• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sportsman223

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Passing on Doe's
    Well now that i have full-filled one of the stupidest rules out there. Before I shot her I watched about 140 class 8 pointer walk by at 15yds pretty sure I passed him last year and he has grown glad it was me and not the wife. Anyways that won't happen again.
    Anyone else having any luck

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    So urban is an area specific early season for deer reduction, and mandating a doe be taken before one can buck hunt such is "stupid"?

IMHO you don't deserve the privilege of hunting an urban zone with your attitude.

Continuing with the nonsense..........wonder how many "phantom does" have been taken.

sportsman223

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Passing on Doe's
    Just because the state declares deer reduction in a county does not mean that piece of property needs it. The buck to doe ratio is different on all property's some could use it while others not so much. I will only shoot one buck this year I could care less about earning a second buck. That's why the DNR put the doe rule in place the first year there was no doe rule. Deer reduction is deer reduction why should it matter buck or doe it wouldn't if there was a one buck rule for all seasons

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Deer travel. "This piece of property doesn't need a reduction" is just more Waaaaah! about spoiling your fun. Unless the ground you hunt is high fenced to prevent deer travelling in and out, you're part of the rest of the county and your local deer density is gonna depend on quantity of preferred forage. Want more deer? Plant more preferred forage and have a sanctuary on the property no one enters.

Earn a buck makes sense. That buck will still only be one deer next year. That doe has potential to be 3 or even 4 deer next year.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    I don't disagree or agree with the rule but taking a doe has more of an effect than taking a buck. I know that in certain areas of Wisconsin, they use to have a rule(may still be in place) that you had to take a doe and check it in to get a buck tag. In case you did not get a buck the prior year, it would carry over to the following year.

I think it is great that you can earn a second buck but I am thinking of all the meat, two doe and two bucks. That is a good harvest. I also get excited about taking a doe with my bow, almost as much as a buck.

Good luck and let us know if you get that buck you are after.

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    I wish I was closer to to an urban area. Never to early to kill some deer no matter what sex they are.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I don't know the mortality rate of urban deer (or non urban deer).......
    but assuming one takes 5 does in 5 yrs........and each doe would have had one fawn, per yr.......and their fawns having same.
    That one doe would have been 30 more deer in 5 yrs (right or wrong, no twin fawns in the counting, figured some mortality rate should be in there- and the graph/calc easier LOL).
    5 bucks would have been...........5 bucks.

Last edited:

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    No buck sighting, yet just a couple doe's been very nice weather, but your had better be packing a thermacell mosquito's are thick on the evening hunts

How well do the thermacell's work. Do you hang it beside you or lay it under your feet for best results? Just wondering your opinion of one since you use it. Thanks

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I won't turkey hunt without one (in the spring). They make a belt clip thing for the Thermacell.
    I just stick mine in a pocket and when on the ground take it out, lay beside me.
    Dunno if it gives off a deer spooking odor.

sportsman223

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Passing on Doe's
    Thermacell works great it will omit a little smoke while burning, has a slight smell to it but I have never had it alert deer. The belt clip is the way to go I just hang it on my bow hanger above me it they clam a 15ft radius I know they work them skeeters would be tearing me up if its not on

Top Bottom