• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SedahDrol

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Last I checked most shooting ranges are a fixed place of business. Many also do repair work. Both of which are allowed in the IC. Remember you are allowed to move from one dwelling or place of business to another so long as you carry it appropriately.

So yes you can take your handgun to a shooting range (as long as it's at someones dwelling or place of business) if you have it unloaded and in a secure wrapper (whatever that means). Also note that if you have a hunting license you can also transport your handgun in your vehicle unloaded and in a secure wrapper. Of course rifles and shotguns are a completely different they are allowed to be carried without any sort of restrictions except illegal firearms.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Last I checked most shooting ranges are a fixed place of business. Many also do repair work. Both of which are allowed in the IC. Remember you are allowed to move from one dwelling or place of business to another so long as you carry it appropriately.

So yes you can take your handgun to a shooting range (as long as it's at someones dwelling or place of business) if you have it unloaded and in a secure wrapper (whatever that means). Also note that if you have a hunting license you can also transport your handgun in your vehicle unloaded and in a secure wrapper. Of course rifles and shotguns are a completely different they are allowed to be carried without any sort of restrictions except illegal firearms.

IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.

IC states diferently
    Yes, ranges are a fixed place of business. However, unless "the person" works there (eg, it is "the person's...fixed place of business"), a LTCH is necessary to transport the handgun to the range. "Carrying it appropriately" would mean carrying it with your LTCH in your pocket.

ETA: and even if the range IS that person's fixed place of business, it's been argued that you can transport it there only once, as in "after purchase" or "after repair" or "i just moved here," not as in "back and forth from my house to my business."

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    (11) any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or in moving from one dwelling or business to another.

I believe you are reading this part wrong, the important word is, HIS.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

So yes you can take your handgun to a shooting range (as long as it's at someones dwelling or place of business)...

WRONG

The place of repair is covered but only your dwelling or your fixed place of business according to code.

(and you were corrected the last time you posted this as well.)

jboritzki

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    Beech Grove
    This is related, so does anyone know if you can legally carry a rifle or a shotgun either on your person or in your vehicle? I am wondering not because I want to, but I'm just curious. The guy that went to the Obama rally had an AR15 to prove a point. I wondered if that was actually legal. Of course, if it is legal, I'm sure anyone that did it would have the police called on them 5 times for every half mile they walked.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    This is related, so does anyone know if you can legally carry a rifle or a shotgun either on your person or in your vehicle? I am wondering not because I want to, but I'm just curious. The guy that went to the Obama rally had an AR15 to prove a point. I wondered if that was actually legal. Of course, if it is legal, I'm sure anyone that did it would have the police called on them 5 times for every half mile they walked.

perfectly legal in Indiana

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009

There is a post on INGO about a guy who road his motorcycle from Lafayette to Indy(?) with a shotgun on his back and didn't get stopped.

I searched for it but couldn't find it.

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Without my LTCH...
    "Can I carry it on me at the grocery?" NO!
    "Can I carry it on me on the street?" NO!
    "Can I carry it on me in my car?" NO!
    "Can I have it in the car while going to the range?" NO!
    "Can I have it in my car but not on my body in plain sight?" NO!
    "Can I have it stowed in my car out of sight, like in my glovebox or something?" NO!
    "Can I have it stowed in the trunk of my car?" NO!
    "Can I have it stowed in the trunk of my car locked in a box?" NO!
    "Can I have it stowed in the trunk of my car, field stripped, unloaded, with each piece locked in a separate hard container?" NO!
    "Not even if I'm going to the range?" NO!
    "What if I'm going to the range?" NO!
    "Even if I'm going to the range to transact business?" NO!
    "What about if I'm going to go shoot at the range?" NO!
    "What about if I'm going to go to the range, but just to chat with people, not to shoot there?" NO!
    "What if a police officer told me it was okay?" NO!
    "What if I have my LTCH?" YES!

Solution: Get your LTCH

Last edited:

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.

IC states diferently

Crobbins2009, I suppose you *could* interpret this to mean that you're kosher to carry your handgun anytime you're going to anyone's home or to any business...

I suppose a judge *could* interpret this to mean that you're kosher to carry your handgun only from place of purchase, directly to either your legal dwelling or fixed place of business.

The problems are:

1. It's your arse in a sling.
    2. The burden of proof, unfortunately, will be upon you if questioned.
    3. As has been mentioned by others, there is plenty of case-law supporting the interpretation which opposes your own.
    Technically, "the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"... If you're willing to be our test case, I'll watch with much interest & perhaps even support you, if I like the way you & your lawyer(s) go about it. If you're not willing to be our test case, then I'd suggest keeping your handguns at home until you get your LTCH.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Crobbins2009, I suppose you *could* interpret this to mean that you're kosher to carry your handgun anytime you're going to anyone's home or to any business...

I suppose a judge *could* interpret this to mean that you're kosher to carry your handgun only from place of purchase, directly to either your legal dwelling or fixed place of business.

The problems are:

1. It's your arse in a sling.
    2. The burden of proof, unfortunately, will be upon you if questioned.
    3. As has been mentioned by others, there is plenty of case-law supporting the interpretation which opposes your own.
    Technically, "the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"... If you're willing to be our test case, I'll watch with much interest & perhaps even support you, if I like the way you & your lawyer(s) go about it. If you're not willing to be our test case, then I'd suggest keeping your handguns at home until you get your LTCH.

I think it's pretty much crystal clear here that it means the person who is carrying the gun. It doesn't say, "A home, A fixed dwelling, A place of business." It says, "THE persons home....." THE person is clearly the person mentioned prior, aka the person carrying the handgun.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I know I need one eventually, and I plan on getting it, but I was wondering if I had to have one to shoot my pistol.

I have heard from people around here that you don't have to have a license to carry if you are just taking your pistol to the range to shoot with the ammo stored seperatly in the vehicle. I'm not sure if this is true or not. I also read somewhere that some ranges will ask you for it before you shoot there. Just curious on what the actual law is here and I couldn't find it anywhere online
    Code:

It would be true if you lived in Illinois, but they don't have a LTCH.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Without my LTCH...
    "Can I carry it on me at the grocery?" NO!
    "Can I carry it on me on the street?" NO!
    "Can I carry it on me in my car?" NO!
    "Can I have it in the car while going to the range?" NO!
    "Can I have it in my car but not on my body in plain sight?" NO!
    "Can I have it stowed in my car out of sight, like in my glovebox or something?" NO!
    "Can I have it stowed in the trunk of my car?" NO!
    "Can I have it stowed in the trunk of my car locked in a box?" NO!
    "Can I have it stowed in the trunk of my car, field stripped, unloaded, with each piece locked in a separate hard container?" NO!
    "Not even if I'm going to the range?" NO!
    "What if I'm going to the range?" NO!
    "Even if I'm going to the range to transact business?" NO!
    "What about if I'm going to go shoot at the range?" NO!
    "What about if I'm going to go to the range, but just to chat with people, not to shoot there?" NO!
    "What if a police officer told me it was okay?" NO!
    "What if I have my LTCH?" YES!

Solution: Get your LTCH
    This post has given this thread eternal FAQdom fame. :)

forklfteddie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    i need to know if the states i am driving through honor my LTC and what kind of permits i need to hunt hogs in alabama !!!

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    i need to know if the states i am driving through honor my LTC and what kind of permits i need to hunt hogs in alabama !!!

All states that you'll drive through to get to AL will honor our LTCH. Indiana (obviously :D), Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama. As far as the permitted carry method, you'd have to look that up. I also have no idea as to what is required to hunt in the state. handgunlaw.us is a great place to start.

Top Bottom