Does anyone else carry with the magazine one short of full?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Nope, no need to. Put dust covers on your Pmags, they put pressure on the top round and push it down, take the pressure off the feed lips. I don't top off the handgun mags either, PIA to keep track of the extra round. Don't have to do a press check to see if it picked up the top round, just drop mag and look.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Similar to MCGrease and AndreasMaximus, I don’t switch the magazine after chambering the round. It’s also helpful if I need to unload for any reason, I can just put the chambered round back into the magazine. If I’m ever in a self-defense situation and need more than 13 rounds, it’s unlikely I’ll survive anyway.

I aim for comfort and consistency in carry, not “cramming every last option”. If it’s comfortable and convenient, I’m more likely to carry. And if it’s the same procedure every time, I’m less likely to make mistakes.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Until I got my Shield + I loaded my 2.0 Shield to capacity + 1. The Shield + is just too hard to seat a fully loaded mag on a closed slide so I just insert a loaded mag, drop the slide and carry on.

I may end up sticking with my 2.0 Shield in the long run. I just haven't warmed up to the + model yet.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I must be the odd man out. I always carry one in the chamber with a full mag and always have a spare mag or 2 on me that are fully loaded as well.
    You are not alone... in carry guns.

I start my AR off with a full mag as well, but I do keep the ones in the pouches one down. This, however, is just to make it easier to seat them should I end up having to do an admin reload. Also, with 30 rounds mags, going 1 short isn't a problem. If I'm in confined quarters like a vehicle, I'll even go to a 20 round mag to keep the package as small as possible, knowing I still have 30 rounders in my pouches. .

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    Until I got my Shield + I loaded my 2.0 Shield to capacity + 1. The Shield + is just too hard to seat a fully loaded mag on a closed slide so I just insert a loaded mag, drop the slide and carry on.

I may end up sticking with my 2.0 Shield in the long run. I just haven't warmed up to the + model yet.
    I loaded and unloaded my mags probably about ten times plus shot it some and the mags loosened up enough to get all the rounds in. Pain in the butt but it worked.

KomradeEli

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2017
    Castleton (NE Indy)
    I do, because my gun will jam sometimes if it’s fully loaded. I don’t know if that’s because I’m mostly shooting cheap crap out of it for target practice and not the nicer carry ammo, or if it’s because my gun sucks. I think it’s the latter though lol. I need to upgrade, and will finally have funds to do it soon thankfully.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    For my AR, yes. I usually load 28 in so they’re easier to seat on a closed bolt. But for my handguns, I top off. Generally speaking, my “pistol is my primary” (EDC), so I want as much on tap as I can get.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I do, because my gun will jam sometimes...
    ...it’s because my gun sucks...

You are on it. :)

Doesn't mean it couldn't be fixed though. If it's a pistol known for reliability, there will be plenty of information online to solve this problem.

While you are delving into it, make sure to check that empty magazines will drop free from your pistol, without assistance.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    As others have written...I load magazine, rack the slide, holster and go. I've also have had a couple firearms drag the slide if round is chambered, and magazine topped. The mag springs can loosen up over time, or not. Regardless of gun model, I like those slides to shoot and go, and not have an issue of FTE, or FTF due to a dragging slide. With 15 rounds in a G19, or Sig 226, with A J frame backup, a spare magazine, you are covered.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I see no reason to. I load full plus one, because most of the time I don't carry a reload.

If the gun can chamber from slide lock on a full magazine, it can certainly cycle the slide on a full magazine.

IMO it is vastly more likely to induce a failure in a semiauto due to poor shooting technique. I've never encountered a pistol that consistently suffered mechanical failure from running a full magazine.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Full+1 for EDC CZ P01. Nobody ever wished for less ammo unless they're on fire or drowning.
    I'm also a heretic in that I drop the +1 in the ejection port and manipulate the external extractor to help it over the rim. (no, I wouldn't with a 1911 or internal extractor)

AR mags minus 1 to seat on a closed bolt. My Tavor's tight.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I did when I carried a Gen 3 Glock 22 as a duty gun. The mag springs were so stiff that it was near impossible to get the 15th round in. Donxt have that issue with G17 or G19 mags or any of my AR mags.

Top Bottom