Do you carry on your person from when you wake till bed.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you carry from the time you get up untill you go to bed, even in your own home.

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    So, I was in a heated discussion with someone that I do care about and do value her opinion. She finds it "over the top" that I carry my carry piece on me even when I am just doing things around the house. I say its pretty common and believe that someone could break into your house at any time. Sure its a small house but how do you know you can always make it to a defensive piece. I have very few handguns. They are all in one room as well. So I wear my carry gun from the time I get up till bed. Do you? Or is this behavior extreme? I will put it on even on my off days where I don't normally go out of the house.

Last edited:

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    I don't. But I don't feel that it is extreme that you do.

Thanks man, that means a lot. I tried to get the poll up but it took to long. I appreciate you vote of its not extreme :) I am hoping to show this thread to her after we get a few days worth of comments and votes.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    You need to add another option. How about "mostly no but I can get to one quickly". One within 10 feet and one in the bedroom. Now if I have the P3AT on when I come in I may forget it's on and wear it all day....That'll get me to the defense guns..

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    You need to add another option. How about "mostly no but I can get to one quickly". One within 10 feet and one in the bedroom. Now if I have the P3AT on when I come in I may forget it's on and wear it all day....That'll get me to the defense guns..

Ah, sorry about that. That is kinda what i meant by option 3. I apologize, i should of worded it better.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    If I had to guess I carry about 75% of the time around the house/work plus there are several guns around the house.
    And I don't think it's extreme to carry all the time, crime doesn't have set hours.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I may not have my pistol on me if I'm just doing stuff around the house, but if I get up and dressed to go out, I have my pistol, and it stays on until I go to get in bed. If I'm going somewhere I can't carry, it may not be on me, but it's usually close at hand.

Blessings,
    Bill

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I only have one gun available from when I wake up till when I go to bed. I don't carry it on my person, as I usually lounge around in a t-shirt and sleep pants, and it would pull my pants down. What I do is either leave it on the headboard by the bed, or take it with me out to the living room. I mostly due this not to have immediate access, but to help with being aware of where my pistol is. You never know when a relative or friend will call, maybe make plans on coming over, and most all of mine have kids now...so their safety (and that of idiot adults who know nothing about guns, but may decide to pick it up and look at it). I have three doors to my home, and all of them are protected with heavy duty security doors. My windows actually sit up from the ground, so it would be hard for someone to come through one of them (and dangerous with the broken glass and all). As such, I don't worry too much about dynamic home invasions. I do take my gun and a phone with me and sit is on the counter when I take a shower. Again, mostly because I would hate for there to be some sort of family emergency, my folks (who have a key) come over with my young nieces and they get a hold of my gun. If it isn't going to be with me, it gets locked up in a safe.

Oh, wanted to add: When outside doing work, I carry the gun with me. I mostly do so because you never know who will show up and try to rob you. However, I am more worried about the two pit bulls that live a few houses down. They have gotten out a few times. I am not sure if they are dangerous or not, but I know my next door neighbor said they went after his smaller dog (they leave his other bigger dogs alone/play with them). There have also been other dogs that I question that run the neighborhood sometimes.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    So, I was in a heated discussion with someone that I do care about and do value her opinion. She finds it "over the top" that I carry my carry piece on me even when I am just doing things around the house. I say its pretty common and believe that someone could break into your house at any time. Sure its a small house but how do you know you can always make it to a defensive piece. I have very few handguns. They are all in one room as well. So I wear my carry gun from the time I get up till bed. Do you? Or is this behavior extreme? I will put it on even on my off days where I don't normally go out of the house.

I keep my gun with me at all time, while I'm at home. If someone breaks in, I do not want to have to run to my safe to get a gun.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    My option isn't on there either...
    I don't leave the house without it, but when inside I carry depending on what I'm wearing.
    Jeans = carry
    PJ bottoms = it's in the vault with the door open about 3 or 4 feet from me.

If I'm on the other side of the house for an extended time, I take a loaded piece with me.
    I'm thinking about getting another mini-vault and just leaving one over there...

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    I assume most of us on here carry because we don't subscribe to the "It can't happen to me" mentality. "Can't happen to me" can and has occurred at any time of the day. I've read quite a few stories of folks having their doors busted in during the evening or early night and even during the middle of the day. During these types of encounters a gun in the other room is no gun at all. Remind those you love that the reason you carry is specifically for the horrific "can't happen to me" incidents and those incidents don't care whether you're at home or out on the town.

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Guns are next to the bed when I'm sleeping -- past that, handgun is in the living room all day (provided no sister's kids are over :).

Other than that, who's stupid enough to do a home invasion when I'm home?

I hate the Brinks commercial that shows the invader looking to see that someone is home, and then chooses to kick in the front door in broad daylight in a neighborhood.

Like one of the previous posters stated. My house also has strong doors and windows high off the ground. Good luck attempting a break-in without me or the dog noticing.

Top Bottom