• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • samwathegreat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    I carry +1...originally started carrying +1 because once I chambered a round from the mag, I could hear the cartridges move every time I took a step (must be a little loose). Drop the mag, and fill it back up -- problem solved, tight fit, no more wiggle room. :ingo:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Why not carry as much rounds as you can?
    Fully loaded mag and one in the chamber is the way to go in my opinion.
    If I could I would even carry two in the chamber.
    And of course extra mags on top of that, just in case.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    So ...where are y'all getting these round magazines from? All of mine look more long and rectangular than round. :dunno: :D

Because most handguns are advertized with their magazine capacity and a +1, I imagine that's what the manufacture had intended the would function. Anything less is sorta like only filling up your vehicles gas tank to 7/8ths full or ordering your pizza with a slice missing ...or playing a guitar with only five strings (though, I guess if you're Ron Wood, you might do that).

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    You guys that don't +1 will feel pretty silly when you need that
    one extra round to finish yourself off as the zombies descend upon
    you and start to eat.

You raise the gun and get a click instead of a bang.

:twocents:

Go on, tell me a zombie movie where that does not happen.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Um, rack the slide, let the gun do its job.
    Um Nooooo.........

I want to carry one in the chamber, then remove the mag to replace it, so the gun has 6 in the mag and one in the chamber- hence 6 +1.

The Taurus is a DAO only on the first shot, therefore, once the slide is racked, the hammer is fully cocked and I most certainly DO NOT want to run around with a fully loaded, fully cocked hammer for my EDC!! You cannot manually lower the hammer on this gun after racking it unless you fire it.

As I said, I want to have the gun fully loaded with one in the chamber (7 total) and a relaxed hammer, so when the trigger is first pulled, it cocks the hammer in DAO mode until the first shot is fired, then the semi-auto rack takes over for the next shot.

That was my question..... Is it possible to do this? If so, I don't see how, but hopefully someone maybe has tried something else that I haven't yet.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Um Nooooo.........

I want to carry one in the chamber, then remove the mag to replace it, so the gun has 6 in the mag and one in the chamber- hence 6 +1.

The Taurus is a DAO only on the first shot, therefore, once the slide is racked, the hammer is fully cocked and I most certainly DO NOT want to run around with a fully loaded, fully cocked hammer for my EDC!! You cannot manually lower the hammer on this gun after racking it unless you fire it.

As I said, I want to have the gun fully loaded with one in the chamber (7 total) and a relaxed hammer, so when the trigger is first pulled, it cocks the hammer in DAO mode until the first shot is fired, then the semi-auto rack takes over for the next shot.

That was my question..... Is it possible to do this? If so, I don't see how, but hopefully someone maybe has tried something else that I haven't yet.

Just by the sheer nature of what DA and SA both mean, it is imposible to be DAO on the first shot with the hammer fully cocked.

The Taurus and S&W that you mentioned in your previous post, are both DAO = Double Action ONLY, repeat ONLY. So you don't really need to worry about running around cocked and locked.

Taurus Specs
    S&W Bodyguard Specs

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Just by the sheer nature of what DA and SA both mean, it is imposible to be DAO on the first shot with the hammer fully cocked.

The Taurus and S&W that you mentioned in your previous post, are both DAO = Double Action ONLY, repeat ONLY. So you don't really need to worry about running around cocked and locked.

Taurus Specs
    S&W Bodyguard Specs
    First and foremost, no need for the other smartazz, moronic post in the "liar" thread you made in reference to my question here. Foolish and unecessary... :rolleyes:

Secondly, I'm fully aware of the nomenclature of the gun that I OWN, as well as, I certainly know how to operate it and fully know how IT operates. I don't need to read specs on the internet to know how it works... :rolleyes:

What I'm trying to get across to anyone that can help is, I'd like to carry my gun with 6 +1, but don't want the hammer cocked when doing it.

1. If I'm holding the empty gun in my hand with the slide closed and the hammer uncocked, a full stroke of the trigger will activate the hammer in DAO mode.

2. If I take the same situation and now add a full mag., racking the slide to put one in the chamber, the hammer cock rail under the slide WILL fully cock the hammer in preparation for that round to be fired.

3. I can then take the mag. of only 5 back out (because a round has now been installed into the chamber) and install another round into the mag. to fill it up full to capacity of 6 rounds.

4. Once I re-install the mag. back into the gun, the gun is now "full", but the hammer is still cocked from the first round that was chambered, but never fired.

On guns with exposed hammers, this wouldn't be a big deal, because you could easily manually lower the hammer on the firing pin and still have a round safely in the chamber and a full mag.

With the Taurus TCP .380, you cannot get to the hammer, because it's nearly enclosed and shrouded, where you cannot lower the hammer like you can with an exposed hammer gun.

Get it now???

The only way I can think of doing this on my gun, is to *slowly* rack the slide to install a round and then *slowly* closing it, while holding the trigger, so the sear will disengage from the hammer while the slide is moving forward.

THEN, I believe I could actually have a chambered round with the hammer down, where the gun will operate in the DAO mode as I want it to. I guess I need to practice with it more to figure it out.

By the way junior, "hypothetically speaking", I own everything I say I do......

Last edited:

jlgray

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2011
    Clarksville
    i do carry with my beretta +1 due to i know where the hammer is, but i'm having a very hard time with my g23. and ya let me have it, but i am very fond of it and very comfortable carrying it.

long story short i had a gen1 g17 was a police trade in, and was very worn in. one day i got home and took it out of the holster. was putting it into the cabinet i bumped the door then pop, and no my bugger hooker was not near it...

