Do You Prefer To Shoot Indoors Or Outdoors?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    BTW guys 357 SIG, .357MAG, 44MAG and 10MM are great for getting rid of these types!:)::yesway: They usually pack up and go home after a box or so is fired!

I don't see what you hoped to accomplish by this.

Oh, and to stay on topic. I much prefer to shoot outdoors than indoors. It is quieter and the fresh air makes me happy.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    IMHO gun owners have to stick together. We must be open-minded about the other guy's or gal's reason for owning a firearm. If holding a single-shot .22 free pistol unsupported and shooting a bullseye at 50 meters is the main thing in your life, then great. If carrying a small pistol or revolver in your pocket for personal defense is your only reason to own a firearm, then good for you. If you take great pleasure in shooting as many rounds as you can and don't care if you hit anything, then fine by me. If you shoot a rifle from a bench rest that is too heavy to hold in your arms and want to shoot 'em all into one tiny hole, then terriffic. If you almost never shoot, but take great joy in collecting a rare unshootable piece, you are in my fraternity.

I don't go out of my way to allienate another shooter because I don't understand his or her motives for participating in the shooting sports. I may not get it, but he or she is a fellow gun enthusiast and we need to stick together.

True dat.

That is a favorite anti strategy - pick off one segment at a time. Go for the .50 cal shooters first (there aren't too many of them; lots of gun owners don't understand why someone would want one). Then go for the black rifles people. Then suddenly any centerfire rifle with a scope is a "sniper rifle," but hey, if you're a skeet shooter what do you care about some guy's tactical long range shooting? Then handguns - most hunters don't care about handgun owners' rights. Finally, when they come after your target .22, there won't be anyone left to stand up and defend your kind of shooting.

We really need to have the attitude that an attack on any gun owner is an attack on all gun owners.

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    Personally, I don't like indoor ranges, the noise is really painful unless I wear both plugs and muffs. Plus I love being outdoors!

Buckaroo

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Outdoors.

IMG_0084-1.jpg

17547a_1943.jpg

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    shooter@5(4)life said, "I guess that makes me a jerk? So be it, I bet he won't say something like that again to any of you?"

I don't know, I wasn't there. Like I said, the vast majority of competitive target shooters are very much pro-gun and support the NRA and other organizations. They are a helpful and friendly bunch. It sounds like you have a gripe with serious target shooters, as do a couple of others here. Most that I know have a vast array of guns, some for hunting, some for self-defense and some for serious target shooting. There is a very small minority of jerks in competitive target shooting, just like in anything else, but I think you are trying to make it appear that the reverse is true. It is not in my experience. When a serious target shooter has his .22 at a range, he or she is probably trying to see what ammo is best, work out some bugs or trying to train or practice. There should be enough consideration for him or her to get to accomplish his purpose, as well as, you to get yours done. Some might think that someone who is involved in training at a range is aloof or unsociable. That might be the appearance, but it takes some focus to get something out of a training session.

striker1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Michiana
    Outdoor, by a mile. Brass is (mostly) caught on a large tarp next to the bench. I don't like breathing "indoor range" air. It's quieter outside. Shooting outdoors also gives us breaks to walk down the cold range and replace targets.

And, it's free! (I shoot at a relative's)

Last edited:

striker1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Michiana
    I've yet to find an outdoor range that allows CCW drills. I would pay a higher price than I pay and drive farther to shoot at such a range.

Seriously, range owners and shooting clubs, how can a person develop proper CCW skills if the first two things you disallow are holster carry and draw-and-shoot? This is not the 1950's anymore. People really do carry concealed weapons (shock! HORROR!) and if you're not providing a place to develop the needed skills, why are we paying you?.

I think liability might have a bit to do with this. Personally I *do* *not* want to share a range with someone - anyone -- working on draw-and-shoot, rapid-fire, or other "techniques". Period.

There are advanced classes for this, and I believe one has to sign waivers in case you shoot someone or someone shoots you.

You have to think about this in terms of public safety. *You* might be highly skilled. It's the other guy, the unknown, that is the problem.

--
    Ron

Top Bottom