• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    ive been reading the last few days and contimplating this issue. i would think the accuracy would be small but pressent. what are your thought.

to clarify im not talking about free float tubes, barrels, bolt carrier groups or anything else besides the upper itself.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I think all the magic of accuracy happens in several places in an AR. Priority is the barrel. Next is probably the trigger system. The upper itself is not huge factor as far as which brand is used, but how it is put together is a factor.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I think all the magic of accuracy happens in several places in an AR. Priority is the barrel. Next is probably the trigger system. The upper itself is not huge factor as far as which brand is used, but how it is put together is a factor.

thanks thats pretty much what im thinking just trying to get some more heads on it

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I don't know about the complete upper, but I have a coworker who competes and he just spent the money for a Krieger, and this is his second because it got him sub .5" at 100 yds.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    i'm defininately not an expert in the ar area. but, vette, the way you built your 260 should answer your own question, i cant see just changing from brand x upper to another brand x upper is no guarentee of sucess in achieving accuracy. in rebuttle to my last comment, if brand x says come on in and test any upper in inventory you'd probably come up with something better....daryll

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I don't know about the complete upper, but I have a coworker who competes and he just spent the money for a Krieger, and this is his second because it got him sub .5" at 100 yds.

i have no question that barrels make a huge diffrence. im talking upper alone. kind of like a stock dmps upper vs a lmt upper, vs a dpms that has the face trued

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i'm defininately not an expert in the ar area. but, vette, the way you built your 260 should answer your own question, i cant see just changing from brand x upper to another brand x upper is no guarentee of sucess in achieving accuracy. in rebuttle to my last comment, if brand x says come on in and test any upper in inventory you'd probably come up with something better....daryll

my 260 i spared no expense. alot of things i didn't knkow if they would make a diffrence but i left no room for error. right now im changing out the upper on my favorite ar from a carry handle to a flattop and it kind of got me thinking.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    If it helps that same gentleman is still using his stock upper from a Colt, if he felt it would improve his shooting any he would have replaced it, I am really impressed to the lengths he will go to to get the best out of his gun. So my bet would be no.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I can screw a good barrel with barrel extension in any upper and get as much accuracy as the barrel is capable of.

The upper does not matter. The lower does not matter. Whether the upper and lower are "matched" does not matter.

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    161   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    i think that quality counts in every aspect . tighter tolerances in your uppers dimensions means a better hold on the barrel and threading the barrel nut . quality of the raw material would affect your performance as well . i think that every aspect of the upper is important to accuracy

IndyRon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 1, 2011
    Indianapolis
    My order of importance 1) operator, 2) barrel, 3) trigger, 4) ammunition (unless your shooting absolute garbage), 5) misc (free float rails, etc).

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    No, it does not matter. See my previous.

Lots of folks have fallen for the marketing of the late comers to the AR scene and they seem willing to pay a premium as a result of this marketing and the perception of "quality".

All these companies get their upper and lower receivers from the same source as well as bolts and BCG's. The floating bolt of the AR compensates for small imperfections.

The key to AR accuracy is a good barrel. Nothing else matters.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Unless you are shooting some ridiculously over-length barrel, you are comparing apples to apples. The longer the barrel, the more force will be exerted on the upper due to extra unsupported weight. Wouldn't hurt to have a thicker walled upper.

99.87% of us will never see a difference.
    Oh, and 9 out of 10 people will believe anything with statistics.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Unless you are shooting some ridiculously over-length barrel, you are comparing apples to apples. The longer the barrel, the more force will be exerted on the upper due to extra unsupported weight. Wouldn't hurt to have a thicker walled upper.

99.87% of us will never see a difference.
    Oh, and 9 our of 10 people will believe anything with statistics.

so your saying i would defintally notice a diffrence. (kidding)

i knew i was going with a plain jane upper before posting i just figured it would make a good conversation

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Look for the words, "hand lapped". "Uniform within .001 from end to end". "Air gauged"

Look for a Douglas, Kreiger, Hart, Lilja, Wilson, Schneider. I am sure I left someone out. There really are lots of great barrels on the market. The barrel you buy should come with a barrel extension and a bolt.

Top Bottom