Do you carry at the range? Might want to consider it.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Packing or not, when you have ear plugs in, how would you know whos coming behind you to snuff you out?
    first response...... situational awareness..... YOUR job to know what's going on around you. I use electronic ear muffs, that allow for excellent hearing when shots are not actually being fired. I guess I'm fortunate in that the range I belong to, keeps approaching folks INSIDE the range of my peripheral vision.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    As range officers, we always carried on the range. We figured that if someone went off, we might have to put them down. It would be the end of our club, but so be it.

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    Always packed when I worked the line for the club . . . actually, I was packing pretty much anytime I was out at the range be it practicing, RO'ing, reloading, or mowing the skeet range. OMAR was almost disappointed if one of his officers wasn't packing on his property. :D

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I don't frequent big fancy ranges like you fellas. Just go to the State areas. So I am always aware if someone else is present and what they are up to. I guess any time I have my guns out for public view, I get a bit more paranoid than normal.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    As range officers, we always carried on the range. We figured that if someone went off, we might have to put them down. It would be the end of our club, but so be it.

I don't know if it is a requirement, but it is pretty much expected for us ECPR ROs to be carrying. I carry anyways, so it is not like it is a big change for me. ;)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't think the range would be a place where I be less well armed than I am when I'm at home or anywhere else. :D

There is an excellent example from fiction illustrating why you should always have at least one loaded weapon on your person (more are better) when you at a range practicing. If you've seen "Silverado," you should remember the scene where Emmett (Scott Glenn) is in the desert practicing and the bad guys wait until he's fired all of his guns until they make their move. Emmett had not so much as a derringer in his boot loaded.

Now, that's fiction, so some will dismiss it. Fine ...

Think of this: one of the most infamous shootouts in history was between the FBI and two guys named Platte and Mattix in Miami back in 1986. In Florida, a lot of people go out to the everglades to shoot. Platte and Mattix did exactly what the bad guys in "Silverado" did ... waiting until their victims were effectively unarmed, then robbed and killed them.

Can't happen to you? Good luck.

Situational awareness is always #1, especially when you are alone (either by yourself or among strangers). Always having the means to mount a proper defense comes right after that.

Other than matches, when I go to the range and someone is there, if I don't them I'll wait in my truck until they leave. Once I'm doing my thing on the range, I make sure I check behind myself on a regular basis and I don't let anyone I don't know approach me from behind with turning to face them.

Also, DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING UNATTENDED when you go downrange to check/change targets. Whether it's simple theft or if it's someone picking up your own AR, slapping a mag in it, and shooting you, it's a bad idea to leave something unattended that should always be in your control. If you're alone, take it with you when you go downrange.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I always take a loaded sidearm and don't shoot it when going to the range. I started this YEARs ago after being "staked out" at Atterbury.

turkeykiller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    lafayette
    I don't think the range would be a place where I be less well armed than I am when I'm at home or anywhere else. :D

There is an excellent example from fiction illustrating why you should always have at least one loaded weapon on your person (more are better) when you at a range practicing. If you've seen "Silverado," you should remember the scene where Emmett (Scott Glenn) is in the desert practicing and the bad guys wait until he's fired all of his guns until they make their move. Emmett had not so much as a derringer in his boot loaded.

Now, that's fiction, so some will dismiss it. Fine ...

Think of this: one of the most infamous shootouts in history was between the FBI and two guys named Platte and Mattix in Miami back in 1986. In Florida, a lot of people go out to the everglades to shoot. Platte and Mattix did exactly what the bad guys in "Silverado" did ... waiting until their victims were effectively unarmed, then robbed and killed them.

Can't happen to you? Good luck.

Situational awareness is always #1, especially when you are alone (either by yourself or among strangers). Always having the means to mount a proper defense comes right after that.

Other than matches, when I go to the range and someone is there, if I don't them I'll wait in my truck until they leave. Once I'm doing my thing on the range, I make sure I check behind myself on a regular basis and I don't let anyone I don't know approach me from behind with turning to face them.

Also, DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING UNATTENDED when you go downrange to check/change targets. Whether it's simple theft or if it's someone picking up your own AR, slapping a mag in it, and shooting you, it's a bad idea to leave something unattended that should always be in your control. If you're alone, take it with you when you go downrange.
    :thumbsup::thumbsup: sound advise!

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    One of the ranges that I frequent had an unbalanced person do a suicide in the range. It is a public venue so you never know who you will run into there.

I may take four or five guns to the range to shoot depending upon my cleaning tolerance, but I always have one loaded and concealed just in case it's needed.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South

Good lord.

It is a terrible thing to think about, sure. However, the only thing I can see that is worse than having to shoot someone out at the range, shooting others, is not having the ability to do so. I thought in my mind that it is a 1 in 100,000 chance that it would ever happen. However, people do win the lottery. I'm glad I never had to do anything other than provide firearm instruction.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Maybe it is worth thinking about, and preparing for the very unlikely event. But it is a completely different thing to make the statement on the internet. You wording also leaves something to be desired. "Put them down" makes it sound like a stray dog or an injured racehorse. Anti-gun people or people who are undecided read statements like that and do not understand at all. It sounds like a "gun-nut" type of statement. It is a free country say what you want, but as gun owners we are many times our own worst enemy and you statement seems like a prime example to me.

Top Bottom