• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnjw77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    I got my glock 23 taken from me in a felony drug charge (save the lectures my life has changed) and got it back in like 3 weeks. After all my court stuff was over they asked for the gun back in the plea agreement, and of course I said I sold it already (which I sold it that night for $200 with 2 clips and about 20 shells shot through it :xmad:). I know they wouldnt have melted it, so where the hell do you think it woulda ended up? Im guessing in the holster of some lieutenant at the bargersville police department. Good news is I got it dropped to a misdemeanor and im hoping to get approved for my cc soon :D.

Brandan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    West Side
    I was recently told by a friend that if you have to use your handgun for personal defense the police will automatically melt you gun down. Is this true? I understand that there needs to be an investigation, but destroying the weapon no matter what seems excessive. I'm about to buy a new CCW and if this is true I would rather buy in the $500-$600 range then drop a thousand plus on a handgun and loose it if I ever have to use it.

I am very surprised no one has made my point yet. My life is priceless. . . . I will spend the appropriate amount to KNOW that my firearm will fire EVERY TIME and every time ACCURATELY! I find no problem putting my own life in the hands of my Glock. You must trust your gun with your life, literally, after all that is why you are buying it right? I do exactly that with Glock. I know it will be there for me when I need it and will perform better than I will in a tight situation. The weak link in a bind is the person operating it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    I got my glock 23 ...I sold it that night for $200 with 2 clips :nono: and about 20 shells shot through it...

stripperclipsglockmagazjc8.jpg

Clips:

38.jpg
    1631010.jpg

Magazines:

39.jpg

Shells:

shells2.jpg

Not shells:

300px-CartridgeComparison.jpg
    ..."rounds" (of ammunition) or "cartridges"

FYI...;)

johnjw77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    shells and clips, i mean is it seriously that foreign to you that you spent that much time making fun of my pronunciation???

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Actually, in my experience, two months is about normal time to get a handgun back if the State Police Lab is used to check the handgun. Most of the jurisdictions in Indiana use the State Police Lab because they don't have the facilities or certified personnel.

And the long time frame is not solely on the ISP either. I know that my local PD waits until they have enough guns to check before they take them to the lab.

And as a side point, it really grates on me whensomebody calls a magazine a clip. I wish I could wave a magic wand and make it stop.

johnjw77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    ok well im sorry im not up with the gun lingo, I know nothing about handguns and have always heard them called clips. I just find it funny that a thread posted about guns being melted has now turned into a bash on me because I called a "magazine" a clip, give me a break. Is it really that painful to the ears??????? :dunno:

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Two stories.

Know a guy that lost a Glock in a residential burglary. About two years later it turned up taken off of a felon. Don't know if it was used in a crime or merely found at the time of an arrest. The involved PD, Allen County, called the guy to let him know his pistol was recovered, and offered to return it.

Also, in Allen County several years before there was a news-making incident in which a confiscated gun was to have been destroyed (don't remember the circumstances). Instead it was given to a government official's friend. The friend's kid used it in a shooting. A job was lost over that, and a career ruined in addition to the pain and suffering brought to the shooting victim and his family.

To me, there is a question of ethics involved as well as one of liability. If the law requires a gun to be destroyed, I think a responsible law enforcment agency/officer should do so regardless of whether it is a pristine high-end 1911 or a piece of junk. If protocol isn't followed and the gun is later discovered through some untoward incident, there could be career damage in addtion to civil liability. Sometimes even LEOs don't do the right thing. Temptation abounds.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    johnjw77-

Please don't take any personal offense here. If you haven't been around firearms forums before, this is a common thing to come up. I don't think anyone was trying to single you out-- they were just trying to make sure the "myth" doesn't keep going if someone were to read your above post.

TV and movies do a poor job of education the masses on guns. This is very commonly seen with people referring to "clips" instead of "magazines". The above pictures show a great example of each.

Everyone should just take it as a lesson learned and move on. Thanks again INGO!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    johnjw77-

Please don't take any personal offense here. If you haven't been around firearms forums before, this is a common thing to come up. I don't think anyone was trying to single you out-- they were just trying to make sure the "myth" doesn't keep going if someone were to read your above post.

TV and movies do a poor job of education the masses on guns. This is very commonly seen with people referring to "clips" instead of "magazines". The above pictures show a great example of each.

Everyone should just take it as a lesson learned and move on. Thanks again INGO!

What he said! :yesway: :)

The point of my pics was to be informative/educational...with a bit of slightly over-the-top humor (the paper clips and seashells) tossed in fer grins. :D My post wasn't intended to be demeaning/insulting, my apologies if you felt that it was.

I am sure most of us here get sick of hearing the biased/misleading wording the useful idiots in the media (mis) use to malign firearms ("ASSAULT WEAPONS!!", "COP-KILLER BULLETS!!" "HIGH-POWERED*" :puke: etc.) or us as firearm owners ("Gun-nuts", "the gun lobby" :blahblah:). So, many of us are of the mind that if the ax-grinders/agenda carriers in the "news" room can't or intentionally won't get the terminology right, at least we, as gun owners should use the correct terminology, instead of the words the media likes to use to scare the :sheep:-le. This desire for accuracy trickles down to the various nomenclature as well.

Cheers, johnjw :cheers:

* Did anyone else catch this "gem" from the ASSociated Press about the Santa wacko:

"A search of Pardo's own home in Montrose, a suburb northeast of Los Angeles, turned up racing fuel, five empty boxes for high-powered semi-automatic handguns :bs: :nono: and two high-powered shotguns. :scratch: :rolleyes:"

:ranton:

Top Bottom