Do Kids Spend More Time in School Nowadays?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Growing up I seem to remember my mom saying that public school hours were a lot shorter when she was a kid then they are nowadays. This is about the only thing I can remember that supports my general impression that over the last century, the amount of time spent by your average child in school vs at home has increased significantly. I'd never really done any research or seen any concrete numbers to back that up, though, so I was wondering if that's actually the case? My google skill seem to again be failing me at finding anywhere that talks about numbers for this, so I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge they can share on this question?

(Question was twigged by this post: https://www.indianagunowners.com/th...his-way-too-easy.525377/page-169#post-9485460)

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Day to day, I don't know that kids spend more time in school. But over the course of their schooling they do. There are school systems with day care, pre-school, kindergarten then the standard grades. So they are getting a good portion of the kids at age 4 or 5.

Additionaly the many school systems have summer and after school programs for the kids that have both parents working. so, in short, it seems that the school have the kids more years and play a bigger role in their lives.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    And in the last few years all day kindergarten and school sponsored childcare/preschools have become the mainstream.
    STATE SAYS, Indoctrination MUST START Early :rolleyes: Public Education lost their way many years ago.
    Reading, Writing, Arithmetic, Civics, Cursive, How to Balance a Checkbook, Budget, Common Sense Life Skills - How to Read a Map. 2 of our Grown Children are Teachers, they Defend Public Education but say they Only Teach to Pass the State Mandated Tests. Time in School, seems there were 7 or 8, 50 minute classes and a 40-50 minute lunch period. Grade Schools NEED Recess. We walked to the Grade School, Bussed to Jr & Sr High School. Sports after School, Part Time Job after that. In my family, a part time Job was expected. Today, many do Not Work or Want to Work. At 18, my HS Friends were looking for the Freedom of Moving Out being on their Own - Independent. Things have Changed but NOT for the Better.
    ***I feel the Need to add. My Parents, GOD Love them guided me to be a Competent Common Sense Respectful Person, that If you Work Hard, Seek Education, Save your Money, Avoid Malingerers, Find a Good Mate that You can Succeed in this Short Life. My Parents owned NO Credit Cards. Paid Cash, or We did Not Need It.
    Worked Long Hours, Every Day, Sick or Not, Hospitalization was the Only time that I saw my parents miss a day of work. The very few Times that I was a Disrespectful Teenager, I Quickly learned to Shut My Mouth because Mom Would and Could Teach Me Manners. This Country has Lost Respect for Our Fellow Citizens and the Aged. Cherish Your Parents, You have but ONE Mom & Dad, I'd trade everything to give them a few more years. SOAPBOX OFF :thumbsup:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom