviv or Jerusalem. You are numbed your agains by people quite frequently. So the concern of getting disarmed is higher than other places and it gives the person a reactionary gap.

Some agree some don’t but they have handled their business ss so there’s that.

But as mentioned here yeah carry one in the chamber and practice several times a year or don’t carry.

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Food for thought. Average gun fight lasts 7 seconds according to the FBI stats. Most decent shooters take 1.5- 2 seconds to draw from concealment and fire their first shot. When life and death is separated be fractions of a second, how much additional time to you want to add so you can carry on an empty chamber and "feel safe"? Same applies for not carrying a 1911 cocked and locked.

Franc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2021
    Fishers, IN
    Exactly how many stories have you heard of gun going off, that didn't involve something explaining it? I've never heard of a gun "just" going off by itself. To my knowledge there is no reason to be concerned about the cocked hammer/striker/spring hanging over a live primer as the gun was designed to do so safely.
    A gun will not go off by itself. However people make mistakes all the time. Some guns are very unforgiving, while some are fairly forgiving. One of my friends no longer carries his 1911, because he found out twice that the safety was off when he took it out of the holster at the end of the day. A 1911 cocked but not locked takes just a touch of the trigger to fire when you grab the gun. A Glock is better but things seem to be able to get to the trigger from time to time. There are tons of YouTube videos of someone holstering a Glock and having an AD. A double action gun seems to have the lowest chance of accidental discharge. It is not zero, but as low as possible.

Top Bottom