Do you have your Utah Concealed Carry Permit?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    The class I took, the instructor went over where you can and can't carry (they're required to cover Utah, obviously. He covered Indiana as well). Gun terminology, holsters, 4 rules and some escalation of force and things to think about before employing deadly force.

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    The class I took, the instructor went over where you can and can't carry (they're required to cover Utah, obviously. He covered Indiana as well). Gun terminology, holsters, 4 rules and some escalation of force and things to think about before employing deadly force.

^^ This

The intent of the class is to make you familiar with Utah's laws on carrying a handgun.

DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    I'm headed to a Utah class tomorrow....tired of avoiding Ohio...lol...especially since I only live 2 minutes away from the border.

DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    Besides fitting the requirement for the permit, what is actually taught in the class?
    It's all common sense BS...imho. I just went through the class a few weeks ago. Nothing really to it. The only purpose it serves is to jump through the required hoops.....that is all.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I took the Utah class last June taught by Brent from Big Daddy's. It was a fun class. I've only been to Ohio once since I got it but I was able to legally carry in Ohio and that's what really matters to me.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    What states,other than Ohio,do you gain recipricocity[?] in buy getting the Utah permit over the Indiana permit?

Nonresident permits don't allow Indiana residents to carry legally in Indiana. If you live here, you need the Indiana license. The non-resident Utah permit does allow you to carry in more states than the Indiana license alone. You can see who honors which other states licenses/permits here:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Florida is pretty good. It's expensive though, compared to Utah. One benefit is that Florida has more wide-ranging activities that qualify as training, where with Utah you have to take a specific class. I went with Utah because I have family and friends in Washington and Minnesota and Utah gets you both.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Mine is in-process. The class was useful and interesting anyway and I sent my materials in the next day. I am about 4 weeks into the cycle right now. The instructor said to expect about 60 days.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I went ahead and applied for both the FL and UT licenses. That is about as comprehensive option as an Indiana resident can currently obtain.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    I went ahead and applied for both the FL and UT licenses. That is about as comprehensive option as an Indiana resident can currently obtain.

When did you send you app for Florida in VERT? I sent mine in last Monday. Just wondering what the time frame will be. I got a tracking # but it said to wait about 3weeks before you search.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    When did you send you app for Florida in VERT? I sent mine in last Monday. Just wondering what the time frame will be. I got a tracking # but it said to wait about 3weeks before you search.

It was last spring sometime. I remember it arriving comparatively fast. 6 weeks maybe? Not sure what it would be now with the hype. UT took about 8 - 10 weeks?

Other then the added cost I have only good things to say about FL CWL process. I e-mailed them last year about getting some applications to pass out during NRA classes and they sent me a case. Yes a case of them! The packets include detailed directions and the finger print cards. $117 for 7 years and a you get more states then UT. Big difference is that UT picks up Minnesota. FL gets you New Mexico, Nebraska and Kansas.

Disclaimer: I am typing this from memory and reciprocity changes.

Top Bottom