Does anyone know the history of gun control laws?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I am afraid you have it inverted. The 1820 ban on concealed carry exempted travelers.
    Dammit, Janet, you're right. Been too long.

From the 1831 statutes (which I believe were the same):
    Sec. 58. That every person, not being a traveller, who shall wear or carry any dirk, pistol, sword in a cane, or other dangerous weapon concealed, shall upon conviction thereof, be fined in any sum not exceeding one hundred dollars.

(Interestingly, sec. 57 makes it a criminal offense for a licensed tavern owner to charge more than his published rates and sec. 59 criminalizes adultery.)

My theory of "otherness" is based on a metric s-ton of research I did back in the day (I think it was for the first SVF appeals).

Peter Potamus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    In the beginning, there was a ruler and a subject. Then the subject invented a gun. Then the ruler passed a law to limit the gun. That's the history of gun laws.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Dammit, Janet, you're right. Been too long.

From the 1831 statutes (which I believe were the same):

(Interestingly, sec. 57 makes it a criminal offense for a licensed tavern owner to charge more than his published rates and sec. 59 criminalizes adultery.)

My theory of "otherness" is based on a metric s-ton of research I did back in the day (I think it was for the first SVF appeals).

This could get interesting, particularly if we take Roy Bean's interpretation of a similar Texas law. He determined that if a man is standing still he is not to be armed, but if he is moving, he is travelling and has a right to defend himself. Classic Bean-style shenanigans having it both ways depending on what he wants at the moment!

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    This could get interesting, particularly if we take Roy Bean's interpretation of a similar Texas law. He determined that if a man is standing still he is not to be armed, but if he is moving, he is travelling and has a right to defend himself. Classic Bean-style shenanigans having it both ways depending on what he wants at the moment!

Judge Bean (speaking to Frank Gass): That's a bad law. I just repealed it.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    It was nothing but racism. The first gun laws in the US were laws prohibiting allowing Indians and Blacks from having guns.

The history of gun control is written on a racist tablet: the slave codes, Reconstruction, Jim Crow, Son of Ham, Sullivan Laws, the Mulford Act, the Gun Control Act of 1968, today's proposals, all pure racism. There is no other explanation.

Law review articles, court opinions, books, inter alia acknowledge this fact.

I agree. Look at the more recent example of the Saturday Night Special restrictions. This was aimed at reducing availability of firearms to poor black communities.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I agree. Look at the more recent example of the Saturday Night Special restrictions. This was aimed at reducing availability of firearms to poor black communities.

Poor whites can afford better guns than poor blacks?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    My favorite easily digestible way to describe the history of gun control in the US
    [...]

Especially love the "anime eyes" part.
    Totally says sit all about the anti-gunners' cowardly, passive-aggressive way to force acquiescence.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I beg to differ that gun controls roots stemmed from racism. With that being said I'm going to have to stand firm on my belief that gun control is and was solely about oppression!

Kirk's right about this...It's never been about guns...It's about who should be allowed to have them..Numerous books have been written on the subject and if you can handle the commie rhetoric "Negro with a gun" is a good place to start......

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

And how much liquor he had that day...:)

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

Not necessarily, but the reasoning for the law was inner city violence among the black populations. The fact that poor whites were restricted as well was just collateral damage, and it's not like gun control proponents really give a flip about them anyway.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana

No, not at all. But a quick look at FBI crime statistics would indicate where the target was. When 18% of the population is responsible for over 90% of the gun related homicides, it's bound to draw attention. I wasn't stating anything regarding the fairness of such a law, just that this was the target.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Not necessarily, but the reasoning for the law was inner city violence among the black populations. The fact that poor whites were restricted as well was just collateral damage, and it's not like gun control proponents really give a flip about them anyway.

No, not at all. But a quick look at FBI crime statistics would indicate where the target was. When 18% of the population is responsible for over 90% of the gun related homicides, it's bound to draw attention. I wasn't stating anything regarding the fairness of such a law, just that this was the target.

For those who don't know, the term we know and hear bandied about once in a while, "Saturday Night Special" is a shortened form of the original term. The original term used to reference a cheaply made and not quite as equally cheaply priced handgun was to call it a "Ni**ertown Saturday Night Special".

That term, of course, fell out of favor a long time ago, and only the latter three words survived to the present day, but the original quoted point is obviously borne out.

Blessings,
    Bill

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Bill, thanks! I did not remember the term having contained a subsequently edited racial element.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Bill, thanks! I did not remember the term having contained a subsequently edited racial element.

There are lots of well know phrases/songs/sayings that were like that, but have been cleaned up for modern usage.... many being nursery rhymes.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    There are lots of well know phrases/songs/sayings that were like that, but have been cleaned up for modern usage.... many being nursery rhymes.

Perhaps this would be good material for a new thread. There are times it seems that you see racism lurking around every corner and behind every bush. It could prove worthwhile to share more about this.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Perhaps this would be good material for a new thread. There are times it seems that you see racism lurking around every corner and behind every bush. It could prove worthwhile to share more about this.

Or we could pick one of the many threads already dealing with racism. But which one?

Eeny meeny miney mo...

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Or we could pick one of the many threads already dealing with racism. But which one?

Eeny meeny miney mo...

I figure it merits a dedicated thread if there are so many of these expressions. For example, I first heard the term 'Saturday night special' when I was 7 or 8 years old with no reference to nouns starting with 'n' and ending in 'r'. It could be useful to catalog them in a single thread for the purpose.

Top Bottom