Does anyone have experience with a UPIN?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • W3s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Several years ago I got fed up of being delayed every time, so I applied for and received a UPIN from the FBI. Well guess what... I still get delayed every time. Dealers say things like "you have a common last name", or "your description matches a criminal". Ideally I'd like to stay off paperwork from here on out, but sometimes there's something you just cant find elsewhere.
    So I am wondering, what are y'alls experiences with the UPIN? Does it actually work for anyone?

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I can confirm having a not common name results in never being delayed once. Like not ever, I get proceed within literal seconds of submission.

The solution? Well. Give your kids unusual names, they will thank you later...
    For yourself? Well there is a provision for a legal name change.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    A upin won’t always bypass the delay, I had a guy with a upin get denied, in his instance he asked for a appeal form, filled it out sent it in and was approved, he was use to it it happened every time he bought a gun.

I was always sent for further review (I called in my own background check) once I told them I’m the person your being further reviewed, she chuckled and approved me (like always) and I asked if I got a upin will it stop my further reviews?, she replied no, someone with your same name lives in your town, so you’ll always get “further reviewed”

FYI I’m white as sour cream, and he’s African American!, how she could tell over the phone…I’ll never know!

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Several years ago I got fed up of being delayed every time, so I applied for and received a UPIN from the FBI. Well guess what... I still get delayed every time. Dealers say things like "you have a common last name", or "your description matches a criminal". Ideally I'd like to stay off paperwork from here on out, but sometimes there's something you just cant find elsewhere.
    So I am wondering, what are y'alls experiences with the UPIN? Does it actually work for anyone?
    I got a UPIN after a denial. Zero record. I have been delayed a few times since, but usually get a proceed. Anything a dealer tells you is just made up, they don't know anything.

Quite honestly, some FFLs make a UPIN a headache. Some want a copy of your letter for their "records". Some just assume your a felon...I don't get it.

W3s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2019
    Indianapolis
    I got a UPIN after a denial. Zero record. I have been delayed a few times since, but usually get a proceed. Anything a dealer tells you is just made up, they don't know anything.

Quite honestly, some FFLs make a UPIN a headache. Some want a copy of your letter for their "records". Some just assume your a felon...I don't get it.
    Yeah I realize the dealer has no idea why people get delayed, and they just make up something to appease you.

Curious about your felon comment... why would someone think you're a felon just because you have a upin? Wouldn't the upin instantly basically say "fbi says I'm not a felon"?

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I had a guy steal my info, get caught stealing a car, went to prison, and got out....using my Name, and SS#...I had a felony on my record, til the local media helped me get it espunged....so, now I use a UPIN every time I but from an FFL...got delayed at Rural King, then they denied me....I work at BPS now, so I'll go through them... What are your questions?...I got answers.....

W3s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2019
    Indianapolis
    I had a guy steal my info, get caught stealing a car, went to prison, and got out....using my Name, and SS#...I had a felony on my record, til the local media helped me get it espunged....so, now I use a UPIN every time I but from an FFL...got delayed at Rural King, then they denied me....I work at BPS now, so I'll go through them... What are your questions?...I got answers.....
    Glad you got that taken care of!
    All I was really looking for, was if a upin actually helped anyone else. It would be nice to know exactly why someone with no record, and a upin, gets either delayed or denied. When a dealer calls in a background check, is it possible to get the reason for a delay? Someone above mentioned that they approved him when he called in his own.
    The ultimate question would be.. "how do I stop getting delays?"

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    So…let me add this story

A lady came in to buy a gun, in her move, she’d misplaced her upin, so she left that line blank, when we ran her, she was delayed, then during the 3 days, Nics called back and changed the delay to a deny.

She came back in with her upin, and wanted us to run it again, the owner of the store handed her a appeal form and suggested she use that and include a copy of her upin form, she didn’t want to wait she wanted it now, I think (this was a few years ago) the owner said he couldn’t do that, that she needed to file the appeal, we would continue to hold the gun till it came back (she’d paid a deposit), I asked what had happened for her to need a upin, I said you dont have to tell me if you don’t want to, she told me her identity had been stolen!