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    i do carry with my beretta +1 due to i know where the hammer is, but i'm having a very hard time with my g23. and ya let me have it, but i am very fond of it and very comfortable carrying it.

long story short i had a gen1 g17 was a police trade in, and was very worn in. one day i got home and took it out of the holster. was putting it into the cabinet i bumped the door then pop, and no my bugger hooker was not near it...

Thanks for reminding yet AGAIN of another reason I don't do Glocks.

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    Who cares if you remember how many rounds you have in the gun? Are you going to count them as you defend yourself?

Handguns are already compromises. Carry as much ammo as you can. Don't short yourself. Top off your magazines if you have the luxury. :yesway:

Didn't want the above post to get buried in the shuffle since it makes good sense. Worth a re-read.

It's easy to count the cycled rounds at the range under minimal pressure but under rapid fire conditions, especially under split second self-defense conditions, few probably would count but training to count is always a good idea. The other way is when it doesn't go BANG anymore, drop the mag and shove in another one, etc. You know the drill.

Whatever you do and if it functions in your personal firearm/s, do the same routine and commit to it. I recently started carrying a 7 round down from 10 (plus spare mags) and don't do the +1 thing but INGO has me thinking.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    First and foremost, no need for the other smartazz, moronic post in the "liar" thread you made in reference to my question here. Foolish and unecessary... :rolleyes:

Secondly, I'm fully aware of the nomenclature of the gun that I OWN, as well as, I certainly know how to operate it and fully know how IT operates. I don't need to read specs on the internet to know how it works... :rolleyes:

What I'm trying to get across to anyone that can help is, I'd like to carry my gun with 6 +1, but don't want the hammer cocked when doing it.

1. If I'm holding the empty gun in my hand with the slide closed and the hammer uncocked, a full stroke of the trigger will activate the hammer in DAO mode.

2. If I take the same situation and now add a full mag., racking the slide to put one in the chamber, the hammer cock rail under the slide WILL fully cock the hammer in preparation for that round to be fired.

3. I can then take the mag. of only 5 back out (because a round has now been installed into the chamber) and install another round into the mag. to fill it up full to capacity of 6 rounds.

4. Once I re-install the mag. back into the gun, the gun is now "full", but the hammer is still cocked from the first round that was chambered, but never fired.

On guns with exposed hammers, this wouldn't be a big deal, because you could easily manually lower the hammer on the firing pin and still have a round safely in the chamber and a full mag.

With the Taurus TCP .380, you cannot get to the hammer, because it's nearly enclosed and shrouded, where you cannot lower the hammer like you can with an exposed hammer gun.

Get it now???

The only way I can think of doing this on my gun, is to *slowly* rack the slide to install a round and then *slowly* closing it, while holding the trigger, so the sear will disengage from the hammer while the slide is moving forward.

THEN, I believe I could actually have a chambered round with the hammer down, where the gun will operate in the DAO mode as I want it to. I guess I need to practice with it more to figure it out.

By the way junior, "hypothetically speaking", I own everything I say I do......

Umm, if your hammer is staying back on your TCP when you cycle the slide, you may be having a mechanical malfunction. The TCP, BG 380, Ruger LCP, along with the Kel-Tec P3-AT are all DAO, meaning they are always double action, hammer only comes back when you pull the trigger.

Sounds to me like Side armed might be on to something with reading the specs of the pistol in question, might be worth a try:twocents:

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    Umm, if your hammer is staying back on your TCP when you cycle the slide, you may be having a mechanical malfunction. The TCP, BG 380, Ruger LCP, along with the Kel-Tec P3-AT are all DAO, meaning they are always double action, hammer only comes back when you pull the trigger.

Sounds to me like Side armed might be on to something with reading the specs of the pistol in question, might be worth a try:twocents:

^^ You beat me too it ..... :D

BODYGUARD® 380
    $399.00 *
    *Suggested Retail, Dealer Sets Actual Pricing
    Model: BODYGUARD® 380
    Caliber: .380 Auto
    Capacity: 6+1 Rounds
    Barrel Length: 2.75" / 7.0 cm
    Frame Size: Compact
    Action: Double Action Only (Hammer Fired)
    Front Sight: Stainless Steel
    Rear Sight: Drift Adjustable
    Grip: Polymer
    Overall Length: 5.25" / 13.3 cm
    Weight: 11.85 oz / 335.9 g
    Frame Material: Polymer
    Material: Stainless Steel w/Melonite® Finish
    Finish: Matte Black
    Purpose: Personal Protection
    Professional / Duty

Taurus TCP

Model: 738B
    Finish: Blue Steel
    Caliber: .380 ACP
    Grips: Checkered Polymer
    UPC: 7-25327-60696-3
    Capacity: 6 +1
    Weight: 10.2
    Barrel Length: 2.84"
    Construction: Steel
    Frame: Compact
    Action: DAO
    Front Sight: Fixed
    Length: 5-1/4"
    Trigger Type: Smooth
    Order #: 1-738031 MSRP: $336.00

If your hammer is not at rest on the above firearms when your finger is not on the trigger then I would not load the firearms and send them to be inspected immediately. IF you have a cocked and locked hammer on a DAO firearm with one in the chamber you are holding a ticking time bomb!!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom