DNR Proposal for .243 and up rifle for deer season?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Nobody wants to work for anything anymore.

True. I want to walk the 300 yards to my woods(I know, I need a 4 wheeler), shoot a deer minutes after legal shootin time, text my wife to bring the tractor and be back in my Lazy Boy by 10. Is that wrong?:dunno:

Last year it was really cold and the wife took some extra time to get all bundled up before bringing the tractor. I didn't hit my recliner till after noon. Boy was I pi$$ed.:xmad:

I am interested in putting meat in my freezer in the most efficient way possible. You guys who want to go all Fred Bear, spirit of the wild, communing with nature, etc, have at it. I just wanna choot my deers and get back where it's warm.;)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I am interested in putting meat in my freezer in the most efficient way possible. You guys who want to go all Fred Bear, spirit of the wild, communing with nature, etc, have at it. I just wanna choot my deers and get back where it's warm.;)

I think there is room for both sides on this. Although those of us interested in the most efficient harvest of meat will always risk stepping on the toes of the trophy hunters.

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    I like the idea. I hope that the rumor is true. I still will not get rid of the .450 even if it would pass.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    What about the .410 slug? I thought that was the answer to the children deer hunting problem?
    I didn't say there were no other options, I said "it would be nice" and it would. My oldest, who is ten, uses a. 44. The recoil on it is imo about equivalent with a. 410. My middle son, 8,is small for his age and recoil sensitive. Those two are not options for him. The . 357, as someone else mentioned, may be an option. I don't know as I have never shot that caliber in a rifle. I personally only hunt with a bow or a flintlock. I like the challenge and, as someone else up thread so condescindingly put it "the Fred Bear spirit of the wild "way. That is my decision and preference. However I do not feel the need to force my preferences on to others and rifles will make some nice options for some people.

Last edited:

cedarthicket

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    Check out the new proposals here:
    DNR: Rule/Regulation Changes

For the full text (not summary) of the proposed changes please go to:
    http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-DNR_General_FW_Proposed_Rules.pdf

Public Comments
    A public hearing has not yet been scheduled. More information will be available at a later date regarding the submission of comments and the public hearing(s).

The rule language will be presented to the Natural Resources Commission for preliminary adoption at their meeting on September 16, 2014. Public comments cannot be submitted to the Natural Resources Commission for this rule package at this time. We will let you know once the public comment period starts. For questions or for more information, send an email to dfwinput@dnr.IN.gov

Last edited:

pike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    sounthern
    I for one would like to see a single shot only rule for public land and I see no need for any additional calibers. The last time I hunted public ground on opening day I was scared. Shots ringing out every where, 4-5 from what sounded like the same hunter. There is no way that most people could fire that fast and actually aim. I no longer venture on public ground on the weekends and only go through the week if I have no other place to go. Opening the calibers up would keep me away all of the time.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I for one would like to see a single shot only rule for public land and I see no need for any additional calibers. The last time I hunted public ground on opening day I was scared. Shots ringing out every where, 4-5 from what sounded like the same hunter. There is no way that most people could fire that fast and actually aim. I no longer venture on public ground on the weekends and only go through the week if I have no other place to go. Opening the calibers up would keep me away all of the time.

What you experienced was not the fault of the gun nor the caliber.

Or the Alcohol....

You witnessed bad DNA. :(

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    Plus, on public land I don't know if they will change it or not. They might not. On public land I think that they should be able to tell you and I what we can use. On private property I like the idea of letting us use pretty much what ever we want to use. Thank you DNR for listening to many of us out there.

Top Bottom