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    And as W3s said NICS doesn’t tell you why people are delayed, when the person asked why he was delayed I’d say, they don’t say, but it could be something as simple as a similar name and birthday as someone else

Like I posted above, I have the same first and last name as another person in my town but we’re different races and I was always sent for further review just because of the same name

SmolderOutdoors

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Westfield
    A unique personal identification number can be applied for and provided on a 4473 to aid NICS in stopping future denials but it won’t do anything to stop a delay response. As others have stated NICS doesn’t provide a reason for delays. They just give “proceed, delay, or deny”

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    I’m lucky enough my first and last name are incredibly rare, so I’m in the door and out again, 30 minutes tops.

I agree with your sentiment of avoiding the paperwork though. I’m a private citizen and it’s none of their business what I may or may not have.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I think that you need to also fill out a VAF Voluntary Appeal Form, which allows them to retain your info after the background check is done.

Have Been Denied a Firearm Multiple Times or Experience Delays – What Should I Do?​

Voluntary Appeal File (VAF)​

Anyone may apply for the VAF, but it is designed for firearm purchasers who believe they are legally allowed to buy firearms, but they have been denied more than once or frequently experience delays in their transactions. Purchasers sometimes find themselves experiencing delays or denials in firearms purchases because of a past misdemeanor charge or because an ineligible person has a similar name.

When you apply for the VAF, FBI personnel will research your case and assign you a Unique Personal Identification Number (UPIN) if you have no firearms prohibitions. For future firearms transactions, you will provide your UPIN for your background check. You will still have to undergo a complete background check to buy a firearm, but the UPIN will help to confirm your identity.

The VAF process can take several months.

You may also apply for the VAF at the same time you submit a firearm-related challenge.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    I think that you need to also fill out a VAF Voluntary Appeal Form, which allows them to retain your info after the background check is done.

Have Been Denied a Firearm Multiple Times or Experience Delays – What Should I Do?​

Voluntary Appeal File (VAF)​

Anyone may apply for the VAF, but it is designed for firearm purchasers who believe they are legally allowed to buy firearms, but they have been denied more than once or frequently experience delays in their transactions. Purchasers sometimes find themselves experiencing delays or denials in firearms purchases because of a past misdemeanor charge or because an ineligible person has a similar name.

When you apply for the VAF, FBI personnel will research your case and assign you a Unique Personal Identification Number (UPIN) if you have no firearms prohibitions. For future firearms transactions, you will provide your UPIN for your background check. You will still have to undergo a complete background check to buy a firearm, but the UPIN will help to confirm your identity.

The VAF process can take several months.

You may also apply for the VAF at the same time you submit a firearm-related challenge.
    If he has the UPIN, he has already completed a VAF.

His frustrations are that he has completed the VAF, received and uses the assigned UPIN, and still receives delays.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Curious about your felon comment... why would someone think you're a felon just because you have a upin? Wouldn't the upin instantly basically say "fbi says I'm not a felon"?
    Because they don't know what a UPIN is and think it is some hack that prior felons are using and/or it gets assigned when you get your felony expunged? I honestly don't know.

I also know I no longer do business with FFLs who charge restocking fees for failed background checks. I have seen signs to the effect: "Its your responsibility to know if you can own a gun"...as if someone with a clean record has never been denied.

W3s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2019
    Indianapolis
    If he has the UPIN, he has already completed a VAF.

His frustrations are that he has completed the VAF, received and uses the assigned UPIN, and still receives delays.
    ^ This.

One would assume that once the FBI has done an extensive background check, using full name, birthdate, social, etc., they would be able to differentiate me from someone with a "similar" description

W3s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Because they don't know what a UPIN is and think it is some hack that prior felons are using and/or it gets assigned when you get your felony expunged? I honestly don't know.

I also know I no longer do business with FFLs who charge restocking fees for failed background checks. I have seen signs to the effect: "Its your responsibility to know if you can own a gun"...as if someone with a clean record has never been denied.
    Wow, I've never been denied, always just delayed... so I've never payed attention to a restocking fee. That's complete BS to charge a fee to "restock", when all they have to do is take your name off a sticker from the box in the stockroom.

Top Bottom